The New Raith Rovers Thread

7 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Aye, absolutely. Every season there's players where you wonder why they've not signed deals and they'll inevitably crop up later in the autumn at clubs. Daniel O'Reilly was the perfect example last season. 

This is the best opportunity to get out this league since the early 2010s. I don't think we shouldn't be giving the head job to a man who hasn't had a head job in the SPFL in 10 years and got the punt from Berwick and Cowdenbeath. 

your probably correct but we need suggestions that we can sensibly discuss. i would have liked to see peter leven get the job but it appears thats a no go

Just because an email come in from the club about their media output and there's nothing else going on till we appoint somebody.  But since the "Happy Zac Rudden Day" email, does anybody else now when they get an email from the club immediately scroll down to the very bottom just incase there's a hidden message about a signing or whatever before scrolling back up to actually read the email?

I'm pretty sure they've only done it once, but I still check it on every single email from them now ever since.

TBH I've almost stopped reading club stuff as they mostly seem to be " Please sponsor a game" emails.

It's tough for them though as we've seen a new sweetie sponsor, club shorts sponsor and something else non football has just arrived. Marketing can't sleep but it isn't great timing when we need to know whether to reach for the pitch forks. 

7 minutes ago, The Tiel Burn said:

TBH I've almost stopped reading club stuff as they mostly seem to be " Please sponsor a game" emails.

It's tough for them though as we've seen a new sweetie sponsor, club shorts sponsor and something else non football has just arrived. Marketing can't sleep but it isn't great timing when we need to know whether to reach for the pitch forks. 

I've had a good laugh at this because it's absolutely true. The escalation from "I'm quite eager to see who we appoint" to the "the whole things f**ked" when we appointed Gary Locke must've been a great watch from the outside. The horror of it being your team and seeing it unfold was brutal. 

4 minutes ago, Scottydog said:

So here's a new one,  Barrow and Mckenzie will jump ship to Eastend.

Discuss🤔

Go on then I'm game. 

It makes little sense from a business point of view to try and offload a club that is on the up  which you have invested in. Only to chase a bin fire 12 miles down the road that are potentially riddled with debt. 

8 minutes ago, Scottydog said:

Discuss🤔

Well the Pars German investors are looking for someone so buy out their shares. McKenzie isn’t the man with the money at our club, Colin Smart is so I can’t really see that happening.

7 minutes ago, Scottydog said:

Discuss🤔

Complete nonsense of course but I'm willing to go along with it for the sake of talking about anything else.

They have unfinished business with Rovers.  They've made no secret of the fact that they want to take this club back to the top league in Scotland and will feel they're on track to do that within the initial timescale they set for themselves.

They could of course go along the road to try for the same but I definitely feel they're really enthusiastic about what they're doing with Rovers and will want to see it through.

1 hour ago, Varna Rover said:

heres a suggestion. colin cameron would jump at the rover managerial job. why not appoint him and leave mickey as coach. i believe many players would like to work under those 2.

Have I got this right?

You're suggesting appointing Colin Cameron as manager and Colin Cameron as coach?

I've heard of total football, but.....

heres a suggestion. colin cameron would jump at the rover managerial job. why not appoint him and leave mickey as coach. i believe many players would like to work under those 2.

Superhans, is that you?

27 minutes ago, Scottydog said:

Discuss🤔

I think we may have made a mistake offing Murray and then boxing ourselves in by suggesting we had a preferred candidate and it should be days not weeks until we appoint him.

However I don't think that just because some of the board have been at Kelty, we should worry about them jumping ship.

They had reached a ceiling at Kelty. They got them out the juniors and up to league one, improved the infrastructure and ground, set up youth teams and had the bar and hospitality busy every week.

Ultimately they were still getting under 700 at run of the mill league games and the final Dunfermline Falkirk game in season 22/23 got 9500 folk attending. At that point you would realise you need huge cash to bankroll a small team like Kelty to compete.

I don't see the current board throwing in the towel without giving promotion a really good and sustained go.

In all seriousness, there's no need for any interim solution other than the one we already have in place.  We have time to do the due diligence and get the right man in.  

As many have already pointed out, the Championship this season is ridiculously tight and anyone can beat anyone else (well Dunfermline are pish but it's pretty much the case for the other 9).

This means that any team that wins 3 or 4 games in a row will make massive moves in the table because it probably won't happen too much.  

If Rovers have a "meh" first quarter of the season, it wouldn't be impossible for us to get right back into the title hunt by putting a reasonable run together.  We've been pretty pish so far and are only a win behind.

In other words no need to settle for a dud just to get someone in the door quickly.  The new board have done brilliant things with the club since coming in and there's no reason to think that won't continue.

I also wanted to come back to the sacking of Murray in the first place.  Like most people I was shocked initially, but like many I've now come to agree with the decision.  I've tried to explain that both on here and on twitter but haven't necessarily been able to articulate my point. If you listen to last week's episode of the Terrace Lower League Podcast (recorded Thursday 8/8), @McGuigan1978 explains it perfectly.  Some interesting commentary on the state of this thread on this week's episode too!!!!!

I read this post 3 or 4 times and thought I was having some kind of stroke.

There is a remarkable level of bedwetting going on here.

17 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Agree it's not really an issue, you were never going to have a manager in for the Partick game (and even if you did they wouldn't have had time to make any impact) and you'll have one by the next league game. It's not uncommon for mid-season sackings to result in caretakers being in charge for a few games if it hits a busy part of the season with midweek games, whereas Raith will only have been without a manager for one game. Plus, for all their flaws, Cameron and Potter are experienced former managers, it's not like you're asking the Under 18s coach to step up and manage at a level he knows nothing about.

I'd say the frustration is mainly a result of Barrowman going in a bit heavy with his comments. He understandably wanted to give the impression that everything was in hand, but he basically gave the impression that they had options lined up ready to come in pretty much straight away. The fact they haven't means fans will obviously assume (rightly or wrongly) they've been turned down by preferred candidates and are now going down the list. Of course if Barrowman had said 'we're going to take our time and invite applications' he'd probably have got criticism for sacking Murray without a plan, so either way he probably couldn't win. If there's no manager by the middle of next week I could understand the worry, I don't see that being the case though.

I agree with everything except the bit about a manager will be in by the next League match, not sure about that. I suspect Barrowman wandered a bit off script and the BoD is taking the time they need rather than trying to hew to his exposition.

17 hours ago, dysartrovers said:

How dare you come on to a rovers forum and talk sense 🖕

A proven problem.

17 hours ago, CALDERON said:

At the end of the day, people wanted transparency - and they got it (well, as much as your likely to get).  You can see why it's not always the best thing, as now people are hanging on every single word Barrowman said.

It is frustrating not to have a manager in post, but there's any number of reasons why that may be.  

The only factor that will determine if this was the right call will be the quality and performance of the replacement.  

This is absolutely hitting the nail on the head. Transparency is good in the Public realm, not so much in the Business one.

2 hours ago, stevoraith said:

Or…. And hear me out on this…. it just takes time to agree a time for an interview and give the candidate time to prepare, then even if that first candidate is deemed suitable (and he wants to join us) it takes time to agree personal compensation with him, and since we know he’s in a job elsewhere it takes more time to agree compensation with the club he’s leaving etc. 

I think the folk who expected us to announce a new manager within a matter of days were being extremely naive. 

Just because nothing is announced yet doesn’t necessarily mean that we don’t have a clue who we want, or our first 3 choices have turned us down. 
Anything that involves legal negotiation takes time. 

Exactly, anyone who thinks a manager can be interviewed, selected, potentially a release negotiated and then signed in less than 3-4 weeks is deluded.

2 hours ago, Arthur Reid McDermott said:

C'Mon Broken Algorithms.  What player in his right mind is gonna sign for us when he doesn't know who his Manager is going to be.  We are also seen as a bit of a strange bunch right now.  The perception, in pretty much the whole of Scottish Football right now (rightly or wrongly) is that we have sacked a Manager who achieved second place by a country mile in the league last season, and  got us to within 120 minutes of promotion, and we have sacked him after only one league game this season?  Is this really the sort of outfit you would want to play for and be employed by?  I think we could struggle to attract good players to our club under this perception/misperception!

We sacked a manager whose club has been near sleepwalking since mid-December. Players know, much better than any of us, that this is a brutal, selfish game/career. In a game like Scottish football, where contracts tend toward one year deals, the manager isn’t as big a factor as you might think. I doubt there’s a player out there that isn’t convinced THEY can make any manager see their potential, and who believes that if it doesn’t work this year, next year there will be another group of clubs eager to give him a place to showcase his talents and earn a bigger contract. Football players don’t think like fans, they believe in themselves (often to a delusional extent…OK, well, maybe they are like fitba fans on P&B) and don’t think a manager makes a difference, outwith formation decisions.

your probably correct but we need suggestions that we can sensibly discuss.

Actually, no we don’t. Fans aren’t entitled to banter material, fans are not granted some crystal ball of insights. Among this highly involved subset of fans, we like to believe the teams owe us something, but they don’t. As a business matter, it would be insane for them to be as transparent as you suggest. And, to be fair, the lack of data and rumours actually plays well for our teams…the fans have things to debate and discuss (all the better to appear ITK), the press speculates (mainly to sell coverage), etc.

Positive news, you can see Hanlon taking part in the training clips they've posted on Twitter, and can spot Broonie in the background doing laps of the pitch it looks like.  Can't spot Vaughan though, but then I know he's said before that he isn't in all the days the rest of the guys are now.

Actually, I think Vaughan is in one of those clips but the resolution on Twitter clips is piss poor.

Edited by SanStarko

1 hour ago, Rover1990 said:

Is this a legitimate rumour or a thought you have?

Neither, I was just sick of the same subject.

1 hour ago, AllanJM said:

Complete nonsense of course but I'm willing to go along with it for the sake of talking about anything else.

They have unfinished business with Rovers.  They've made no secret of the fact that they want to take this club back to the top league in Scotland and will feel they're on track to do that within the initial timescale they set for themselves.

They could of course go along the road to try for the same but I definitely feel they're really enthusiastic about what they're doing with Rovers and will want to see it through.

Complete nonsense absolutely, a change of subject matter was needed.

4 minutes ago, Rael Rover said:

Things must be bad at East End if the need a barrow from us

You're not wrong.

Purves plant hire will need to hire out bulldozers and dump trucks to clear the amount of shite along by.