Unpopular opinions.

The Gaelic language is as good as extinct for all intents and purposes and is now nothing more than a hobby/ interest. Out of the total number of speakers & people with varying abilities in it, less than 20% of those actually use it for their regular communications. There's no point in throwing any more money at it

1 hour ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

The Gaelic language is as good as extinct for all intents and purposes and is now nothing more than a hobby/ interest. Out of the total number of speakers & people with varying abilities in it, less than 20% of those actually use it for their regular communications. There's no point in throwing any more money at it

Welsh seems to be fairly widely used in the North of Wales and is even quite trendy. But they got the Welsh Language Act that Gaelic never got. 

9 hours ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

Two words.

Sorley MacLean

11 hours ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

Some folk seem really passionate about it but I find it hard to have any great interest.

There are so many important things about promoting Scottish Independence and the long term welfare and interests of the Scottish people and the issue of Gaelic, for me, is not one of them.

34 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Some folk seem really passionate about it but I find it hard to have any great interest.

There are so many important things about promoting Scottish Independence and the long term welfare and interests of the Scottish people and the issue of Gaelic, for me, is not one of them.

Whats it go to do with independence?

On 02/10/2024 at 23:47, invergowrie arab said:

Whats it go to do with independence?

Nothing directly. 

However, it’s possibly(?) to say those who are most passionate about it are independence supporters. I’d hazard a guess that the passionate interest in it is driven by a fear that traditional Scottish culture is being eradicated and the country is becoming more and more ‘British’, rather than a genuine concern that native Gaelic speakers are disadvantaged. 

Thats likely a terribly simplistic take on it but that’s always been my perception. 

On 02/10/2024 at 13:22, tamthebam said:

Welsh seems to be fairly widely used in the North of Wales and is even quite trendy. But they got the Welsh Language Act that Gaelic never got. 

I don't think it's allowed anymore, but apparently it used to be common for job adverts to be printed in Welsh only as a GIRUY to their cousins across the border.

My old man likes to moan about Gaelic being added to road signs, but I just say that it's for the tourists, as that's one of his go-to excuses for still having a hereditary monarchy.

Train guards should check tickets on one length of the train walk, then get the refreshment trolley out for the return walk.

They can open the doors in the event of stopping at a station in between walks.

I am now off to join the Conservative and Unionist party.

1 hour ago, Cosmic Joe said:

Train guards should check tickets on one length of the train walk, then get the refreshment trolley out for the return walk.

They can open the doors in the event of stopping at a station in between walks.

I am now off to join the Conservative and Unionist party.

But, sometimes the trolley girl is attractive, and your plan removes that possibility. It’s a no from me. 

On 02/10/2024 at 23:10, Granny Danger said:

11 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

Nothing directly. 

However, it’s possibly(?) to say those who are most passionate about it are independence supporters. I’d hazard a guess that the passionate interest in it is driven by a fear that traditional Scottish culture is being eradicated and the country is becoming more and more ‘British’, rather than a genuine concern that native Gaelic speakers are disadvantaged. 

Thats likely a terribly simplistic take on it but that’s always been my perception. 

The Gaelic Language (Scotland) Act 2005 was created by Labour and the Lib Dems, the first speech made in Gaelic in the Scottish Parliament was by a Labour MSP and the Tories established BBC Alba. Gaels generally feel that the SNP haven't done nearly enough on Gaelic.

Also worth saying the SNP have done next to nothing in support of what could be called Scottish culture. They've given a fair amount of support to the cultural and creative industries but it's the modern, international stuff, not what could be described as nativist.

The amount of time the media spend on an issue is absolutely no reflection of how much time and money parliaments, government or councils spend on it. Gaelic is an very peripheral issue despite the acres of coverage wasted on moaning about it.

On 02/10/2024 at 11:34, effeffsee_the2nd said:

How much money is thrown at it?

3 minutes ago, GordonS said:

How much money is thrown at it?

Somewhat on topic, did they bother doing a Donnie Murdo for the Danger Mouse reboot?

Off topic, but the guy did the Count Duckula voice for it needs to be in the Magnificent Names thread 

IMG_4608.png