The Falkirk FC Thread

Why couldn't they play this weekend (unless you are targetting someone who played in an earlier round for someone else)?

Is it not 10 days registration before the SC? It certainly used to be something like that

37 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

Is it not 10 days registration before the SC? It certainly used to be something like that

No, as KDM says below. There used to be a 14 day before rule but that was done away with years ago.

27 minutes ago, King Dom's Moustache said:

Nah I think the only rule now is you can't sign someone after the first game and play them if the original tie goes to a replay.

To be precise, to be eligible to play in the Scottish Cup a player has to be signed on or before the official round date. So if for example the game was postponed on Saturday coming and not played for a fortnight, you couldn't play anyone who wasn't signed before Saturday anyway. Similarly if tv moves it to the Monday or something you couldn't sign somebody on Monday morning before the game and play them because the round date is Saturday. But you can sign someone up to 12 noon on Saturday and still be eligible to play on Saturday as long as they are not cup tied.

I'm yet to get an answer to my conceptual question of the scenario where like we had a couple of years ago with the QoS v Falkirk Q-F, the game is brought forward from the official round date for tv to the Friday night. I think technically under the rules you could in theory sign someone on the Saturday after the game which would be the official round date and be eligible for any potential replay. I think in practice they wouldn't allow it because it would be outwith the intention of the rules but it's probably legally within the actual wording.

To be precise, to be eligible to play in the Scottish Cup a player has to be signed on or before the official round date. So if for example the game was postponed on Saturday coming and not played for a fortnight, you couldn't play anyone who wasn't signed before Saturday anyway. Similarly if tv moves it to the Monday or something you couldn't sign somebody on Monday morning before the game and play them because the round date is Saturday. But you can sign someone up to 12 noon on Saturday and still be eligible to play on Saturday as long as they are not cup tied.
I'm yet to get an answer to my conceptual question of the scenario where like we had a couple of years ago with the QoS v Falkirk Q-F, the game is brought forward from the official round date for tv to the Friday night. I think technically under the rules you could in theory sign someone on the Saturday after the game which would be the official round date and be eligible for any potential replay. I think in practice they wouldn't allow it because it would be outwith the intention of the rules but it's probably legally within the actual wording.

We will still save a weeks wage

The board are a total joke and I'm offended they call themselves suppporters.

At best they're conservative and risk averse businessmen with zero ambition. At worst...well best I don't actually say it but we can all fill in our own expletives.

Edited by BountyBairn

If no signings in Jan then this would be my team to start the next game :-

Rogers
Kidd
Muirhead
Grant
Gallagher
Hippo
Sibbald
Taiwo
Leahy
Mchugh
O'Hara

Lost faith in Houston in all honesty. Holt was doing equally well with us and that was his first ever job as a number 1 and he had to deal daily with a bampot in Roberts. Houston isn't doing any better in the league and he is supposed to be a veteran at the management game!!

11 hours ago, RichieBairn said:

Lost faith in Houston in all honesty. Holt was doing equally well with us and that was his first ever job as a number 1 and he had to deal daily with a bampot in Roberts. Houston isn't doing any better in the league and he is supposed to be a veteran at the management game!!

Say what you like about the current performance of the team, to suggest that Holt did as good - or anywhere near approaching as good - a job at Houston has over the last few years is an absolutely mad shout. Just not true.

Say what you like about the current performance of the team, to suggest that Holt did as good - or anywhere near approaching as good - a job at Houston has over the last few years is an absolutely mad shout. Just not true.

Holt had a better opportunity as the teams in the league were lower profile and promotion should have been easier but in reality I'm pretty sure if we'd gained promotion at that time we would surely been relegated the following season as financially we were not equipped to stay in the top league, also I don't think the BOD's would have endorsed the spending levels required.
Having said all this, my opinion is that Holt did not do as bad as many on here would have you believe.

Holt had a better opportunity as the teams in the league were lower profile and promotion should have been easier but in reality I'm pretty sure if we'd gained promotion at that time we would surely been relegated the following season as financially we were not equipped to stay in the top league, also I don't think the BOD's would have endorsed the spending levels required.
Having said all this, my opinion is that Holt did not do as bad as many on here would have you believe.

Holt was an abomination. Route one stuff that got worse when we signed the big lad from Carlisle.

To be offered money in January and to sign an on loan LB from Celtic when we had the best one in the league has to be the most bizzare decision of many a Falkirk manager.

He should have been sacked for failing to get us up.

Hamilton and Dundee I may add are still in the top league after going up.

Losing my patience this season with Houston. Ex Scotland number 2, won the cup with United and scout for Celtic so should be able to spot a player and his best position!! Currently plays Muirhead out of position, he looks like a fish out of water at RB. Continues to have faith in McCracken whose legs have gone. Grant was excellent on Saturday but was playing both CB positions!! Doesn't use Leahy further up the field sitting in front of Gallagher, Taiwo is never a right winger in a million years, continues with Kerr who is finished and keeps faith with Baird. Baird is so low in confidence in front of goal it's laughable, you could see that on Saturday. As for Shepherd, he should be no where near the squad. He isn't strong enough for a career in the ballet. The fans were screaming at the ref for a free kick down by the touchline, the truth was Shepherd was just brushed off the ball, shoulder to shoulder. Three seasons ago was showing potential, it's disappeared!!

We need a winger who can beat a man and get to the byline. On Saturday, it was Muirhead to Craigen, back to Muirhead and cross. This gives their defence all the time in the world to set up instead of any surprise by a winger running at pace and hitting the byline! Felt sorry for Sibbald, at least he was trying something. Perhaps Hippo as a striker could be tried. Our lack of depth in the squad in really telling.

We've got loads of depth in many areas it's just bodies though . No quality. We'd be better off with the youngsters as backups on small wages rather than paying out cash on 2 year deals for the likes of kidd and craigen to sit on the bench. Although Holt wasn't great his signings I would say were a bit better than houstons. Mind you they couldn't be any worse.