The Falkirk FC Thread

25 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

For the next 8 weeks, we are to all intents and purposes, strikerless. We are one rung above a beggars can't be choosers scenario

No we are not striker less. Oliver and Shanley are capable of playing there and for me we should get fully behind them. We were short of CH’s at the start of the season. I didn’t read many comments like this then 

8 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Get that everyone is looking for a CF. However don’t think theres anyone that thought going with who we had, was going to be enough. The loss of MacIver until what looks like the new year is massive. Appreciate that finances are tight, but if what’s being muted that we’ve lost out due to wages, would be so disappointing considering the momentum and form the squad has continued throughout the past fourteen months. 

Where has it been said we’ve lost out on anyone due to wages? I’ve only read / heard we’ve not found anybody available McGlynn deems of the correct quality, unless you have some “in the know” information unavailable to the rest of us? 

Edited by LatapyBairn.

30 minutes ago, BPM said:

Raith, Dunfermline, Airdrie and us are all looking for a CF. Where is Scotland are we going to get someone? 

The right quality should’ve been brought in at the beginning of the season when we weren’t restricted to just Scotland. David Blunkett could’ve seen Shanley wasn’t a suitable backup.

Maybe better you don’t sign anybody, didn’t work out too well the last time McGlynn was desperately trying to sign a striker with a transfer window closure rapidly approaching.

9 minutes ago, BPM said:

No we are not striker less. Oliver and Shanley are capable of playing there and for me we should get fully behind them. We were short of CH’s at the start of the season. I didn’t read many comments like this then 

McGlynn played an attacking midfielder up front instead of Shanley at the weekend which isn’t exactly the biggest vote of confidence, and Oliver can fill in there but we all know he’s not a lone striker. I understand and appreciate you’ll raise the issue of quality, but there’s been loads of us banging on about the need for another striker since the season began. This isn’t breaking news. It’s just come to a head because Ross is now injured. 

Edited by 18BAIRN76

30 minutes ago, JS_FFC said:

Can we still sign free agents after the loan window closes?

Yes, not sure how many are still floating about still unattached to a club however. Seen Cilian Sheridan or Gabby McGill mentioned but I’ve no idea what they’re respective situations are or even if they are currently fit to play. 

Edited by LatapyBairn.

12 minutes ago, BPM said:

I'm pretty sure all of us including McGlynn would prefer Oliver to be competing with Nesbitt for his role, and we have been given a fairly decisive verdict on Shanley by McGlynn himself at the weekend. 

If we weren't strikerless (to all intents and purposes as I said), how come we didn't have a striker on the park on Saturday? 

19 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Get that everyone is looking for a CF. However don’t think theres anyone that thought going with who we had, was going to be enough. The loss of MacIver until what looks like the new year is massive. Appreciate that finances are tight, but if what’s being muted that we’ve lost out due to wages, would be so disappointing considering the momentum and form the squad has continued throughout the past fourteen months. 

Eight weeks isn't into the NY.

24 minutes ago, Springfield said:

8 weeks is the end of November, and we haven’t lost out due to wages, it’s been made clear it’s finding quality. 

13 minutes ago, LatapyBairn. said:

Yes, not sure how many are still floating about still unattached to a club however. Seen Cilian Sheridan or Gabby McGill mentioned but I’ve no idea what they’re respective situations are or even if they are currently fit to play. 

McGlynn said at the weekend he won't be bringing in a free agent.

Yes Saturday highlighted the fact that even mcglynn doesn't really see shanley or oliver as the answer with McKenna starting instead despite looking like a fish out of water.  Could be a long 8 weeks if the next few hours prove fruitless unfortunately.

None of our current options are suitable. Oliver is fine but not in MacIvers position. Shanley done a lot better than McKenna but the 2 of them are not suitable replacements. 

There probably isn't any quality available so late in the day but we've known for weeks this was going to be an issue at some point. Could really hamper our season 

14 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

Eight weeks isn't into the NY.

The injury if I’ve correctly understood is an eight week recovery. Simply added on a few weeks for fitness preparation etc. Like all if it’s eight for the full monty to full fitness, that would be great. 

36 minutes ago, LatapyBairn. said:

Where has it been said we’ve lost out on anyone due to wages? I’ve only read / heard we’ve not found anybody available McGlynn deems of the correct quality, unless you have some “in the know” information unavailable to the rest of us? 

McGlynn was interviewed earlier in season and made reference to the point I’ve made. Cant be arsed tonight I’m sure if you look back his interviews you will find. 

29 minutes ago, Springfield said:

McGlynn was interviewed earlier in season and made reference to the point I’ve made. Cant be arsed tonight I’m sure if you look back his interviews you will find. 

Haven’t heard him saying we’ve missed out on a striker due to wages, nor have I read anything to that effect. Who is it you think we have missed out on due to finance exactly? Both Mcglynn and Jamie Swinney have only ever alluded to a lack of sufficient quality being available now we can only shop in the domestic loan market. 

Edited by LatapyBairn.

6 minutes ago, Springfield said:

The injury if I’ve correctly understood is an eight week recovery. Simply added on a few weeks for fitness preparation etc. Like all if it’s eight for the full monty to full fitness, that would be great. 

Mcglynn I believe said a maximum of or up to 8 weeks. So worst case scenario is McIver is back 7 weeks from now. 

Working myself up into a mid-range seethe about this now, but I can't decide if it's justified or not. 

I think it's the blinding obviousness of this possibility that is so vexing.

Edited by Ranaldo Bairn