Things you want to share with P&B

Ad Lib

10 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Rolf Harris did an information film for kids in the 1980s on how to avoid getting molested. 

Was it "Keep well away from me*"?

* 'Me' as in Rolf Harris himself before any smart-arse replies.

Been a while since I've paid any attention to Major League Soccer, but I just noticed that Los Angeles FC are going to be playing Minnesota United tomorrow.

When did the MLS get sensible with the team names? Have the days passed when the Kentucky Spangly Sparkles would face off against the Wisconsin Wal*marts?

Been a while since I've paid any attention to Major League Soccer, but I just noticed that Los Angeles FC are going to be playing Minnesota United tomorrow.
When did the MLS get sensible with the team names? Have the days passed when the Kentucky Spangly Sparkles would face off against the Wisconsin Wal*marts?

Theres been a trend of teams trying to 'Euro-fy' themselves either with name or badge changes going back to Dallas Burn becoming FC Dallas back in '04. It's a move I guess to make the league seem more legit/serious to outside audiences & get so called Euro snobs in the US/Canada on board. Personally think it's a bit naff imo & I'd rather they embrace the quirks & uniqueness.

7 minutes ago, GNU_Linux said:

Theres been a trend of teams trying to 'Euro-fy' themselves either with name or badge changes going back to Dallas Burn becoming FC Dallas back in '04. It's a move I guess to make the league seem more legit/serious to outside audiences & get so called Euro snobs in the US/Canada on board. Personally think it's a bit naff imo & I'd rather they embrace the quirks & uniqueness.

Aye, they might as well lean into the stereotype of American sports.

Mind when they had an actual star-spangled kit at the American World Cup? Think they took the hump at everyone laughing at it, and it's been tediously boring England-esque strips ever since.

3 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Every new MLS team now is called "FC" , "City" or "United". Boring as f**k. The silly American names like Wilmington Rattlevipers and Upper Chattanooga Beach Hogz were much more fun.

I had a good laugh at them back in the Nineties like everyone else, but there's no need for everybody's leagues and clubs to follow the same script. Might as well play up what makes you unique.

The Stirling Meerkats would still have been fucking hilarious, though, and I'm heart sorry that never happened.

9 hours ago, GNU_Linux said:

9 hours ago, BFTD said:

Aye, they might as well lean into the stereotype of American sports.

Mind when they had an actual star-spangled kit at the American World Cup? Think they took the hump at everyone laughing at it, and it's been tediously boring England-esque strips ever since.

9 hours ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Every new MLS team now is called "FC" , "City" or "United". Boring as f**k. The silly American names like Wilmington Rattlevipers and Upper Chattanooga Beach Hogz were much more fun.

If you want a fill of daft names, follow @usasoccerguy on Twitter. You'll get what you want, with a British twist.  For instance, Celtic lost to Midgetland last night.

It's also funny when some numbnuts thinks it's a serious account, and calls him out on his 'mistakes'.

Scottish bike racer Christina Mackenzie is trying to break the women's record time for Land's End - John O'Groats. 52 hours, 45 minutes, 11 seconds.

She's at Crawford right now, just south of Abington. You can trace here route and see her location here. https://live.opentracking.co.uk/lejogcm21/?v=qpLIYwuUIe

Give her a wave if she passes.

https://twitter.com/Lejogmack

I hadn't dressed for an occasion for ages, so thought I'd wear trackie trousers in public (for the first time in a long, long time this afternoon) seeing as I was going to Lidl.   Making an effort and that.

Swung past a corner shop on the way back as I forgot to get something straightforward for dinner tonight, bought a frozen fish pie and then got asked "do you want a fork with that?".  All I can take from that is that she thought I was the sort of degenerate that either doesn't own my own cutlery, or eats non-microwavable frozen fish pies out in the street. 

I'll be back to respectable attire tomorrow.

36 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

I hadn't dressed for an occasion for ages, so thought I'd wear trackie trousers in public (for the first time in a long, long time this afternoon) seeing as I was going to Lidl.   Making an effort and that.

Swung past a corner shop on the way back as I forgot to get something straightforward for dinner tonight, bought a frozen fish pie and then got asked "do you want a fork with that?".  All I can take from that is that she thought I was the sort of degenerate that either doesn't own my own cutlery, or eats non-microwavable frozen fish pies out in the street. 

I'll be back to respectable attire tomorrow.

Maybe she was a scouser being flirtatious.

Just zapped a wasps' nest outside my daughter's bedroom window. 

I'm in turmoil, quite enjoyed the zapping. But the poor wee fuckers were writhing about in agony on the ground. I've made them homeless and killed some of them. Not good. 

Mea culpa etc...