The Falkirk FC Thread

46 minutes ago, AJ1981 said:

this is hell, please please please let the season start as soon as possible, never looked forward to a friendly so much in my life....... please FFS

This has been a long boring break. Okay we have got our full team signed early but i have got to the stage of dreaming of a unknown signing just for the mystery!

5 hours ago, Springfield said:

Let’s hope it’s not too serious but a bit concerned that it’s a few weeks since he’s played. Seems that Henderson is also carrying some concern.

Still think that we should consider a CB if we can stretch the budget, as with Lang only returning from injury, for me we need cover. 

100% need a centre back IMO. Cannot rely on Lang due to his knee issues. It could go again at any time. 

51 minutes ago, Bigbrbairn said:

This has been a long boring break. Okay we have got our full team signed early but i have got to the stage of dreaming of a unknown signing just for the mystery!

Not for me. I’m still basking in the afterglow of our invincibles season and we’ve signed a couple of players that we were keen to get on board, Ethan Ross and especially Dylan Tait. An excellent closed season so far. However, I would love to see an established, experienced Championship level CB signed.

Just over 3 weeks until our game against The Arabs.

COYB.

6 hours ago, Springfield said:

Let’s hope it’s not too serious but a bit concerned that it’s a few weeks since he’s played. Seems that Henderson is also carrying some concern.

Still think that we should consider a CB if we can stretch the budget, as with Lang only returning from injury, for me we need cover. 

Agreed, we don't want to find ourselves in another situation like the end of last season when we were down to the bare bones defensively. 

1 hour ago, Tea and Busquets said:

100% need a centre back IMO. Cannot rely on Lang due to his knee issues. It could go again at any time. 

Dylan Corr is free and would probably fit the the bill of McGlynn signed ex Raith Rovers players. 

22 minutes ago, mrpaddyx said:

Dylan Corr is free and would probably fit the the bill of McGlynn signed ex Raith Rovers players. 

He's only just turned 19 and has played a handful of first team games. McGlynn didn't sign him for Raith either. Maybe worth a gamble as cover if he's cheap enough.

11 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

He's only just turned 19 and has played a handful of first team games. McGlynn didn't sign him for Raith either. Maybe worth a gamble as cover if he's cheap enough.

Notice Hanlon to Fife not in the bag yet so would be interested if say a 2 year deal mooted with coaching responsibilities part of the gig? Surely he knows we are a better prospect than Fife?

4 minutes ago, Kircer bairn said:

Notice Hanlon to Fife not in the bag yet so would be interested if say a 2 year deal mooted with coaching responsibilities part of the gig? Surely he knows we are a better prospect than Fife?

I would imagine that money would be the stumbling block there?

4 minutes ago, Kircer bairn said:

I think it'll come down to cash. You'd have thought if he was signing for Raith he'd have done so already. 

Corr, I think, will end up in England. 

My understanding is he turned down staying at Raith in order to "take the next step" in his career. That says to me he doesn't want to come and play 2nd fiddle to Finn Yeats.

6 minutes ago, Blame Me said:

My understanding is he turned down staying at Raith in order to "take the next step" in his career. That says to me he doesn't want to come and play 2nd fiddle to Finn Yeats.

He’s a centre half, think he fits exactly the profile we’d be looking for but I think we’ll be solely looking at the loan market if there’s any more signings to be made.

54 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

He did ok for us , I probably would have kept him but we spent most of last season using a midfielder as a CB instead of him so I can see why he chose to leave. 

1 hour ago, Blame Me said:

If he sees how far and well Yeats how come on with us that might be a reason he would want to come. 

2 hours ago, mrpaddyx said:

2 hours ago, ShaggerG said:

1 hour ago, Blame Me said:

That’s exactly what he is wanting, starts. The word was also he had a player option he declined to exercise, perhaps after he saw our incoming CB signings.

10 minutes ago, Double t said:

If he sees how far and well Yeats how come on with us that might be a reason he would want to come. 

He came to us on a one year deal after being released from Celtic B to start get a chance to start games. He got injured during the cup matches and was out of the team the first couple of months, and by the time he got back he couldn’t get a start…behind a RM/CM starting at CB. He literally got no play until  early the last month of the season, where he was looking, at times, of perhaps being capable starting at this level despite playing with a strapped up shoulder from a dislocation. He’s going somewhere to be either a number one or get significant play with a high level reserve/B team, and a chance with the first team. He needs game time NOW, which is why you have the same issue we had, you can’t promise it,

Had time to think over the current defensive issues. McGlynn won’t wait, I’d imagine he’s already got the feelers out for another CB. The risk is far too high considering Toms last couple of seasons. However he may be happy to play Mackie should we require.

23 hours ago, Bairney The Dinosaur said:

It's interesting to see what's been happening at Motherwell the last couple weeks regarding external investment in a fan-owned club. There's a lot to unpack (and if you have time please read it because the investor has signed up to P&B to debate which is always fun) but essentially they have received an investment proposal which would dilute their fan ownership shareholding below 50% (from 70% odd).

The sticking point for them is the dilution below 50% and the level of investment being pretty low scale in Premiership terms. It made me think about our status and our own model and I do think we should be quite attractive to an investor. The proposed investment in Motherwell was something like £2m spread over 6 years, for 49% of the Club. It would require a lot of work obviously, and you have to take into account the larger shareholders and smaller shareholders who are not part of the Patrons Group but in an ideal world you could have the FSS and Patrons make up 50%+1 of shares and the rest open to a larger investor(s).

I get where you’re coming from with 50%+1. We could retain control of the Club whilst the major 49% investor could, say, install a grass pitch and complete the 4th Stand, corner pods etc. Perfectly reasonable scenario except we don’t have and/or can’t find said investor.

7 hours ago, mrpaddyx said:

He is fucking rubbish 

49 minutes ago, GunnerBairn said:

I get where you’re coming from with 50%+1. We could retain control of the Club whilst the major 49% investor could, say, install a grass pitch and complete the 4th Stand, corner pods etc. Perfectly reasonable scenario except we don’t have and/or can’t find said investor.

It would take a very significant investment and the very best of intentions for all that to happen. The Motherwell situation is an education.

My fag-packet calculations suggest that any investor would have to pay nigh on seven figures to get in the door, and well over to get 49%.

Lots of variables could and would change that obviously, including the urgency of need. But then any compromise from fans would need a pretty good quid pro quo in terms of what the investor would bring to the club. 

(ETA: the premise here is new shares and investment as per earlier post, and not transfer of existing shares which is a completely different and more likely scenario)

Edited by StuartA

I would play Mackie who had an excellent finish to the season if coll is struggling...suspect him & hendo will be cover for CB & in hendos case midfield as I think Tait will be starting before him in midfield...not that he deserves to be dropped but Tait hasn't signed for two years to start on the bench & Spencers undroppable