Unpopular opinions.

WASPI women should just work on until the same age as the male population, whatever that is, rather than complain they don't see till get the pension 6 years earlier than men. I'm all for equality in all things, even positive discrimination where that would correct unjustness, but it seems that some people want inequality back when it suits.

Edited by Hampden Diehard

5 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

The reason Friends is so loved over here is that BBC hid Seinfeld so nobody watched it, thus making Friends seem revolutionary.

That was a very popular opinion with TV critics in the Nineties. It doesn't allow for the fact that Seinfeld was shite.

Also, did BBC2 not get more viewers than Channel 4 back then?

That was a very popular opinion with TV critics in the Nineties. It doesn't allow for the fact that Seinfeld was shite.
Also, did BBC2 not get more viewers than Channel 4 back then?
From memory I think Seinfeld was shown at almost midnight on BBC 2.

On 16/10/2020 at 16:26, Ludo*1 said:

I think it's becoming more and more popular to hate on Friends. It was good in its time. It's rapidly becoming more and more dated. It certainly doesn't deserve the acclaim it received, but as far as easy watching American television goes? It'd be mid-tier for me - Nowhere near the best, but absolutely nowhere near some of the drivel that's produced. Certainly better than comparative pish like Big Bang, Will & Grace, Brooklyn Nine-Nine, Two and a Half Men, The Goldbergs & King of Queens to name but a few.

For some reason it always rattled my cage, left me seething etc. Couldn’t stand it but lived with three flatmates (another guy and two girls, just for added irony) who loved it. Can’t give a valid reason for hating it.

1 hour ago, MixuFruit said:

Have you ever seen It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia?

I haven't but I've heard it is funny.

The people saying it is funny also like Friends and The Big Bang Theory so that has put me off watching it.

Have you seen Schitt's Creek?

I haven't but I've heard it is funny.

The people saying it is funny also like Friends and The Big Bang Theory so that has put me off watching it.

Have you seen Schitt's Creek?

I don't mind Friends and TBBT, they are easy viewing. Sunny in Philly is an entirely different ball game though. It's both hilarious and extremely well written. Friends and TBBT are lowest common denominator comedies with little thought behind most gags, I know that but sometimes a light chuckle is all I'm after.

I have never belly laughed at a Sitcom so hard as Sunny (though Trailer Park Boys has run it extremely close). If you want a clever Sitcom that's close to the bone without being genuinely offensive then Sunny is what you need to watch. The first season is only ok on first viewing but you really appreciate it when you go back and view it after going further in to the show.

I will add that the characters are extremely dislikeable and you want no good to come their way yet you can't help but watch them to see how their ignorance continues to stifle their every plan.

Edited to add. I recently started Schitt's Creek and am enjoying that. Again, it's cleverly written. It's not the best Canadian Sitcom though as that goes to TPB which I'd suggest you give a go too.

7 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

Technically inadmissable as it's Canadian.

Very surprised you're encountering folk who like Sunny and Big Bang Theory. They're at opposite ends of the spectrum imo.

Possibly my son's two favourite TV programmes, oddly enough.

It's all he knows Danny DeVito from  :lol: