The Falkirk FC Thread

2 hours ago, Russ said:

Aye I don't think you can count Flynn as he was nowhere even close to the first team when he moved to Liverpool.

First one that came to my mind was Tam McManus. 5 unremarkable sub appearances in the 06-07 season but was great for us in our first season down in the 10-11 season I'm sure he got around 8 goals in 16 games maybe? 

There’s the best example of the lot.

First XI:

Hogarth

Yeats-Donaldson-Lang-McCann

Spencer-Tait

Morrison-Nesbitt-Miller

MacIver

Rotation:

Snedden (GK)

Adams (RB/CB)

Mackie (LB/CB)

Henderson (CB/CDM)

McKenna (CDM/CAM)

Oliver (CAM/CF)

Agyemang (RW/CF)

Ross (LW)

Shanley (CF)

That’s a decent squad of 20 imo. I’d like to see plenty of rotation this year. Players like Keelan Adams, Liam Henderson and Sean Mackie aren’t notionally listed in my “starting XI”, but they should be starting plenty of games even if the first choice players avoid injury. I am comfortable that this squad can do well in this league although 1-2 loan signings wouldn’t go a miss of course.

53 minutes ago, RC55 FFC said:

McKenna will pop up with some big assists and big goals this season I think. 

Adds an extra bit of physicality and height in there too, didn't realise how robust he was until seeing him in the flesh.

Donaldson back in at centre back makes such a difference too, hopefully reacts well and is ready for Friday.

Airdrie have probably looked the most impressive from our league in the cup this season, even more so given they've brought in 13 new signings this summer.

Couple of quality loans if the cup money allows and we'll be in extremely good shape this season. 

20 minutes ago, JS_FFC said:

First XI:

Hogarth

Yeats-Donaldson-Lang-McCann

Spencer-Tait

Morrison-Nesbitt-Miller

MacIver

Rotation:

Snedden (GK)

Adams (RB/CB)

Mackie (LB/CB)

Henderson (CB/CDM)

McKenna (CDM/CAM)

Oliver (CAM/CF)

Agyemang (RW/CF)

Ross (LW)

Shanley (CF)

That’s a decent squad of 20 imo. I’d like to see plenty of rotation this year. Players like Keelan Adams, Liam Henderson and Sean Mackie aren’t notionally listed in my “starting XI”, but they should be starting plenty of games even if the first choice players avoid injury. I am comfortable that this squad can do well in this league although 1-2 loan signings wouldn’t go a miss of course.

I would have Henderson Donaldson or Henderson Laing before Donaldson Laing now. 

Doesn’t really matter too much. The front four will probably start every game when available (but often get taken off early). The back four and the two holding midfield spots should be seeing plenty of rotation between:

RB - Adams and Yeats.

LB - McCann and Mackie.

CB - Lang, Donaldson and Henderson (Mackie can play there if there are injuries). 

CDM - Spencer, Tait, Henderson, Yeats, maybe McKenna

The versatility of a number of players means we can get away with a slightly smaller squad.

Edited by JS_FFC

12 minutes ago, JS_FFC said:

The versatility of a number of players means we can get away with a slightly smaller squad.

This is where McGlynn should be applauded. Outside a catastrophic injury list, we’re well covered in every position, and even with some “good problem to have” issues. Of course we’ll always want a bit more depth or a bit more quality if we can, but if this is McGlynn having spent his budget, then I’m content with how he’s done it. I had been hankering after more cover at the back because of injuries, but then Adams happened. 

Edited by StuartA

26 minutes ago, RC55 FFC said:

I love Finn Yeats but I do think we’ll see him in midfield more (from the bench) than a RB this season. 

I was just saying this to my brother. Love Finn and want him to play but at the moment I think Adams looks the better option at RB. It’s a long season though and we’ll need the depth. The competition for RB is significantly stronger than it was last season, which can only be seen as a good thing

9 minutes ago, JS_FFC said:

Doesn’t really matter too much. The front four will probably start every game when available (but often get taken off early). The back four and the two holding midfield spots should be seeing plenty of rotation between:

RB - Adams and Yeats.

LB - McCann and Mackie.

CB - Lang, Donaldson and Henderson (Mackie can play there if there are injuries). 

CDM - Spencer, Tait, Henderson, Yeats, maybe McKenna

You are so wrong imo. A settled consistent defence is everything. Mcglynn has also stated in previous interviews that “you don’t change the back four unless you have to”. 

1 minute ago, Rocco said:

I was just saying this to my brother. Love Finn and want him to play but at the moment I think Adams looks the better option at RB. It’s a long season though and we’ll need the depth. The competition for RB is significantly stronger than it was last season, which can only be seen as a good thing

Been waiting 15 years for us to have a solid right back let alone have competition there! 

17 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Lang.

Hogurth

Yates Laing Donuldson Macky

Tate  Spincer

Morrisons   Nisbit     Millar

McIvor

30 minutes ago, RC55 FFC said:

I love Finn Yeats but I do think we’ll see him in midfield more (from the bench) than a RB this season. 

I agree, I love Finn but I just don’t see how we can keep Keelan out that side on what I’ve seen of him so far. He looks the type of player we could sell in the future for a lot of money.

9 minutes ago, tokyo bairn said:

Hogurth

Yates Laing Donuldson Macky

Tate  Spincer

Morrisons   Nisbit     Millar

McIvor

Fifer!

10 minutes ago, Big chungus said:

You are so wrong imo. A settled consistent defence is everything. Mcglynn has also stated in previous interviews that “you don’t change the back four unless you have to”. 

I take your point, I really do, but we’ve got 9 really talented players to fill 6 positions. If you just roll out the same XI every week, then the three you’re leaving out (for argument’s sake: Yeats, Donaldson and Mackie) will get pissed off and ask to leave.

One of the ways you maintain depth is to share out the minutes. Obviously you can’t do that there’s a major talent drop off, but I don’t see that with our squad.

I like Sam and his Footy Adventures vlogs so I watched his latest, Kirkintilloch Rob Roy playing their first game back in Kirkintilloch after 10 years. The reason for my post was the prices at the shop and the burger van.

Shop: 2 quid for coffee, tea and Bovril

Burger van: 5 quid for a burger!

At the juniors! (do we still call them that?)

Maybe Pie Sports ain't so bad after all?

1 minute ago, Bairn in Exile said:

I like Sam and his Footy Adventures vlogs so I watched his latest, Kirkintilloch Rob Roy playing their first game back in Kirkintilloch after 10 years. The reason for my post was the prices at the shop and the burger van.

Shop: 2 quid for coffee, tea and Bovril

Burger van: 5 quid for a burger!

At the juniors! (do we still call them that?)

Maybe Pie Sports ain't so bad after all?

Where have they been playing for the last decade?