The Falkirk FC Thread

50 minutes ago, Blame Me said:

I think we'd persisted with Burrell or Oliver - who obviously are a different type of striker - and it was quite difficult for the rest of the team to adapt to a target man.

Since MacIver was signed the team has been geared to his strengths and someone like Wright would be better in this team than the one he was in - although I suspect he still doesn't possess enough quality.

If we’d been able to keep Alegria the full season I think our campaign would have panned out better than it eventually did. He was just coming on to a game when we lost him, was playing that role perfectly and starting to get goals. Oliver actually performed admirably in the position for a long period after Alegria left and did get a few goals but his best position is definitely playing deeper. 

Edited by LatapyBairn.

19 minutes ago, Hartleys18/19Army said:

What's Alegria up to now? 

Wright got off to a bad start, missed a couple of sitters and it ended up being one of these painful situations to watch where the more he tried the worse it got. Anyway i think it shows how good he is going by where he's playing now.

Guangzhou in china 

10 hours ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

Lawal another

Also a load of the dross that were there when he took over (Wilson etc)

f**k me, Jaime Wilson. 

Shows how far we have come in 2 years. Hard worker, but truly incredible he was given a two year deal

2 hours ago, FalkirkBairn2021 said:

Shanley will be cheap as chips,  delighted to be there even as a backup and not expect to ever start. He's perfect for the squad.

Whilst that may be the case, it does not unfortunately compensate for the fact that he is probably not good enough for this level. He's certainly a trier, and has been unlucky on occasion not to have scored another two or three goals, but bluntly I've seen precious little to date to suggest that he has much of anything to offer. Fine for bringing off the bench on 70/75 minutes against a tiring, part-time League One side when the game has long since been put to bed but I would not like to be relying on him in the Championship. If MacIver is injured/suspended/loses form, we are in trouble. We absolutely could be doing with another valid striker option, though sincerely doubt we'll be getting one, so therefore need to hope that MacIver maintains form and fitness as alternative options are incredibly limited.

Is it just me, or is just about everyone crying out for a striker on here forgetting we just signed the Championship leading goalscorer the season prior and he is available to stand in if MacIver got injured? And he’s not the only one in the squad who can fill the position either…….

Edited by roman_bairn

Adding to the Shanley debate. I think he's a good squad option for now and good to come off the bench. In all honesty, I haven't seen enough of him to judge what his overall game is like, has he even completed a full 90 for us yet? Remember Mackie's situation the past couple of seasons and he barely got a kick of the ball, but now look and what a difference; and his patience paid off. I'd like to think Shanley will bide his time like Mackie did and his opportunity will come.

Edited to add: good point above re: McKenna. Haven't seen enough of the lad on the pitch and he needs more minutes on the pitch like Shanley. In a similar way, I can't comment on what McKenna's like up front as haven't seen him there yet. From glimpses on his midfield, I think he's strong physically and shields ball well, an eye for a pass and decent cross; also witnessed a charging run he made with group of opposition players in his wake. He's got potential IMO.

Edited by GunnerBairn

1 hour ago, falkirkbairn23 said:

f**k me, Jaime Wilson. 

Shows how far we have come in 2 years. Hard worker, but truly incredible he was given a two year deal

Actually felt a bit sorry for that lad.

Tried like a bear but had next to no footballing ability.

It was almost cruel putting him on the pitch.

32 minutes ago, GunnerBairn said:

Adding to the Shanley debate. I think he's a good squad option for now and good to come off the bench. In all honesty, I haven't seen enough of him to judge what his overall game is like, has he even completed a full 90 for us yet? Remember Mackie's situation the past couple of seasons and he barely got a kick of the ball, but now look and what a difference; and his patience paid off. I'd like to think Shanley will bide his time like Mackie did and his opportunity will come.

Edited to add: good point above re: McKenna. Haven't seen enough of the lad on the pitch and he needs more minutes on the pitch like Shanley. In a similar way, I can't comment on what McKenna's like up front as haven't seen him there yet. From glimpses on his midfield, I think he's strong physically and shields ball well, an eye for a pass and decent cross; also witnessed a charging run he made with group of opposition players in his wake. He's got potential IMO.

With regards McKenna he is a very experienced player who has been over the course and distance many times.

It’s not a question of potential rather it’s getting him to replicate his previous form when he gets his chance with us.

1 hour ago, roman_bairn said:

Is it just me, or is just about everyone crying out for a striker on here forgetting we just signed the Championship leading goalscorer the season prior and he is available to stand in if MacIver got injured? And he’s not the only one in the squad who can fill the position either…….

Agreed. More concerned about centre half cover.

13 hours ago, Harry Kinnear said:

Do you know the words, even though I’m at the opposite end of the KM7 I try to join in as much as I can 

Can’t start a fire

Can’t start a fire without a spark

Brad Spencer’s on fire

He’ll play Dunfermline off the park

Pretty sure that’s how it goes. Heard a few of the young laddies singing it at one of the LC games but not sure it’s really caught on. Hopefully it does though. As a few have already mentioned, Brad certainly deserves a chant.

1 hour ago, Super Simon said:

Whilst that may be the case, it does not unfortunately compensate for the fact that he is probably not good enough for this level. He's certainly a trier, and has been unlucky on occasion not to have scored another two or three goals, but bluntly I've seen precious little to date to suggest that he has much of anything to offer. Fine for bringing off the bench on 70/75 minutes against a tiring, part-time League One side when the game has long since been put to bed but I would not like to be relying on him in the Championship. If MacIver is injured/suspended/loses form, we are in trouble. We absolutely could be doing with another valid striker option, though sincerely doubt we'll be getting one, so therefore need to hope that MacIver maintains form and fitness as alternative options are incredibly limited.

It's a squad game and the team seem to be buying into that.

Some of our players could be starters elsewhere but perhaps know they are subs with a point to prove weekly, though I think a few of our players are better subs to improve us and McGlynn does too.

Ross probably won't start on Saturday if everyone is fit, he is a superb impact sub with his pace to stretch a game.

Shanley does similar in stretching play with pace but if McIver is out we would have Oliver starting in his role 99% of the time, I'm not convinced McGlynn would use Agyeman there as I don't think he's started there for us....that can change though 

Kucheriavyi available for loan again, zero idea if you actually need him or if you've evolved past him, but thought it was worth mentioning on here.

7 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Kucheriavyi available for loan again, zero idea if you actually need him or if you've evolved past him, but thought it was worth mentioning on here.

Cant see it. Well covered at the base of midfield and Spencer/Tait are better players. 

10 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

He'd walk into any other midfield in the league but not ours in my opinion. Comfortably our strongest area.

8 hours ago, Reggie Perrin said:

Actually felt a bit sorry for that lad.

Tried like a bear but had next to no footballing ability.

It was almost cruel putting him on the pitch.

Have always cut a bit of slack to a trier and Wilson tried, how he tried. There was nothing wrong with his attitude, he got as chance at a higher level so of course he took the chance.

Wish him well and I think left with most fans best wishes