The New Raith Rovers Thread

We keep hearing that players who would improve our squad will be considered. We are also apparently looking to add to the defense. Megwa would certainly do that and if available we should try and get. I did think though that IM was hinting at another CH giving us 4 when fit. Would Danny Wilson be a good shout, available, experienced, only 32, 6ft 2 and could allow us to play a 4 or 3 at the back.

1 hour ago, Brashy's Boots said:

Do Club 1883 members get discount at the club shop / portakabin / kiosk / hut / tin box? Some money off one of them thar new hoodies would be just dandy. How do you prove membership?

Not sure about club 1883 but season ticket holders definitely get 10% off in the shop. 

It's actually incredible just how quickly the mood among the fans has turned really negative after a "meh" league cup campaign.  Listening to the Terrace Podcast there and @McGuigan1978 even convinced Craig Telfer to change his prediction to have us finishing outside the playoffs.  This isn't a dig at you btw Shaughan as I totally get where you were coming from.  I disagree with you, and I am confident we'll be challenging for the title, but I understand your reasons for believing we won't be.

It's been a while since there was anything really positive coming out from the club on social media and it really demonstrates that we're only ever a couple of weeks away from doom and gloom.  Given what we've had to suffer as a fanbase over the last 20 years it's understandable but, for me, it really does feel different now.

I also appreciate that P&B and Twitter doesn't necessarily reflect the whole support, but the booing at HT on Saturday would suggest the negativity isn't limited to a few.

4 minutes ago, AllanJM said:

It's actually incredible just how quickly the mood among the fans has turned really negative after a "meh" league cup campaign.  Listening to the Terrace Podcast there and @McGuigan1978 even convinced Craig Telfer to change his prediction to have us finishing outside the playoffs.  This isn't a dig at you btw Shaughan as I totally get where you were coming from.  I disagree with you, and I am confident we'll be challenging for the title, but I understand your reasons for believing we won't be.

It's been a while since there was anything really positive coming out from the club on social media and it really demonstrates that we're only ever a couple of weeks away from doom and gloom.  Given what we've had to suffer as a fanbase over the last 20 years it's understandable but, for me, it really does feel different now.

I also appreciate that P&B and Twitter doesn't necessarily reflect the whole support, but the booing at HT on Saturday would suggest the negativity isn't limited to a few.

Strap yourself in, as I wouldnt be surprised if we have a similar season to 94/5 this year (apart from the league cup win)

in 1994/5 it took us 6 games to register a league win. After losing away to Dundee on 10th December, we went 14 league games unbeaten (it's always Airdrie), and won the league.

As we know from last year, you don't win league in December, and I think it going to be a long but ultimately fruitful season.

12 minutes ago, AllanJM said:

Get what your saying mate and we done our business maybe too early in the summer, and it’s lost its feel good factor a bit, coupled with our usual injury issues and maybe a hangover of sorts from last year. I think a signing or 2 might lift the spirits this week 

32 minutes ago, AllanJM said:

I don't think we'll finish outside the playoffs but I can see why people are maybe tempering their expectations. It's a hard one to gauge. Last season we picked up as many points against the team who stunk the joint out in bottom as we did against the eventual winners. I don't think the gap between ourselves and Partick was particularly reflective of how close the teams were either.

At the moment it feels like we've got the players but it's the system we struggle with. It can sometimes feel like we're wedded to a 4-2-3-1 where we'll not really dominate games. In particular our centre forwards might find we're not getting as much as we'd hope out our centre forwards. 

But at the same time, we were relatively mince last season until Shaun Byrne came in when we then looked a lot more assured. I think Hanlon and Vaughan returning with a couple of additional signings could be quite transformative.

Vaughan and particular is a level above in terms of making things happen up top. A perfect example was his goal last time we were up at Inverness.

I think there's a degree where people are already certain Hanlon is out until November and we'll keep getting told he'll be a week or two away.

I feel the same now as I did so pretty much from the turn of the year onwards - that after winning so many close games by 1 goal and winning so many late on, we haven't found a system that makes us "look" like title challengers who can get over that line.  Teams became aware of that ferocious work ethic and drive that got us there, and we didn't have an answer to that - and I'm still not sure we do.

I'm happy with the signings we have made in terms of quality, but I don't think enough has changed in an attacking sense yet.  We needed another option up top for about half of last season, and if anything we are weaker having lost Gullan/Rudden.  Granted they weren't particularly effective,  but they were an option at least.  I like Hamilton alot, and I don't think constantly being in and out of the team has helped him - but he hasn't done enough for us in front of goal.  There were some fantastic crosses into the box on Saturday,  and i don't think he was within 5 yards of any of them.

There is still time of course, and I may be proved wrong, but my slight concern is that we will end up with a side who is tighter at the back and gives less away but ultimately doesn't create or score enough to do better than a playoff spot.  

Appreciate that is a slightly harsh appraisal,  but the playoffs for me highlighted how difficult gaining promotion via that route is - if the club want promotion, its got to be by winning the title, and I don't think we are quite there (yet)

I agree the positive news from the club has been quite slow recently. If Hanlon and Vaughan can get fit and we add a striker then the mood may lift. Recent performances have been poor and most fans are saying the same. We need a striker, we need to know what's happening with Hanlon as everything is vague and a bit Keith Watson like.

It doesn't also help that Partick and Ayr have made some really good signings.

3 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

I feel the same now as I did so pretty much from the turn of the year onwards - that after winning so many close games by 1 goal and winning so many late on, we haven't found a system that makes us "look" like title challengers who can get over that line.  Teams became aware of that ferocious work ethic and drive that got us there, and we didn't have an answer to that - and I'm still not sure we do.

I'm happy with the signings we have made in terms of quality, but I don't think enough has changed in an attacking sense yet.  We needed another option up top for about half of last season, and if anything we are weaker having lost Gullan/Rudden.  Granted they weren't particularly effective,  but they were an option at least.  I like Hamilton alot, and I don't think constantly being in and out of the team has helped him - but he hasn't done enough for us in front of goal.  There were some fantastic crosses into the box on Saturday,  and i don't think he was within 5 yards of any of them.

There is still time of course, and I may be proved wrong, but my slight concern is that we will end up with a side who is tighter at the back and gives less away but ultimately doesn't create or score enough to do better than a playoff spot.  

Appreciate that is a slightly harsh appraisal,  but the playoffs for me highlighted how difficult gaining promotion via that route is - if the club want promotion, its got to be by winning the title, and I don't think we are quite there (yet)

You see this quite a lot. Jack goes back post, ball comes in front post and vice-versa, there is a bit of a lacking understanding between the players which you'd think they're working on every day and week.

But really, its only a good cross if it reaches its target. You should never play a pass to where you think someone should be, you always play to where the player is or is moving to. The onus is always on the player with the ball to ensure it makes it to the player he's aiming for, thats the case for every pass, cross, throw in etc anywhere on the pitch. Give them the ball to their feet or into their direct path and trust them to do something with it. An aimless (regardless of how ideal it looks) cross into the area to me is just like a punt up the pitch, speculative and low percentage.

The only time i'd argue it makes sense to do that is a quick, drilled cutback across the 6 yard line, in that area you should expect players to be waiting

11 minutes ago, CountryBumpkin said:

You see this quite a lot. Jack goes back post, ball comes in front post and vice-versa, there is a bit of a lacking understanding between the players which you'd think they're working on every day and week.

But really, its only a good cross if it reaches its target. You should never play a pass to where you think someone should be, you always play to where the player is or is moving to. The onus is always on the player with the ball to ensure it makes it to the player he's aiming for, thats the case for every pass, cross, throw in etc anywhere on the pitch. Give them the ball to their feet or into their direct path and trust them to do something with it. An aimless (regardless of how ideal it looks) cross into the area to me is just like a punt up the pitch, speculative and low percentage.

The only time i'd argue it makes sense to do that is a quick, drilled cutback across the 6 yard line, in that area you should expect players to be waiting

I'd slightly disagree, I think it falls to the striker to attack the ball or anticipate it.  Some of those crosses from Gibson and Stevenson in particular were a strikers dream.

I’m also in the bracket of feeling a bit meh, with regards to how prepared we are for the season ahead. Also not confident in terms of the title too - however that can easily change.

Think last year was exciting - it was all change and the new regime were adding in much needed quality. However there’s added expectation after last season’s escapades, which is only natural, and for me (we have improved defensively on paper, however the main signing is injured) there’s not much change from last seasons team at all.

We’re screaming out for pace and I’m sure a few have agreed with me on here on that - we’ve not addressed it. I think we’re becoming too predictable - Mullin, Connolly, Easton - most teams have them sussed and you know what they’re going to do in the wide berths.

Unless we get some good news in the coming days, then I’m not really confident about getting a result on Saturday - playing an Airdrie side who seem to have our number. 

31 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

I'd slightly disagree, I think it falls to the striker to attack the ball or anticipate it.  Some of those crosses from Gibson and Stevenson in particular were a strikers dream.

I think you're probably both right.  If there's nobody there waiting for it, even a perfect cross into the box is a wasted chance.  However, a frontline striker should be getting into position for exactly that kind of ball to come over.  I do wonder if it's simply about Hamilton needing to adjust his game a bit because we have players now in Stevenson and Gibson who are willing and able to put in those types of crosses. 

5 minutes ago, AllanJM said:

I think you're probably both right.  If there's nobody there waiting for it, even a perfect cross into the box is a wasted chance.  However, a frontline striker should be getting into position for exactly that kind of ball to come over.  I do wonder if it's simply about Hamilton needing to adjust his game a bit because we have players now in Stevenson and Gibson who are willing and able to put in those types of crosses. 

Its possible. For me, after they've played together for a while, the crossers will start to play the ball into places that Hamilton will be because they've built up an understanding. Failing that, its on Hamilton to say to them "put it near post, i've got the beating of that defender" for example. As always with football, communication is a key element 😅

I get the sense shared by others that things are a bit bland. To be fair to the club a lot of that is due to being prepped early; strips, signings etc have now bedded in for a while.

Ultimately the league cup was a bit meh and that's where the feeling of trepidation comes from.

The lack of any major crisis also gives little to get tore into. Generally output had been sponsors led with the usual snippets of training. Never going to ignite excitement.

Seems like a bit of a holding period that hopefully ignites Saturday. Sure it's all a bit predictable accross socials and facebook. However I'm glad that we're in this position and not chasing wild loan deals and signing giants with time running out. 

What worries me is how the new found/returning fans react if we don't push on. The board haven't been tested against the expectations of this season. 

Hamiltons height should be an advantage for crosses coming in, but he has this Cinderella way about his play.  He is always running away from the ball.  Watch his body language too...  It's like he doesn't want the ball.  Really, watch any highlights and keep an eye on his body language.  That boy seriously lacks confidence.

27 minutes ago, RaithRyan said:

I’m also in the bracket of feeling a bit meh, with regards to how prepared we are for the season ahead. Also not confident in terms of the title too - however that can easily change.

Think last year was exciting - it was all change and the new regime were adding in much needed quality. However there’s added expectation after last season’s escapades, which is only natural, and for me (we have improved defensively on paper, however the main signing is injured) there’s not much change from last seasons team at all.

We’re screaming out for pace and I’m sure a few have agreed with me on here on that - we’ve not addressed it. I think we’re becoming too predictable - Mullin, Connolly, Easton - most teams have them sussed and you know what they’re going to do in the wide berths.

Unless we get some good news in the coming days, then I’m not really confident about getting a result on Saturday - playing an Airdrie side who seem to have our number. 

Pace, I've been harping on about pace and physicality for weeks now. Pace is something we haven't addressed. Even IM mentioned it last season and nothing changed. Physicality, we have brought in Fordyce and Hanlon, but not one of our CHs are huge and our CM are all very similar.