Unpopular opinions.

8 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

If you have a word with the undertaker they can give you some options. They assume most people will go for peaceful. They could do abject horror or mild indignation. I think I might go for a Roger Moore eyebrow.

Life lesson: if you go for the novelty 'watched the video in The Ring (Japanese version)' option, make sure it's a closed casket funeral.

This is the definition of alcohol use disorder from the latest DSM:

A maladaptive pattern of substance use leading to clinically significant impairment or distress, as manifested by 2 or more of the following, occurring at any time in the same 12-month period:

Alcohol is often taken in larger amounts or over a longer period than was intended.

There is a persistent desire or unsuccessful efforts to cut down or control alcohol use.

A great deal of time is spent in activities necessary to obtain alcohol, use alcohol, or recover from its effects.

Craving, or a strong desire or urge to use alcohol.

Recurrent alcohol use resulting in a failure to fulfill major role obligations at work, school, or home.

Continued alcohol use despite having persistent or recurrent social or interpersonal problems caused or exacerbated by the effects of alcohol.

Important social, occupational, or recreational activities are given up or reduced because of alcohol use.

Recurrent alcohol use in situations in which it is physically hazardous.

Alcohol use is continued despite knowledge of having a persistent or recurrent physical or psychological problem that is likely to have been caused or exacerbated by alcohol.

Tolerance, as defined by either of the following:

A need for markedly increased amounts of alcohol to achieve intoxication or desired effect.

A markedly diminished effect with continued use of the same amount of alcohol.

Withdrawal, as manifested by either of the following:

The characteristic withdrawal syndrome for alcohol 

Alcohol (or a closely related substance, such as a benzodiazepine) is taken to relieve or avoid withdrawal symptoms.

This might be unpopular and it might not, but watching Celtic hit a rich vein of form, including Edouard in particular looking just like his old self, is absolutely fantastic viewing.

I mean I still hope St Johnstone nick a 3-2 here, but these players deciding that theres no further point in throwing Lhenny under the bus and instead working to ensure their summer moves must be causing bedlam in the head of TGFITW.

Up them.

Just now, throbber said:

Why is it just fat people who get this sort of treatment as if their issues are just as simple as eating less/getting more exercise though? Do you look at a smoker who is developing all sorts of health issues and just say “maybe if you stopped smoking you’d be alright”?

Because their issue is that simple. It is a straightforward input/output equation based on an awareness your body's underlying metabolism. If you work more and consume less then you solve the problem. 

I've no idea why you think that smokers have been given a free pass and I'm more than happy to point out their disgusting habit. 

Are fat people just an easy target?

I'd certainly fancy my chances against them in a paintball match. 

If you’re doing something voluntarily on a regular basis that is making your life worse and ruining your health you have an addiction. Also sugar, salt and high fatty foods are addictive substances and over a long enough time line can and will kill you.

Utter pish. Doing something voluntarily and having a psychochemical dependence on a product are two different things. Your claim is a complete contradiction in terms. 

There's no evidence to show that sugar and fat are addictive substances in the sense that alcohol or drugs are. Absolutely none. There is no medically diagnosable withdrawal state from not having a bowl of ice cream. 

But you can control addiction, that’s how people end up giving up smoking or doing a driathlon etc. What an absurd thing to say.
The term alcoholic in this day and age rather confuses me and I always want to know what someone’s benchmark for an alcoholic even is. Most people I know like to drink and a lot regularly drink to excess but I don’t know where the alcoholic part comes in to the equation and would like someone to tell me.

But for a lot of obese people it is as simple as moving more and eating less. That is the reality. In my opinion, it is easier for someone to eat less compared with someone stopping smoking.

I suppose my definition of an alcoholic is someone who cannot function for one day without alcohol.

2 hours ago, virginton said:

'Calories' do not confer any addictive properties whatsoever. This is just more pseudo-scientific nonsense and is quite frankly insulting to those who suffer from genuine addictions that their psychochemical attachment is being equated to somebody who can't steer clear of a buffet table or get off their arse and do some exercise.

try going cold turkey from food.  The withdrawal symptoms can be fatal.

Fatties definitely seem to be becoming the hate figures du jour. I guess the hundreds of thousands of new benefits claimants over the past year have realised it's a bit of a red neck to keep slagging off the lazy paupers for scrounging off the state. For now.

1 hour ago, ConcernedReferee said:

Vinegar is the best chip topping, salt is good too and you can put on any sauce you like (or none at all) but if there's no vinegar I don't even want to know 

Depends on the type of chip and what you're having them with. Proper chip shop chips need salt and vinegar.

McDonald's/Burger King chips need only salt and possibly some ketchup.

Oven chips taste far better with mayonnaise than vinegar.

However, if you're putting them on a roll, you need plenty of butter, salt, vinegar and brown sauce.

I could give you the medical definition of alcoholism, seen/heard it often enough in treatment.
I can confirm, from second hand experience, withdrawal can be fatal.
I can confirm from first hand experience how tolerance increases and the medical/chemical reasons why.

IMHO any addiction is a whooring-c**t of a thing and anyone seriously trying to get help from any addiction deserves support and credit.

6 hours ago, Raidernation said:

I could give you the medical definition of alcoholism, seen/heard it often enough in treatment.
I can confirm, from second hand experience, withdrawal can be fatal.
I can confirm from first hand experience how tolerance increases and the medical/chemical reasons why.

IMHO any addiction is a whooring-c**t of a thing and anyone seriously trying to get help from any addiction deserves support and credit.

There’s definitely more to addiction than a simple physical reliance on a drug. A gambling addiction is a pretty real and destructive thing, for example. Of the main addictions in my life, cigarettes and booze were not too hard to ditch. Maybe because you can shut them out totally. Food, for example, requires moderation, and that’s a different skill to simply shutting something out of your life. 

ETA.. IIRC, tobacco is out of your system within about 18 hours. Yet look how hard it can be for people to stop smoking. 

Edited by Shandön Par

6 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

If you have a word with the undertaker they can give you some options. They assume most people will go for peaceful. They could do abject horror or mild indignation. I think I might go for a Roger Moore eyebrow.

"Do want the departed to look peaceful, content or neutral, Madam?"

"He was a Falkirk fan.."

"Full seethe then.."