The Falkirk FC Thread

1 minute ago, Chinatoon Bairn said:

I was one of those, the standard of player that he brought in in January compared to the standard of players brought in this summer is what filled me with confidence. That along with the post January turnaround.

Me too, based on the information we had and the players we'd seen come in January I don't think we were being insane to get behind Hartley and his new signings. It was clear quite early on though that the execution of the plan was absolutely horrendous and we quite rightly got on the managers back. Not sure what his issue is, aside from being an absolute w**k who's set the club back years.

I was one of those, the standard of player that he brought in in January compared to the standard of players brought in this summer is what filled me with confidence. That along with the post January turnaround.
me too, until I watched us in the pre season game at alloa and realised we'd not signed up the quality expected. pre season I predicted 7th.

The irony being that the vast majority on here were more supportive of him than any previous manager that I can remember. Never seen so many avatars with the managers face.
I wasn’t in that club but he didn’t get much negativity from me either.
I questioned the strategy early doors highlighting how it could come back to bite us big time, and whilst it could have worked, it was his failing to bring players to the club that were adequate standard, so to say that I think he is being a little arrogant here is an understatement...

We played absolutely class in the second part of last season, hence why so many were behind him. He made an absolute rip roaring c**t of it though and here we are.

51 minutes ago, Senor Bairn said:

We played absolutely class in the second part of last season, hence why so many were behind him. He made an absolute rip roaring c**t of it though and here we are.

I'll never buy that and obviously Hartley reciting the Dufc 6-1 game in fan meetings and season ticket sales always pointed to me that he got it fully right in one game, we played as well in one half v QoS week afore but we had our traditional crash and burn in the 2nd half.

I guess it's worth remembering that the reporter has likely not actually seen the players, he brought in, play. I guess from the outside it might look like he wasn't given much time but when you factor in the players, the attitude and the atmosphere he created around the club it paints a bigger picture. Mackinnon has given us 7 more points than I honestly expected at this point given the absolute car crash that was our squad post QOS. The fact that beating Partick this weekend would take us off the bottom is genuinely mind boggling. 

See folk that continuously try to bring up that they called this mess back in June, just gtf.

Most on here were buzzing for the season to start, considering how we kicked on from January onwards. After a brutal first half of the season, folk quite rightly got carried away for the new season.

Saying you called it back then doesn’t make you some sort of genius, it just makes you look an arse.

See folk that continuously try to bring up that they called this mess back in June, just gtf.
Most on here were buzzing for the season to start, considering how we kicked on from January onwards. After a brutal first half of the season, folk quite rightly got carried away for the new season.
Saying you called it back then doesn’t make you some sort of genius, it just makes you look an arse.

Nope, it just means a few of us recognised the risks and didn’t make an arse of themselves (insert smug emoji).
But my concern was more the strategy than the execution. I also thought Hartley did a decent job post December.
I highlighted concerns but was willing to back him. I certainly never foresaw that he could f**k up so badly but I did flag that if it went wrong it could set us back years. Much of it remains as there’s no plan to reinstate the Academy which was our bread and butter, for example.
Feels like you are just struggling to deal with the fact that you were blinkered to the risks involved with all the new signings.
Just deal with it as those of us that dared raise concerns at the time and in early season got lambasted for weeks and had to accept same.

26 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

Nope, it just means a few of us recognised the risks and didn’t make an arse of themselves (insert smug emoji).
But my concern was more the strategy than the execution. I also thought Hartley did a decent job post December.
I highlighted concerns but was willing to back him. I certainly never foresaw that he could f**k up so badly but I did flag that if it went wrong it could set us back years. Much of it remains as there’s no plan to reinstate the Academy which was our bread and butter, for example.
Feels like you are just struggling to deal with the fact that you were blinkered to the risks involved with all the new signings.
Just deal with it as those of us that dared raise concerns at the time and in early season got lambasted for weeks and had to accept same.

Make an arse of themselves? By doing what? Getting behind the management and team?

Everyone can easily admit it didn’t work out in the end. It’s been an absolute mess.

But that doesn’t change the fact that the management and team should get the full support at the start imo.

Make an arse of themselves? By doing what? Getting behind the management and team?
Everyone can easily admit it didn’t work out in the end. It’s been an absolute mess.
But that doesn’t change the fact that the management and team should get the full support at the start imo.

No one suggested otherwise. But surely it’s not wrong to challenge questionable strategic decisions either?
Also, It was you who raised the term ‘arse’ tbh....

I think after a poor season and the Tramp getting us better performances we were all praying for a new dawn. We did not know these players and all hoped it would be a team of stars. Yes it was risky we all knew that but in close season you can but dream. It has turned into a nightmare with most of them but a few may be getting there. Ie Harrison and Brough.

In January we will again hope that the new recruits are world beaters but we know in our hearts it is risky

18 minutes ago, Bigbrbairn said:

I think after a poor season and the Tramp getting us better performances we were all praying for a new dawn. We did not know these players and all hoped it would be a team of stars. Yes it was risky we all knew that but in close season you can but dream. It has turned into a nightmare with most of them but a few may be getting there. Ie Harrison and Brough.

In January we will again hope that the new recruits are world beaters but we know in our hearts it is risky

Excellent run by big Brough in the 2nd half on Saturday. Just a pity that he didn't play Robson in when he should have.

The summer signings and the reactions on here were all a bit of pantomime fun. It was a bold policy, and a massive break from the norm. I think everyone knew that there was a possibility that it might not work (where “not work” meant that we might fall short of being genuine title contenders).

What no-one expected was a signing policy that amassed a group of players who under Hartley, would have gone on to produce an all time low points tally for the first half of a season. Getting to January without a win was a genuine possibility, and getting there with less than five points was a probability. Even zero points was not too far fetched a prospect.

Hartley was NOT denied the opportunity to get a team to gel. He was ditched because what he had done along with superscout was nothing more or less than gross negligence. I always said he would try and create a different narrative, and it seems he is now having his first stab at revisionist history.

Edited by Duncan Freemason

2 hours ago, JinkyBairn said:

I'll be exactly the same after Ray gets us close to the play offs come the end of this season then goes and signs 15 players to begin our assault on the league next season. :)

3 hours ago, JinkyBairn said:

I dont think anyone is suggesting they called the mess in June, I for one and know plenty in the same boat would be judging Hartley this season and its a sad history he failed, Id have Hitler as manager if he provided success, so it wasnt an anti Hartley for me which some folk perhaps had.

I just will never see this amazing 2nd half of the season, the majority of us with three games to go were expecting us not to win another game leaving us with one win in the final quarter Brechin naturally whom we played three times, of course we were lucky in two of our last 3 friendlies and although we humped Dumbarton, the 5-2 scoreline flattered us.

The only thing I will credit Hartley with is our 6-1 game v Utd and that's it

Edited by MrDust