The Falkirk FC Thread

1 hour ago, FalkirkBairn2021 said:

Why bother? It's done. Everyone knows it's done. I don't think our players are scouring P&B to become complacent because some random like me says the league is done. 

It's pretty similar to last season. When we lost that Dunfermline away game the league race died. That's what Saturday was.

I'm in two minds about this squad. I'd like to think it would be competitive at the top half as is but that's probably wishful thinking. 

What our ambitions are for next season are interesting too. Its likely to be the weakest Championship for a long time if DU go up. But for a promoted team to go up and win it? That's a big ask. 

Interesting summer recruitment ahead. Keeping Calvin Miller seems important to me. And finding an actual goalkeeper or two is a priority. 

I'm assuming Morrison will leave. If he does good luck to him. He's contributed massively this season and owes us nothing.

I think the IF bit comes from painful memories of past disasters and the hope that it does not go bad. I think we are ALMOST certain league winners but we get the billy bigbaws tag from other teams supporters if we say it is over

3 hours ago, bridge of allan bairn said:

I still think getting an experienced keeper is the number 1 priority for next season. I'm happy with Hogarth as No2, he's young and will get better with age and experience.

I agree with this but there's not much between Hogarth and Long for me. 

I'd also like to see us sign a 'proper' right back. I know we've signed the lad from Cumbernauld Colts and Finn Yeats has been brilliant there this season, I just wonder if the jump a division might be too much for them. Both our fullbacks seem to get targeted by high diagonals from the opposition, they obviously think that's the way to get through us

11 minutes ago, FK1Bairn said:

I'd also like to see us sign a 'proper' right back. I know we've signed the lad from Cumbernauld Colts and Finn Yeats has been brilliant there this season, I just wonder if the jump a division might be too much for them. Both our fullbacks seem to get targeted by high diagonals from the opposition, they obviously think that's the way to get through us

I wouldn’t worry too much about RB. McGlynn knows a player and you can still get decent players from that level. Two of Hamilton’s starting line up were at Blackburn juniors two years ago. Owens and Redfern 

12 minutes ago, FK1Bairn said:

Both young and prone to errors, however Long gives more confidence and better with his feet, I think he’ll go further with his career.

1 hour ago, Sarcastic Bairn said:

Both young and prone to errors, however Long gives more confidence and better with his feet, I think he’ll go further with his career.

I agree. I sometimes think our fans can be too harsh on both our keepers. Yes they've made mistakes that have cost us goals but show me a professional keeper who doesn't make mistakes

1 hour ago, Bigbrbairn said:

I think the IF bit comes from painful memories of past disasters and the hope that it does not go bad. I think we are ALMOST certain league winners but we get the billy bigbaws tag from other teams supporters if we say it is over

Don’t give a stuff about other teams fans, it’s over.

Enjoy the run in.

32 minutes ago, FK1Bairn said:

I agree. I sometimes think our fans can be too harsh on both our keepers. Yes they've made mistakes that have cost us goals but show me a professional keeper who doesn't make mistakes

The keepers make mistakes but the rest of the team have bailed them out for it and as you say we’re harsh on the keepers probably because we have had so many shit keepers

20 minutes ago, Hisingdoon said:

The keepers make mistakes but the rest of the team have bailed them out for it and as you say we’re harsh on the keepers probably because we have had so many shit keepers

A steady reliable goalkeeper would make a massive difference to that 11, it’s the only position I’d say we’ve had any significant issues with. 

Edited by LatapyBairn.

1 hour ago, FK1Bairn said:

You just have to look at Alisson's performance for Liverpool the other week against, Arsenal I think it was. Supposedly one of the best 'keepers in the world, but he made umpteen howlers, including letting a shot through his legs.

I don’t think Hogarth & Long are bad keepers, they’re 22 & 21 years old respectively. Goalkeepers usually play, and sometimes peak, well into their 30s, so It’s only naturally they’ll make a few mistakes at this stage in their careers. But, I do agree that a more experienced keeper next season is crucial for that step up into the championship 

16 hours ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

I think Agyeman has more to offer and would keep him.  He's young and did well in the early part of the season until he lost his place.  When he comes on he often battles well and is raw but powerful.  Would have liked to have seen him replace MacIvor up top more often than always seeing him on the wing.  

Oliver, not for me.  Anonymous too many times last season and in his appearances this.  We'll need better for the Championship.  

I never buy this "he's young and will develop" talk. He's either good enough or he isn't .And I don't think he is good enough. By the way, Alfie is only a year younger than Callumn Morrison who has been our top player for the last 4 seasons or since he was 21 years old. Previous to that he had played 30 games for Hearts between the ages of 16 and 21. Other examples are Stephen Kingsley who first played for us at the age of 16 and played 88 games before moving on to Swansea at the age of 19/20. Scott Arfield made his debut at age at the age of 18 and played 108 games for us before moving on. Craig Sibbald played his first game for us at the age of 16 and made 214 appearances before leaving at the age of 23 (the same age Alfie is now).

Spoiler

11 minutes ago, Bairns1994 said:

I don’t think Hogarth & Long are bad keepers, they’re 22 & 21 years old respectively. Goalkeepers usually play, and sometimes peak, well into their 30s, so It’s only naturally they’ll make a few mistakes at this stage in their careers. But, I do agree that a more experienced keeper next season is crucial for that step up into the championship 

Heard on Saturday the Club has high hopes for the keeper who is out on loan

Just now, BPM said:

Heard on Saturday the Club has high hopes for the keeper who is out on loan

Hayward? Imo he is still a bit young and he is good for friendlies unless he has a blinder in said friendlies he isn’t the solution, an experienced keeper and Hogarth is a better idea

2 minutes ago, Hisingdoon said:

Hayward? Imo he is still a bit young and he is good for friendlies unless he has a blinder in said friendlies he isn’t the solution, an experienced keeper and Hogarth is a better idea

Where did I say he was the solution? All I said was the club had high hopes for him.

31 minutes ago, Bairn in Exile said:

I never buy this "he's young and will develop" talk. He's either good enough or he isn't .And I don't think he is good enough. By the way, Alfie is only a year younger than Callumn Morrison who has been our top player for the last 4 seasons or since he was 21 years old. Previous to that he had played 30 games for Hearts between the ages of 16 and 21. Other examples are Stephen Kingsley who first played for us at the age of 16 and played 88 games before moving on to Swansea at the age of 19/20. Scott Arfield made his debut at age at the age of 18 and played 108 games for us before moving on. Craig Sibbald played his first game for us at the age of 16 and made 214 appearances before leaving at the age of 23 (the same age Alfie is now).

Reveal hidden contents

So clearly you believe that if you don’t show the ability at a young age then you’ll never be good enough! I suppose Jamie Vardy doesn’t exist in your world or Miroslav Klose or Ian Wright for that matter. Some players develop later than others so I certainly wouldn’t write a player off because he’s 23 and that means he will never be good enough

I think the fact that neither keeper has made the No1 spot their own tells its own story. You wouldn't be surprised to see Long start tomorrow night.

I think having 2 young keepers is a problem and we'd have been better off with one of them with another experienced keeper in as back up for them to learn from. Will be more important next season as we're unlikely to be anywhere near as dominant so will need more confidence from the back.

34 minutes ago, Bairn in Exile said:

Hide contents

Player development isn't linear and it happens differently for everyone. Saying they're either good enough or they aren't is an incredibly binary way of looking at things and would rule you out of signing a lot of late bloomers. Players are clearly more likely to have a good career if they're good at a young age but it's no guarantee.

On Alfie I think he can turn into a useful player for us. He's got the technical and athletic ability. What lets him down is the decision-making which is the most coachable attribute out of those.