The Falkirk FC Thread

52 minutes ago, Long Suffering Bairn said:

Disappointing BUT first bad result since November.  Compare that with previous seasons.  We're not there yet but McGlynn has improved us no end.  I've supported Falkirk for 55 years now.  If I was after glory hunting I wouldn't have.  Like I joke sometimes, supporting Falkirk has taught me valuable life lessons, how to cope with pain and disappointment.   Pick ourselves up and go again next game.  That's how it's been since 1876.

It's ok beating detritus with 400 fans like Airdriebank...as soon as the pressure is on we don't turn up...I've watched them for 5 years less than you...last time we had bottle we had cadette up front 

Guest Wind Chime Jimmy
1 hour ago, Duncan Freemason said:

……and another one. f**k me, some lonely tossers visiting tonight.

Your heids awe mince min 🤣🤣

Guest Wind Chime Jimmy
1 hour ago, Duncan Freemason said:

f**k me, another needy twat wanting 15 seconds of fame on the Falkirk thread.

Oh come on now, like you wouldn't be the same your team had won, but they didn't, did they 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Monday's match now becomes even more crucial, if we are to remain in this league for yet another season which is quite likely then McGlynn will need further significant funds for next season to build on what he's got - and maybe finally go up as champions.  

8 hours ago, latapythelegend said:

Bottled it when it matters. 

Donaldson for the first and Morrison for the 2nd. Fucking amatuer stuff.

Never even looked like troubling them. 

The cup is now the focus until May.

Your back on the Donaldson bandwagon I see. It was Henderson who was picking up Breen. 

7 hours ago, AGPar said:

The problem being that that bad result in November also happened to be an important game in front of a large crowd against our biggest rival. Unfortunately there is absolutely nothing coincidental about that. These are the type of the games that make and break title challenges. In three promotion seasons under Jefferies (2) and McCall we lost 1 out of 14 against a direct title rival. We simply do not win these games any more. It's perfectly legitimate to be pleased with the progress and improvement made this season whilst simultaneously pissed off with our never-ending and all too predictable no shows in the games that really matter. I've lost count of how many times this happens, but basically every time.

Circumstances leading into this game could not have been any better really - good run of form, confidence high, genuine strength in depth and options available on the bench. Yet we never laid a glove on them. Again. That's concerning, especially in light of another high-pressure game on the horizon on Monday. We really could do with finding some bottle and quickly.

Pretty harsh TBH. We have been on a brilliant run and won 2/3 pressure games in that run. I for one am not getting too down on us.

Fairplay to them. They are going to win the league and deservedly so as defensively they are better than us primarily. Still lots to play for. 

Tough not to feel down after a game like that, but I dont feel the need to rant and rave or pick anyone out aside from chucking the second goal in. That was a really cut and dried case of the better team winning the game. Dunfermlines points total indicates that they are the best in the league, but we doubted that due to their performances v us. We finally seen it in that second half lastnight, why they are the ones who will go up automatically. 

6 hours ago, Long Suffering Bairn said:

While we will have the occasional honour, have a great season every now and again (more likely again than now), win a league every 15-20 years, win a cup every 70 years or so, the harsh truth is that we are never going to be as good a team as any of us would like.  In the scheme of things we are a relatively small club with a relatively small stadium in an average town with extremely modest finances.  It has always been this way and it probably always will.  Yes, in an ideal world we should be in the lower reaches of the Premier league along side the likes of Motherwell, Dundee, Kilmarnock, etc.  We have been before, we probably will be again sometime.

In the meantime, there's no point feeling aggrieved and angry (not saying you are, but many of our fans are right now).  Life is too short for all that.  I blame my dad for lifting me over the turnstiles at Brockville decades ago.  Little did I know what I was letting myself in for all these years later.  COYB.

Without knowing you obviously, I’m going to guess this mindset wasn’t as strong going into the game last night. We’ve been on a very good run going into a massive six-pointer so confidence and motivation was high, to perform at a decent level and maybe pick up a result anyway.

23 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

Your back on the Donaldson bandwagon I see. It was Henderson who was picking up Breen. 

There’s no escaping the fact that Donaldson was absolutely garbage last night.  It was the worst performance I’ve seen from him.  His distribution, which is normally a strength, was shite and he kept giving the ball away.  

Thats not a “bandwagon”.  He’s been our strongest CB all season.  Just not last night.

48 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Tough not to feel down after a game like that, but I dont feel the need to rant and rave or pick anyone out aside from chucking the second goal in. That was a really cut and dried case of the better team winning the game. Dunfermlines points total indicates that they are the best in the league, but we doubted that due to their performances v us. We finally seen it in that second half lastnight, why they are the ones who will go up automatically. 

Agree with all of this and posted similar on the match thread.

McGlynn in his interview clearly hurting but trying not to put too much emphasis on individual mistakes and/or blaming individuals. I think he’s totally right to do this. Our season cannot end after a pumping by our biggest rivals when there is still so much at stake, and the final goal of promotion is still the same. 

Personally, I’m not overly bothered about getting to the semi at that shitehole of a stadium. What I am interested in is us keeping up our momentum for the rest of the season’s league campaign. A one-off cup game at home is probably one of the best chances we could have to lift the spirits of the team and fans. We’re not suddenly a terrible league 1 team overnight, and we’ve done more than enough since the turn of the year to suggest we could take care of any of the teams below us over two legs. The resilience the team has been much more evident, with us coming back from losing positions on multiple occasions.

Some folk have mentioned on social media that we don’t have bottle - I completely disagree with that to be honest. We might not be the best team in the league but this team still has something about them that shouldn’t be ignored. We just need to try and back them as well as we can to get them over the line. 

Bit of a tangent - apologies! 

McPake got his team spot on, took the width away and although a relatively even first forty five, we produced a very below par second forty five. So many players playing wrong passes, so many mistakes to mention made it an easy three points. Disappointing result, and can’t see our neighbours loosing it now. 
We’ve made good progress this season and if truth be told we’re maybe still two/three players off being the top table team.
It would be harsh making to many judgments after a fine run of results, so we park this result and get the preparations in place for Mondays cup game.

Thought the two full backs were poor all night. Morrison & Kennedy we’re out too wide, hugging the touch line, leaving Oliver isolated & the 3 in the middle never managed to impose themselves on the game.

Losing the 1st goal, whether it crosses the line, or not, made it doubly tough. But where to start on the 2nd, it was a complete gift from the moment Morrison chose to pass it back, with forwards close by in the box!

In the end, they just didn’t look like coming close to scoring. Not enough invention or movement.

Edited by kiddy

I wasn’t at the game but the shape looked all wrong with Hendo dropping to the bench (for whatever reason). The back four with McGinn and Hendo winning the midfield scraps has surely been the nucleus for our success and that wasn’t a factor last night.

Just as a side note, there’s a lot of acceptance on here that it’s the play-offs. That’s probably going to be the case but there is still 27 points to play for with a home game against Dunfermline to come too. It’s not completely all over if we can go back to what we were doing before with the 4-2-3-1. Who knows, we could take it to the last game and you never know on the day.

15 minutes ago, Just a bairn said:

Agree with all of this and posted similar on the match thread.

McGlynn in his interview clearly hurting but trying not to put too much emphasis on individual mistakes and/or blaming individuals. I think he’s totally right to do this. Our season cannot end after a pumping by our biggest rivals when there is still so much at stake, and the final goal of promotion is still the same. 

Personally, I’m not overly bothered about getting to the semi at that shitehole of a stadium. What I am interested in is us keeping up our momentum for the rest of the season’s league campaign. A one-off cup game at home is probably one of the best chances we could have to lift the spirits of the team and fans. We’re not suddenly a terrible league 1 team overnight, and we’ve done more than enough since the turn of the year to suggest we could take care of any of the teams below us over two legs. The resilience the team has been much more evident, with us coming back from losing positions on multiple occasions.

Some folk have mentioned on social media that we don’t have bottle - I completely disagree with that to be honest. We might not be the best team in the league but this team still has something about them that shouldn’t be ignored. We just need to try and back them as well as we can to get them over the line. 

Bit of a tangent - apologies! 

My thoughts as well.

I think I posted back after the game in November that we had lost the opportunity to win the league. I haven't really thought any differently since then. Dunfermline have only lost one game to our 4 and the points difference was always going to be difficult to overcome.

We have been improved hugely by our dealings in the January transfer window and aside from a last-minite penalty at Alloa would have beaten all of the teams directly below us since then.

Still optimistic we can finish second and make a fist of it in the playoffs. A decent performance in the cup would be good too.

23 minutes ago, Numbers_One_To_Eleven said:

I wasn’t at the game but the shape looked all wrong with Hendo dropping to the bench (for whatever reason). The back four with McGinn and Hendo winning the midfield scraps has surely been the nucleus for our success and that wasn’t a factor last night.

Just as a side note, there’s a lot of acceptance on here that it’s the play-offs. That’s probably going to be the case but there is still 27 points to play for with a home game against Dunfermline to come too. It’s not completely all over if we can go back to what we were doing before with the 4-2-3-1. Who knows, we could take it to the last game and you never know on the day.

There was a couple of supporters arguing this exact point. (line up)on the bus home. However it’s easy to aim blame after getting beat by our bitter rivals.
McGlynn was asked in the post match interview why the changes, he said that you play you best players, arguably should we have stuck with last weeks starting line up or was it the changes that cost us the game ?

35 minutes ago, Numbers_One_To_Eleven said:

The issue I have with paragraph 2 is you would need Dunfermline to lose 3 from 9 games when they have lost 1 all season and require us to win 9 on the spin.

Last night was the opportunity to put down a marker if we wanted to challenge for the title and all over the park we weren’t good enough.