The Falkirk FC Thread

I thought Yeats was terrific yesterday. 

He had a great tackle 1st half where he was totally committed and won the ball only for it to bounce off him and fall to the QotS player unluckily.

He also had a lung bursting run which got us out and felt MacIver was slow to react to the offload.

32 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

Yeats still getting criticism from  some but I really do wonder what people are expecting from a right back at Falkirk. Unless you are Ashley Cole or Kyle walker you are always going to lose out to a tricky wide player at some point in a match the main thing is you don't dive in and allow others to get back and cover which he is very good at.

I agree with this. I've got a memory from my schooldays that towards the end of a Physics lesson in an all boys class we were discussing football with the teacher and he said something along the lines of "if a winger gets past his man even 50 per cent of the time then he's doing a good job for the team". 

By the counter argument that means the full back beats the winger 50 per cent of the time as nobody is going to win every battle they get into. 

Yeats is doing fine at RB for me, its his position to lose now

8 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

It looks worse on video than it did at the time, but at the time I felt he just wasn't strong enough and I haven't really changed my mind

If it was simply shoulder to shoulder I'd definitely agree with you it's the legs that make me say penalty as by the looks of the highlights he trips him up at the same time as he's shouldering him .

Good result yesterday against a good queens team who will almost definitely finish third. Like others have said we really miss Ageyman and Miller. We just aren’t direct enough without them and yesterday had shadows of last season. With that being said I would be tempted to change it up next week. Maybe player McIver in the #10 role with Allan or Oliver up front? I know Ross played all across the front 4 in his county days and he would offer a suitable replacement for Agyeman in that role. I would still play Ethan ross next week he definitely just need some game time. I hope Mcglynn tries something a wee bit different for the next couple of games as I’m not 100% sure that starting 11 yesterday would beat Hamilton. 

2 minutes ago, Kevin James Left Knee said:

LICK THOSE SALTY TEARS. 

Few things: 

1) Their chances came playing off our mistakes, it’s not like they created any themselves. 

2) Of course they defended well they were deeper than the Clyde with a back 5. 

3) they sat in a 5-4-1 and didn’t even press us. It’s league 1 ffs

20 minutes ago, Kevin James Left Knee said:

LICK THOSE SALTY TEARS. 

Oofft. Rose tinted spectacles sure enough. It suits our cause if Bartley continues this deluded approach to how he sees games panning out. I'm all for managers being positive with their teams, however, there's being positive and there's not seeing things as they actually happened. The stats on the BBC show 44% posession, no shots on target and 1 corner! They've lost 50% of their games so far and play Hamilton next week.

Talking of which I see in Hamilton's last 3 games of quarter 1 they play both ourselves and QoS away so will be interesting to see where things sit after 9 games.

Edited by bridge of allan bairn

6 minutes ago, bridge of allan bairn said:

Oofft. Rose tinted spectacles sure enough. It suits our cause if Bartley continues this deluded approach to how he sees games panning out. I'm all for managers being positive with their teams, however, there's being positive and there's not seeing things as they actually happened. The stats on the BBC show 44% posession, no shots on target and 1 corner! They've lost 50% of their games so far and play Hamilton next week.

Talking of which I see in Hamilton's last 3 games of quarter 1 they play both ourselves and QoS away so will be interesting to see where things sit after 9 games.

Agree, had a bit of respect for the guy, but pass me the sick bucket. The first quarter of games will set out where the general direction is going with the front runners. 

3 hours ago, Springfield said:

Agree, had a bit of respect for the guy, but pass me the sick bucket. The first quarter of games will set out where the general direction is going with the front runners. 

Here are our points for the first quarter of the past few seasons in League One. 

23/24- 16 points(3 games left)

22/23- 17 points 

21/22- 14 points 

20/21- 20 points 

19/20- 16 points 

For reference Dunfermline got 21 points in their first 9 matches last season so we could be on course to eclipse that. We’re already ahead of their 14 points after 6 games but unfortunately so are Hamilton. Just need to keep getting the results whatever way we can as this could go neck and neck with them. 

Edited by Van_damage

I had a clear head on view of Lawal's penalty claim.  No way was it a penalty.  I think because he is probably the lightest player on the field by a long way the fair challenge with the defender knocked him over.  Yes it could have been given on a different day but it would have been lucky.  Had it been a more robust player, like Alfie in that challenge he would have probably powered through it and crossed or shot.

I have a blind spot when it comes to Lawal.  To me his close ball control is really poor, is easily dispossessed and he looks like (and regularly does) trip over his own feet at any given time.  He scored a great goal the other week, but I still am very sceptical about his abilities. Maybe in a few years he will mature into a good player but at the moment it is clear, at least to me, why he doesn't start games

Edited by Long Suffering Bairn

3 hours ago, FK1Bairn said:

I agree with this. I've got a memory from my schooldays that towards the end of a Physics lesson in an all boys class we were discussing football with the teacher and he said something along the lines of "if a winger gets past his man even 50 per cent of the time then he's doing a good job for the team". 

By the counter argument that means the full back beats the winger 50 per cent of the time as nobody is going to win every battle they get into. 

Yeats is doing fine at RB for me, its his position to lose now

The late great Davie Cooper at a football night I attended talked about what he judged as an effective fullback.

1. Slow you down and jocky you

2. Fast recovery on being beaten get goal side and repeat.

By that time back up for the fullback arrives so the winger passes it back - sideways.

He gave the example of Stuart Kennedy saying Stuart would slow me down but I could beat him and he knew I could beat him but he made me beat him on his terms. Would not have gone a dozen steps and Stuart was goalside again and a case of 'FFS Stuart' by that time you had the likes of Simpson or Cooper on your case then it got hairy.

Top guy was Davie taken far too soon and spoke very well.

4 hours ago, Tea and Busquets said:

Few things: 

1) Their chances came playing off our mistakes, it’s not like they created any themselves. 

2) Of course they defended well they were deeper than the Clyde with a back 5. 

3) they sat in a 5-4-1 and didn’t even press us. It’s league 1 ffs

One thing :

1. Marvin Bartley is an arsehole - he’s trendy in the media just now but that will pass cos he’s a total cock of a man.

1 hour ago, bairn88 said:

“Mackmate” on YouTube has a view of the penalty from behind the goals. Just a shoulder barge; Lawal gets bitched. No penalty 

You could be right although it's difficult to tell from that angle as you can't see whether he makes contact with his body or legs first . From behind it looks more like legs.

45 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

One thing :

1. Marvin Bartley is an arsehole - he’s trendy in the media just now but that will pass cos he’s a total cock of a man.

Talks a good game and that makes a lot of people think that he must be going to be a good manager but it really means feck all. If he thinks mcguffie is worth a start he's clearly got real problems.