The Falkirk FC Thread

Good interview. Particularly glad to hear McGlynn say that the objective would be to compete at the top end of the championship should we go up.

He also said a budget would need to be provided to facilitate this- which you’d presume would have been discussed as part of contract renewal.

3 hours ago, ebobsboy said:

I'm not convinced McGlynn has ever been 100% on McCann. Given Mackie was supposed to be his left back and banged the drum long  about him being xyz. Reality being McCann has fought his corner and will be a better left back than Mackie ever will as the day is long. Whether that gets McCann a new deal or not he's one I'd be sad to see go. I don't think he's done much wrong not to merit a new contract. 

Mcglynn says that he brought Mackie in to play left back but Mackie having to play left centre back at the start of last season meant McCann got a proper run in the team and he’s been superb this season. I would imagine talks will be underway with McCann, less so Mackie. 

2 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

Not for me. When we first got relegated to this league, I was embarrassed that we were in it. Because being in the third tier was where we were when I saw my first game in 78/79. We won promotion the following season and had never been back at this level since the mistakes of 18/19. 

Like most of us, I assumed we'd go up at the first time of asking. Maybe we would have done had covid not played a part. Which is why promotion would have meant nothing to me if/when it happened in that first season in League One. I expected us to scoosh the league. I was wrong.

After five years of misery, I will be going mental on the day that we finally win promotion. It will not be a relief. It will be something to be celebrated, enjoyed and remembered, just as 79/80 was for me. 

Hopefully this season is the one when it happens.  

Amen. This’ll be a massive win if we do go up.  

The club could have died not long ago, I’m not sure that really sunk in for many.  There’ll be nothing natural or cyclical about us going up - it’ll be the result of hard graft and ingenuity from some, dedication and loyalty by many, and unity from us all. 

5 minutes ago, StuartA said:

Amen. This’ll be a massive win if we do go up.  

The club could have died not long ago, I’m not sure that really sunk in for many.  There’ll be nothing natural or cyclical about us going up - it’ll be the result of hard graft and ingenuity from some, dedication and loyalty by many, and unity from us all. 

Huge credit has to go to John McGlynn. He came to us off the back of Falkirk finishing 5th and then 6th. A club in complete and utter disarray from top to bottom. We were on the road to nowhere, and, like he said in the interview today, teams viewed us as a bit of a soft touch. People will gloss over last season because of how disappointingly it ended, but the improvement can't be denied, and the building blocks for this season were definitely there, even then. We've been on a different level this season and whilst the cup exits are a bit disappointing, I won't be giving a single f**k if and when the league is secured.

Banter aside, I can't help but feel a genuine empathy for the Accies fans as their current situation is all too familiar. It's soul destroying watching a team and a club that are going absolutely nowhere. On current form, I don't see them winning the play-offs. 

2 hours ago, MSG GTF! said:

At 25:18 he drops his guts.

Ha ha, brilliant. Wee hint of a smile from him at the time too.

I think that was just his way of saying that we're going to pump Hamilton!!

3 hours ago, ShaggerG said:

Ha ha, brilliant. Wee hint of a smile from him at the time too.

I think that was just his way of saying that we're going to pump Hamilton!!

I thought it was a noise of him moving in his chair but farting is much funnier 

9 hours ago, Roboccop said:

What’s a surfer? I must be old I’ve no idea other than someone on a board. 

I immediately thought that but then to be fair I am on the Gold Coast and they are more common that bikes here. No one would bat an eyelid at an Ultra on a surfboard atop a crowd.

9 hours ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

Not for me. When we first got relegated to this league, I was embarrassed that we were in it. Because being in the third tier was where we were when I saw my first game in 78/79. We won promotion the following season and had never been back at this level since the mistakes of 18/19. 

Like most of us, I assumed we'd go up at the first time of asking. Maybe we would have done had covid not played a part. Which is why promotion would have meant nothing to me if/when it happened in that first season in League One. I expected us to scoosh the league. I was wrong.

After five years of misery, I will be going mental on the day that we finally win promotion. It will not be a relief. It will be something to be celebrated, enjoyed and remembered, just as 79/80 was for me. 

Hopefully this season is the one when it happens.  

This was my thinking too when we first came down. When we win the league, go up quietly as it was embarrassing to be down in L1. But after the last few years of shit, being knocked by every fan above us in the country, whenever it does happen, we need to enjoy it & use it as a catalyst for kicking on. 

25 minutes ago, FK1Bairn said:

I'm guessing this is for the KM7 stand and not the main?

👏👏👏 Brilliant!

yes, this is the main stand tifo, synchronized Werther's Originals opening.

1998 Werther's Original Commercial on Make a GIF

Edited by Bairn in Exile

11 hours ago, Springfield said:

McGlynn to his credit did say that McCann has earned the shirt this season after bringing in his replacement. When we’re on the front foot his attacking and width is really good, His crosses are good and has a finish. The games in which he finds difficult is when teams press higher and more direct, on the very limited games so far, when the opposition play it overhead or direct, he’s not as comfortable. 

That is a situation where you have team instructions to nullify that weakness. Double bank, press to cut out that killer pass.

McCann has far more positives than negatives and I hope he stays.

33 minutes ago, hobbes said:

I'm sure I saw them testing it on Tuesday... looks great. 

In general I think they're a bit tinpot but the one against Ayr in the cup (I think?) won me over. Full stand effort or nothing imo. 

1 hour ago, bairn88 said:

In general I think they're a bit tinpot but the one against Ayr in the cup (I think?) won me over. Full stand effort or nothing imo. 

Very very narrow minded way of looking at it. Yes the full stand one does look better. However, the ultras do a fantastic job and these TIFOs do not come cheap. A full stand display costs significantly more than the section where the ultras sit. Moreover, would all of the fans in the KM7 stand have the appetite to take part in displays more frequently? Probably not. It’s great the ultras do tifo displays, no matter the size. “Full stand effort or nothing” is just ignorant to the time, cost, and effort associated with these displays. 

If not already I think the Ultras should consider trying to move to the centre of KM7 behind the goals, even for next season.  Will help the atmosphere/involvement splinter out across more of the stand and smaller Tifo's would maybe work better.

12 minutes ago, Big chungus said:

Very very narrow minded way of looking at it. Yes the full stand one does look better. However, the ultras do a fantastic job and these TIFOs do not come cheap. A full stand display costs significantly more than the section where the ultras sit. Moreover, would all of the fans in the KM7 stand have the appetite to take part in displays more frequently? Probably not. It’s great the ultras do tifo displays, no matter the size. “Full stand effort or nothing” is just ignorant to the time, cost, and effort associated with these displays. 

It is a full stand display, albeit that it looks like the banner will only be in the middle.

I am still embarrassed to be in League One - that’s never gone away and it was even worse when the clowns in positions of power dragged us closer to the mean of the incredibly poor standard of this league over a number of years. It’s no surprise when we finally got competent people operating the club both on and off the pitch that we’re back challenging at the top. That’s not to understate the amount of work that has gone into making that happen in such a short space of time; it probably actually highlights how badly the previous custodians were doing.

Some might say that embarrassment is wrong, that’s fair enough - but I don’t think it’s actually too dissimilar a feeling from what has been driving the squad that is so different this season. McGlynn recruited born winners who were well aware a properly functioning Falkirk shouldn’t be at this level and they’ve been relentless since the day they came in. It’s turned us from being a soft touch where teams thought they could turn us over to the kind of Falkirk we expected when we initially came down. I do agree that if we do win the league this year (still not done and dusted, all of us know this) I’ll celebrate like mad - I’d be absolutely delighted. But it would be dishonest of me to say a significant part of that wouldn’t be out of relief that the last 5 years were over as a period in our history and that the club would be in a better position than when we came down. A catalyst would have taken place to kick on, and lessons would have been learned to never make the the same mistakes again that led to us being down here in the first place. 

Edited by 18BAIRN76