The Falkirk FC Thread

24 minutes ago, AJ1981 said:

the majority of the funding is from the SFA dude

It's the UK govts levelling up fund providing most of the funding via the sfa grassroots pitch and facilities fund. 

I'd have thought questions would be asked if that was used to help build a pro clubs fourth stand but who knows what the score is.

Edited by Shodwall cat

12 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

It's the UK govts levelling up fund providing most of the funding via the sfa grassroots pitch and facilities fund. 

I'd have thought questions would be asked if that was used to help build a pro clubs fourth stand but who knows what the score is.

it funded the new pitch and the floodlights last year so a stand with community benefit and ffc benefit would be high on the list, so what the foundations Ce said on falkirk daft looks unlikely and just a little too convenient to me given @LatapyBairn. info i wasn't;t aware of  

When McCall went to Tannadice in 2003 I remember him taking huge numbers of our players of our players with him, having previously brought all his mates from Airdrie to Falkirk.  

That would be as big a concern to me as losing the manager. I think another good manager would do well with this squad (and we would be an attractive job opening to budding managers) but the big worry is he comes in and raids our squad in January. 

3 minutes ago, AJ1981 said:

it funded the new pitch and the floodlights last year so a stand with community benefit and ffc benefit would be high on the list, so what the foundations Ce said on falkirk daft looks unlikely and just a little too convenient to me given @LatapyBairn. info i wasn't;t aware of  

The point remains though that the funding is available for the foundation base, not for a fourth stand. With the best will in the world, you are not going to get a charitable grant to fund a stand for a professional football club.

It might have been possible to have a joint project where the foundation funding pays for the community aspect and a third party pays for the rest of a stand, but that funding isn’t available so I’m not sure what else the foundation could’ve done.

13 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

The point remains though that the funding is available for the foundation base, not for a fourth stand. With the best will in the world, you are not going to get a charitable grant to fund a stand for a professional football club.

It might have been possible to have a joint project where the foundation funding pays for the community aspect and a third party pays for the rest of a stand, but that funding isn’t available so I’m not sure what else the foundation could’ve done.

the club got grants for the pitch and the floodlights why not a new stand that could be multi purposed and have community use. this happens all the time up and down the pyramid. judging by the posts elsewhere the reason the foundation has funding is they acted alone and didn't consult with the club. classy, surely you're no defending that.

none of this surprises me when the CE said one thing then days later denied it, all while flying about Europe on useless trips and not properly funding the football programmes. 

Edited by AJ1981

I hope Martindale gets the St Johnstone job.

I think that would be the single biggest thing (out-with our own control) to help our cause in trying to get promotion this season.

I think Livingston are our biggest threat this season. That being said I wouldn't be disappointed if Brown got the job either. Anything that causes upset at either of these two clubs can't be a bad thing.

51 minutes ago, JS_FFC said:

When McCall went to Tannadice in 2003 I remember him taking huge numbers of our players of our players with him, having previously brought all his mates from Airdrie to Falkirk.  

That would be as big a concern to me as losing the manager. I think another good manager would do well with this squad (and we would be an attractive job opening to budding managers) but the big worry is he comes in and raids our squad in January. 

Not only could they not afford Mcglynn they would have to pay a fee for every player so that is not happening 

1 hour ago, AJ1981 said:

cards on the table I do have a gripe with the foundation back when i took my kids out because the CE openly said in a meeting that charity work was a priority, the kids football wasn't, then denied it to my face the next time I saw him. the board were as bad and all this was going on when the CE was flying off on a pointless junket to Spain or Portugal can't remember, and before that Turkey I think. I have friends around the woman's team and they're starved of cash as well and have to beg for every penny, strips etc as well as pay out of their own pockets.

I just don't trust them. the Falkirk daft episode was clear they see themselves separate from the club and they will do their own thing, all while feeding off the clubs goodwill and support. 

if what you're saying @LatapyBairn. is true then questions need to be asked. 

Some very interesting points being raised in this debate. This post is perhaps the most pertinent one. 

I also heard from someone who was at the meeting that the Foundation high heidyins said football was no longer their main priority when they were talking to their staff and volunteers. Though as I wasn't there personally I can't vouch for whether that's accurate or not. 

As for the womens team, I don't know who you are but I know a great deal about them. Given that I've been involved every Sunday for longer than any player, coach, or current Foundation employee. 

The players used to pay monthly fees to pay for things like pitch hire, refs, clothing, etc. One of the Foundation employees who was in charge of the womens side decided to cut those fees. Because if you don't charge players to play, you have a better chance of attracting decent ones. The problem was that decision meant the team were spending more than they were bringing in. So they were running at a loss. 

Some cost-saving measures were implemented, such as the goalie coach and physio being told that they wouldn't be paid so they left. But there was still a deficit. After a series of meetings it was sorted last summer by the coaches giving up their salaries, the players agreeing to play on the community pitch where there would be no fees and giving up any clothing allowance. They get a home strip from the Foundation and that's about it. Everything else has to be paid for by the team through fundraising and by sponsorship which the coaches have brought in. 

And yes, everyone who's involved does pay out their own pockets. Any time we have a team bus everyone who travels on it pays enough to cover the cost of the hire, myself included. 

There's nothing wrong with that. It's a model which is probably used by loads of amateur teams. 

But it could be so much better if the women could somehow be brought under the umbrella of Falkirk FC. Even a tiny percentage of FFC's turnover could transform the womens team. I wonder how the girls would feel if they weren't training in kit that's 4 years old and has been worn by a dozen players before they got it?  

45 minutes ago, Higgenarse said:

Not only could they not afford Mcglynn they would have to pay a fee for every player so that is not happening 

I'm sure they could afford him easily enough. Their new American owner won't be short of cash and his two year contract won't exactly be on big money. Players are a different story as the vast majority are under contract and of course the window has shut.  I'm a bit concerned I must admit having spoken to a few folk  I'm just hoping that he doesn't get asked .

3 hours ago, LatapyBairn. said:

I think the fact the club weren’t even consulted and found out about the full thing via a third party 

Derek Allison told us on the Falkirk Daft podcast that he and Jamie Swinney meet every Monday. So it seems inconceivable that FFC weren't aware of what the Foundation were doing. 

Can you clarify? 

5 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

Derek Allison told us on the Falkirk Daft podcast that he and Jamie Swinney meet every Monday. So it seems inconceivable that FFC weren't aware of what the Foundation were doing. 

Can you clarify? 

Having met with Derek Allison when I worked in the third sector I got the impression he was the sort of character who would tell whoever he was meeting with whatever he thought that they wanted to hear irrespective of his true intentions.

10 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

Can you clarify? 

The club weren’t aware the foundation had applied for planning to build the new facility in question, they were informed by a fan working for the contractor who was tasked to draw up said plans and price the ground works. Only when the club confronted the foundation with this information were the plans revealed and discussed but obviously by that time it was already well down the line. I can only presume it must have slipped Derek Alison’s mind when having his weekly meetings with Jamie Swinney.

Edited by LatapyBairn.

Just now, Bigbrbairn said:

Celtic trying hard to get their game over early tonight so they can rest some players for the big game on Sunday !!

Let’s hope they’re as wasteful as this on Sunday. Otherwise…….

6 minutes ago, Raybowski89 said:

Watching the Celtic match. If we play out from the back on Sunday, we'll be in big trouble. Defo going to need to go long.

That is 100% the worst thing to do IMO. Giving away cheap posession, like Sevco always do against them, just invites pressure and tires people out trying to continually close down attackers. When we get the ball we have to keep hold of it and trust our fluidity to do that.