The Falkirk FC Thread

Just watched Lang's post-match interview. He is absolutely raging! I can't imagine he's the only one. I really hope we'll look back on this result and say that this is where we kicked on and went on to win the league. Sometimes, teams become complacent and what's needed is a kick up the arse. Well, we got one today. A reality check - we need to play our best players when fit, no exceptions. 

32 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

"Stats are like mini skirts. It's what they don't reveal that is the interesting part" - Ebbe Skovdahl.

I hope you had a go at our wee ball boys who managed to return the ball onto the pitch when a Falkirk player already had one... 😄

I hope you enjoyed the ball hitting the back of the net from that penalty in the last second of the game 🤣

5 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

That's as hard a run of fixtures ad you can really imagine. 

If we come through that run of games unscathed then I think we'll be okay. Aye, it's 2 dropped today but we'll get them back when Accies come to TFS.

3 hours ago, Rugster said:

Changed it yesterday. Maybe I’m the Jonah?

You always sound like you're having a whale of a time.

3 hours ago, Roboccop said:

Hubris nearly caused that defeat, and I’m far from sudden that wasn’t a dive at the end

Never rated him!

Have calmed down a bit since FT. I've not seen much evidence of an over-reaction to be fair (maybe bar one or two) - just people rightly calling out that McGlynn made a major f**k up by needlessly changing a settled, winning starting 11 against a team bottom of the league, and that it very, very nearly led to defeat and cost us a silly two points. He's rightly been on the end of a lot of praise this season for getting basically every single call right since July; just as he gets praise when he deserves it, he'll also get criticism when he makes a blunder, too.

I agree with others saying this will hopefully be used as a boot up the arse for the rest of the season. McGlynn himself said there was no room for complacency and we had to stay humble, but the team selection today struck me as complacent. Maybe he'll take his own advice from here on in. However, the team in the second half did salvage a draw and while a disappointing result, it's not a disaster. I think he'll have learned from today and it won't happen again. Put today behind us, start our strongest 11 at all times and let's keep up the momentum and good feeling. We've come way too far for one bad day to throw us and it's still entirely in our hands.

A lot of talk about playing our strongest 11 at all times. It doesn’t have to be quite as black and white as this. I mean, I think there’s a world of difference between starting a Mackie or an Allan who’ve had so little game time and an Oliver or Ageyman who have consistently featured. Sometimes a manager might look at a player (or two) that might need to be benched, for whatever reason, even in a winning side. 

Todays selection seemed to lack any real thought other than - it’s only Edinburgh City.

Edited by Numbers_One_To_Eleven

Today is on the manager. I’m sure he will learn from it and we won’t see that kinda shit again. However after 21 league games that’s our first properly bad result so I’m not gona over react.

Agree with others that today should be the end of the Jordan Allan love in. Even though we’re unbeaten all season there’s a section of our support who continually harp on how he should be getting more game time. The guy is not good enough to lead the line for us - plain and simple. He certainly wasn’t alone today but he’s the one folk keep harping on about.

Strongest 11 from now on please. 

2 minutes ago, Numbers_One_To_Eleven said:

A lot of talk about playing our strongest 11 at all times. It doesn’t have to be quite as black and white as this. I mean, I think there’s a world of difference between starting a Mackie or an Allan who’ve had so little game time and an Oliver or Ageyman who has consistently featured. Sometimes a manager might look at a player (or two) that might need to be benched, for whatever reason, even in a winning side. 

Todays selection seemed to lack any real thought other than - it’s only Edinburgh City.

A fair point, and well made. One or two tweaks every now and then is absolutely fine. Sometimes, starting 11 players will lose form, need a rest etc. Wholesale changes is just absolutely mental though and I was worried the second I seen the teamsheet. In defence in particular, it was all over the shop. 

29 minutes ago, Balde Bairn said:

I hope you enjoyed the ball hitting the back of the net from that penalty in the last second of the game 🤣

Still a point more than than I expected. As I've seen City lose to Hawick and Gala Fairydean in my time a last minute penalty equaliser to Falkirk is neither here nor there 

5 minutes ago, Raybowski89 said:

A fair point, and well made. One or two tweaks every now and then is absolutely fine. Sometimes, starting 11 players will lose form, need a rest etc. Wholesale changes is just absolutely mental though and I was worried the second I seen the teamsheet. In defence in particular, it was all over the shop. 

I look at Liam Henderson, for example. Every game  I see him in he seems to get a dull one on numerous occasions. He might be “fit” for the next game but I think to myself, could he be rested to get more out of him later in the season?

Just 4 weeks ago we played Hamilton and before the game we were level on points, since then we’ve gone 9 clear and granted they have a game in hand but they still have to win that. I think our first 11 will be hurting with that today and we have too many good players who have enough about them to make sure we step things up in coming games.

Edited by Harry Kinnear

21 minutes ago, Numbers_One_To_Eleven said:

A lot of talk about playing our strongest 11 at all times. It doesn’t have to be quite as black and white as this. I mean, I think there’s a world of difference between starting a Mackie or an Allan who’ve had so little game time and an Oliver or Ageyman who has consistently featured. Sometimes a manager might look at a player (or two) that might need to be benched, for whatever reason, even in a winning side. 

I agree but would add that it wasn’t just the regular starting eleven who changed, but the formation and style.

John McGlynn has been a manager in professional Scottish Football since 2006. 18 (eighteen) years.
He’s not some wet behind the ears rookie, and to say he’ll learn from this mistake is incredulous. From his post-match interview, he initially (and mostly) laid the blame on the defence. 
There’s only one direction in which to point the accusatory finger, mate, and that is the way of the Falkirk FC team management who decided to change a winning team formation and players simultaneously. 
Those Raith Rovers fans warned us last season about his tinkering (and that came to pass too) but I (we) am dumbfounded that this was repeated here.  

And Tom Lang was visibly shaking with rage post match…I’m not sure we’ve heard the last of this.

Edited by HonestAl

1 minute ago, HonestAl said:

I agree but would add that it wasn’t just the regular starting eleven who changed, but the formation and style.

John McGlynn has been a manager in professional Scottish Football since 2006. 18 (eighteen) years.
He’s not some wet behind the ears rookie, and to say he’ll learn from this mistake is incredulous. From his post-match interview, he initially (and mostly) laid the blame on the defence. 
There’s only one direction in which to point the accusatory finger, mate, and that is the way of the Falkirk FC team management who decided to change a winning team formation and players simultaneously. 
Those Raith Rovers fans warned us last season about his tinkering (and that came to pass too) but I (we) are dumbfounded that this was repeated here.  

And Tom Lang was visibly shaking with rage……I’m not sure we’ve heard the last of this.

To be fair I think this was just the cold

3 minutes ago, HonestAl said:

Those Raith Rovers fans warned us last season about his tinkering (and that came to pass too) but I (we) are dumbfounded that this was repeated here.  

And Tom Lang was visibly shaking with rage……I’m not sure we’ve heard the last of this.

No wonder Tam Lang was raging! Coll at RB? Mackie at LB? Hendo at CB? Wtf was that all about? Changing the front 3 is one thing but why completely change a defensive unit that has kept clean sheets in the last 3 games? I'm honestly completely dumbfounded by the logic behind those decisions in particular.