The Falkirk FC Thread

Let’s be honest Dunfermline are a stronger team than us and deserve to be where they are.

That fact doesn’t make us a bad team we are by far the best of the rest and should go into the playoffs with confidence.

This patter about always bottling the big games is lazy shite, we battered Airdrie away in a must win game just last week!

We are still a work in progress but any reasonable assessment would conclude that we are vastly better than we have been for several years.

Read earlier that someone wasn’t bothered about getting to the Cup Semi, unbelievably stupid comment considering the money to be made from winning Mondays game would go a long way to easing our financial worries.

We are all scunnered this morning after failing to lay a glove on them last night but can the doom merchants give it a fucking rest, promotion and a lucrative Semi are in our own hands.

2 minutes ago, Numbers_One_To_Eleven said:

It would be quite satisfying to do what Dunfermline did last night and play very cagey 1st half, suck the opponent in and then pounce in the second half. Throughout all my time of being a fan, we are usually the ones who try and make the running and then, quite often, get caught out in the end.

That's been our season.  There's been loads of games where we've looked 2nd best going in at half-time, only to come out a completely different side in the last 45.  Whether it's fitness and/or game plan, we seem to get stronger as the game goes on.

1 minute ago, Reggie Perrin said:

Let’s be honest Dunfermline are a stronger team than us and deserve to be where they are.

That fact doesn’t make us a bad team we are by far the best of the rest and should go into the playoffs with confidence.

This patter about always bottling the big games is lazy shite, we battered Airdrie away in a must win game just last week!

We are still a work in progress but any reasonable assessment would conclude that we are vastly better than we have been for several years.

Read earlier that someone wasn’t bothered about getting to the Cup Semi, unbelievably stupid comment considering the money to be made from winning Mondays game would go a long way to easing our financial worries.

We are all scunnered this morning after failing to lay a glove on them last night but can the doom merchants give it a fucking rest, promotion and a lucrative Semi are in our own hands.

Your point about the cup semi is spot on. For both us and Ayr the chance to get to the semi-final at Hampden vs an arse cheek with gate + TV money would be a financial godsend.

While I appreciate people saying that our season isn’t over and we simply move on - of course, this is absolutely true, we’ve still got a lot to play for and much we can possibly achieve - I don’t think you can just write it off that easily either. That second half performance was completely unacceptable, and for all the improvements we’ve made, was symptomatic of Falkirk in big games where the fans turn up. Playing against a ‘better team’ isn’t an excuse for lack of passion. The second half was so passive, and many players looked like they gave up at 1-0. For a top of the table, derby game in front of nearly 10,000 folk, it’s not simply a case of ‘oh well, we move on’. We almost accepted it when it was Hartley’s or Rennie’s bunch of serial losers as that was what was expected of them, but not this team which has built up some credit in the bank.  I’m a big fan of McGlynn and think he’s done a very, very good job considering where we were last year, but it doesn’t take away from the fact that that is two derby games in a row where he’s been outthought and the team have been outfought. 

12 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

They weren't able to stream due to connection issues so I assume they didn't bother commentating and just watched the match instead.

Instead we had the joys of watching the Pars TV stream and listening to the older sounding commentator get every second players name wrong. Also described Chris Hamilton at one point as 'using all his experience there' when he's 21 years of age.

Its his USP.

9 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:

Firmly disagree with this. That was a very rare win in a game that could be described as a six-pointer.

12 minutes ago, DA-go Par Adonis said:

That's been our season.  There's been loads of games where we've looked 2nd best going in at half-time, only to come out a completely different side in the last 45.  Whether it's fitness and/or game plan, we seem to get stronger as the game goes on.

I was thinking more about teams higher up the table rather than wearing down part-time teams in the second half.

Disappointed last night and deflated this morning.

As always with hindsight it's easy to point out flaws - We didn't turn Benedictus and Breen when we were getting joy on the flanks. Kennedy and Morrison had no-one to hit when they did get near the box.

I called them "Pot shot Pars" at half-time as that was what we'd limited them to in the 1st half albeit one of them almost paid off. Felt at times we opted to pass it rather than try and sting the palms of Mehmet once or twice. 

As posters have already said, it was almost a carbon-copy of the last game and we ended up with nothing.

C'est la vie.

27 minutes ago, Paranoid said:

Maybe the crowd spooked a few. Anyway, it's not over. Quarter of a season left. Draws can be killers.

Don’t be ridiculous, it’s finished. I think we could win every game till the end of the season, including against Dunfermline, and still wouldn’t win the league now. 

2 hours ago, latapythelegend said:

The set piece was a result of Donaldson backing off and letting their winger get a ridiculously easy attempt at goal.

And nothing about us giving it away in midfield and the lad running all over Max. Your digs at Donaldson are embarrassing 

2 hours ago, Disco Duck said:

There’s no escaping the fact that Donaldson was absolutely garbage last night.  It was the worst performance I’ve seen from him.  His distribution, which is normally a strength, was shite and he kept giving the ball away.  

Thats not a “bandwagon”.  He’s been our strongest CB all season.  Just not last night.

We all see things differently. I didn’t think he was that bad. All about opinions. 

McCann had his worst game of the season and the front three were poor. 

13 minutes ago, 18BAIRN76 said:

While I appreciate people saying that our season isn’t over and we simply move on - of course, this is absolutely true, we’ve still got a lot to play for and much we can possibly achieve - I don’t think you can just write it off that easily either. That second half performance was completely unacceptable, and for all the improvements we’ve made, was symptomatic of Falkirk in big games where the fans turn up. Playing against a ‘better team’ isn’t an excuse for lack of passion. The second half was so passive, and many players looked like they gave up at 1-0. For a top of the table, derby game in front of nearly 10,000 folk, it’s not simply a case of ‘oh well, we move on’. We almost accepted it when it was Hartley’s or Rennie’s bunch of serial losers as that was what was expected of them, but not this team which has built up some credit in the bank.  I’m a big fan of McGlynn and think he’s done a very, very good job considering where we were last year, but it doesn’t take away from the fact that that is two derby games in a row where he’s been outthought and the team have been outfought. 

Anyway we are where we are.

Dunfermline's league to lose and a collapse on the run-in is a possibility. Falkirk must put the result behind them and grind out win's to keep the pressure on. So the reaction in the next few league games will tell a lot about the team's mentality when the chips are down.

As for the cup game well Dundee showed earlier in the season the standard in the league above us. So let's have a blood and snotters cup tie and go for it.

5 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

We all see things differently. I didn’t think he was that bad. All about opinions. 

McCann had his worst game of the season and the front three were poor. 

McCann was awful last night. Worst player on the park by a mile. He picked the worst game possible to have a howler. 

The 2 wingers didn’t play well either and Oliver was totally isolated.

2 minutes ago, Tea and Busquets said:

Having watched three different highlights, the ball was not over the line. That swung momentum of the game and it was the wrong call.

It was.

1 hour ago, Balde Bairn said:

These players should appreciate playing in front of a crowd like that yesterday because they certainly wouldn’t be good enough for Falkirk in pretty much any other era in our history. 

Don’t see why that’s relevant - we are where we are and it’s the strongest team we’ve had since we’ve been in L1