The Falkirk FC Thread

32 minutes ago, kiddy said:

We do? Oh, right, wouldn’t have known.

20 minutes ago, kiddy said:

We already have enough CH cover , with Coll, Lang, Mackie, Henderson & MacIver. Don’t need to invent a role for another.

We again now is it? f**k off, w****r. 

13 minutes ago, ChrispPancake said:

McIver's a striker, no one sets a squad and says 'don't worry about defence, we have a striker who can cover'.

Also , as mucb ad Mackie had been brilliant in the last few games he has a faulty 'kill switch' and can be really unpredictable in key moments.

Everything has to be considered in the terms of the Championship being a real step up and we can't cobble players into positions tor nor have quality cover for the standard of  the league you're in

There isn’t a bottomless pit of the #NBP &, as unlikely as it was, they found themselves down to the bare bones on Saturday. That, ultimately, it boiled down to the CF filling in, (as 5th choice). It showed the resilience in the squad that it could be covered.

With the release list still to be issued. It shows that cash has to be spent wisely & unless a vacancy appears to accommodate a player like Hanlon. Then that could be better spent elsewhere.

2 minutes ago, kiddy said:

There isn’t a bottomless pit of the #NBP &, as unlikely as it was, they found themselves down to the bare bones on Saturday. That, ultimately, it boiled down to the CF filling in, (as 5th choice). It showed the resilience in the squad that it could be covered.

With the release list still to be issued. It shows that cash has to be spent wisely & unless a vacancy appears to accommodate a player like Hanlon. Then that could be better spent elsewhere.

If Mackie is being released I can understand the Hanlon signing should it happen. 

1 minute ago, LatapyBairn. said:

If Mackie is being released I can understand the Hanlon signing should it happen. 

Would be unfortunate should he head through the out door. As, with a run of games, he was just starting to show his worth to the team, in a couple of positions.

I suppose, like others, a victim of circumstance. Where every player would like to be afforded regular game time; yet, down to a winning team, find themselves kicking their heels, whilst watching their career stall.

37 minutes ago, ChrispPancake said:

McIver's a striker, no one sets a squad and says 'don't worry about defence, we have a striker who can cover'.

Also , as mucb ad Mackie had been brilliant in the last few games he has a faulty 'kill switch' and can be really unpredictable in key moments.

Everything has to be considered in the terms of the Championship being a real step up and we can't cobble players into positions tor nor have quality cover for the standard of  the league you're in

Agree with this, no way McGlynn thinks we've got enough cover.

We conceded 28 goals all season, 7 of them in the last 3 games when we didn't have any proper centre backs. 

25 minutes ago, kiddy said:

McKay's wages would be quite big and he is finished his stint

I've heard we have offers on the table for 3 players currently with the club so I presume that is Tait, Ross and I presume Mackie.  How many players we bring in will undoubtedly depend on whether these 3 sign or not. McKenna is a done deal and the other keeper will be a loan deal looking like stone. If all 3 sign I can't see there being that many more permanent signings through the door depending on what happens with the likes of Jordan Allen.  I'd expect probably a couple of loan signings perhaps after that probably.

Just now, Shodwall cat said:

I've heard we have offers on the table for 3 players currently with the club so I presume that is Tait, Ross and I presume Mackie.  How many players we bring in will undoubtedly depend on whether these 3 sign or not. McKenna is a done deal and the other keeper will be a loan deal looking like stone. If all 3 sign I can't see there being that many more permanent signings through the door depending on what happens with the likes of Jordan Allen.  I'd expect probably a couple of loan signings perhaps after that probably.

Wasn't the 3 players thing before Yeats had been announced as resigning? I'd be surprised to see Mackie there next season.

1 minute ago, FFC 1876 said:

Wasn't the 3 players thing before Yeats had been announced as resigning? I'd be surprised to see Mackie there next season.

No not what I was told.

4 minutes ago, GMBairn said:

Agree with this, no way McGlynn thinks we've got enough cover.

We conceded 28 goals all season, 7 of them in the last 3 games when we didn't have any proper centre backs. 

Temper that with playing 70 mins with 10 men, 2 were pens & 1 an OG. Everybody will have their own opinion on how preventable the other 4 were.

MacIver did an admirable job filling in at CB on Saturday but he was only playing there because both Henderson and Lang were injured and Coll was suspended. It should take an availability crisis of that magnitude or even worse before we rely on him to play CB in the league above and we certainly shouldn’t avoid signing one based on the fact that he technically “can” play there.

Won't we need to run with a very slightly larger squad next season in a better league? Won't we also have a higher budget with increased season tickets, gates, sponsorship, hospitality TV etc?

Off the top of my head the going and unknowns from this season are...

Long - to be replaced by strong

McKay - on a decent wage we suspect

Mcginn - on a decent wage again 

Mackie - potentially been offered a contract but rumours also leaving 

Tait - everyone would love to keep but if doesn't needs replaced

Ross - again worth keeping and possible contact on table

Allan - possibly doesn't fit plans and style of play so may go

Shanley - I've forgotten if he has a year to go?

Bisland - going back to parent club

Lawal - probably going

Sorry if I've missed any but there are 10 names on that list. Even if we keep Tait, Mackie, Ross, Shanley that's at least 6 that need replaced and preferably more if we don't want to be short again in a more competitive league.

There's quite a saving on some of those players going so I'm hoping that with a potentially bigger budget will mean half a dozen really decent players coming in. 

Strong (for long) and McKenna (for lawal?) make 2. 

If Hanlon rumours are true he'd replace mckay in terms of defenders. 

The young right back from Cumbernauld probably replacing bisland. 

Still quite a few existing players to be confirmed and hopefully another 3-4 new.

Just now, JS_FFC said:

MacIver did an admirable job filling in at CB on Saturday but he was only playing there because both Henderson and Lang were injured and Coll was suspended. It should take an availability crisis of that magnitude or even worse before we rely on him to play CB in the league above and we certainly shouldn’t avoid signing one based on the fact that he technically “can” play there.

I know it was all purely circumstantial, & highly unlikely to be replicated, but 5th choice for CH, in the Scottish Third Division? That highlights the strength in this squad, compared to the rest. Don’t think anybody else were afforded that luxury.

42 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

If that is correct and they all sign that would give us a squad of 18. Add a loan GK to that (hopefully Stone) and we’re up to 19 (20 if you include Allan but I’m pretty certain he’ll be moved on). McGlynn commented in a recent podcast he’s aiming for a squad of 20 but I think with the additional money from the ‘managers budget season tickets’ we might be able to stretch to 21 or 22 leaving space for 1 or 2 additions. 
Hanlon seems like a strong rumour a a centre forward and we might be just about done. 

If the earlier posts weve tabled offers for the named three, delighted with this. The last three games are a reminder that we defo need at least one preferably two CBs for next season. Loanees will be a huge part of where we are next season.

I’ve said it before but I’m not convinced by Mackie. I always thought he was a liability and even on Saturday he showed moments by either giving the ball away in poor positions or going flying into tackles he isn’t going to win. Personally I think we should be looking to get someone in who is better. 

I wouldn’t be opposed to him getting a new contract as if McGlynn believes he’s good enough for next season then who am I to argue

2 hours ago, bridge of allan bairn said:

Well done lads and thanks for putting the time and effort into this all season. 

Cheers mate. As long as people want to watch/listen we’ll keep it going 👍🏼

54 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

Could it not be Tait, Ross and Shanley?