The New Raith Rovers Thread

Yeah that is a bit grim and if I was a young player and Rovers came in for me it would be a big factor. 

That said we've gone out this summer and signed 3 teenagers so hopefully that's something that changes. Granted we've already loaned Hannah and I think Nicholson will also get a loan at some point. Gibson for me is an asset to first team squad and will play, Montagu is not as far along but still looks to have something about him. 

15 minutes ago, Gregor147 said:

IMG_3136.png

Interesting, but if you look at the bottom five teams. We of course finished second in the Championship, with Celtic and Rangers the top 2, with Killie and St. Mirren finishing 4th and 5th respectively. Compare that to even the top 5, and 4 of them are from the Championship. Queens Park and the Pars being a bit shit but the other 3 having reasonably successful seasons. 

In conclusion, it’s all just a lot of pish. 🤣

3 minutes ago, Wardy said:

Interesting, but if you look at the bottom five teams. We of course finished second in the Championship, with Celtic and Rangers the top 2, with Killie and St. Mirren finishing 4th and 5th respectively. Compare that to even the top 5, and 4 of them are from the Championship. Queens Park and the Pars being a bit shit but the other 3 having reasonably successful seasons. 

In conclusion, it’s all just a lot of pish. 🤣

IMG_1570.thumb.webp.11df03e61f12493b94e4563e60c7f461.webp

After seeing the report on the lack of Scottish young players being brought through in the Scottish leagues, how many under 21s were Scottish within this table for teams who played young players.

Really interested to see how this plays out. Although it's an attractive job in some regards, you can also see why some might be unsure about it. In the eyes of the wider football public the new manager will have had basically a full season to achieve something, however he won't have had any of the benefits that all the others did like the ability to build their own squad and have a full pre-season/League Cup campaign to prepare. A defeat on Saturday (which looks relatively likely) and they are already 9 points off the top spot, and given they finished 2nd last year the only way they'll be seen to have made a significant improvement (from the outside definitely) is to win the league/promotion.

At least when managers come in half way through the season they basically have a free pass until the end of the season unless it's diabolocally bad, however that won't be the case here despite it not being his team. Plus it sounds like the manager only has a partial role in transfers anyway which may not be something managers at this level are happy with. Raith may well end up with the guy they want but I think they'd have had a better chance of getting their preferred candidate if they'd done this in the summer.

38 minutes ago, Gregor147 said:

IMG_3136.png

Never liked that about Murray in regards to not giving our younger players a fair crack regardless of how poor we were  at times.. he would rather have swapped 3 players out of position than play a youngster like Corr, Arnott, Hannah and Masson, even though they never really let us down when they did play.

At least McGlynn, for all his faults, gave youth a chance in regards to players like Bowie, Tait, Hendry, Gullan, Ross , etc. 

3 hours ago, Heid_The_Baw said:

That'll be f**king right.  I'd rather have Yogi than him.
In fact I'd probably go as far as to say I'd rather trade in my near 40 years of following the Rovers to go to East End than have that p***k back.
(f**k the Pars obviously!)

Caught a whopper there @Been going too long

1 hour ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

I'm surprised it was as much as that... 

Although I think we'll be a bit higher this season with Gibson in the squad. 

When you think that last season, the players we had under 21 were Hannah, Masson, Corr, Arnott, Mitchell, Ross and McGill (the last two became 22 half way through the season, but their minutes are counted until then) its pretty tragic reading. This season we've got Montagu, Nicholson and Gibson in the whole squad that are under 21. I've excluded Hannah as he's at Montrose.

For me all clubs need that core of young players to boost the squad and ideally make the club a profit in the longer term, we've gone to the opposite end and absolutely in for the short term and see where it takes us, like an Italian squad from the 90s but with significantly less talent

1 minute ago, Pride of Fife said:

Liam Fox led his Hearts II side to a hard fought 6-1 loss at Gretna 2008 tonight

Unsurprising. The squad morale must be rock bottom knowing that their beloved coach is about to leave them...