The Falkirk FC Thread

6 minutes ago, AGPar said:

To label the academy a partial failure because we have not sold a player for between £3 and 6m plus add-ons is absolute nonsense. On what possible basis did FFC or anyone associated with it expect to ever be in a position to sell a player for that amount? Where, and by whom, was this figure quoted? 

All of the players you have mentioned were deals done literally decades ago, they have absolutely no relevance to the academy structure you are talking about. The general "gold standard" sale for a club of our stature would be someone like James McCarthy. He went to Wigan Athletic for a reported up-front fee of about £1.2m and Hamilton then benefited from a significant sell-on clause when he joined Everton. Name the last player Partick, Killie, St Johnstone, Motherwell sold for "multi-millions"?

Over the past decade we've raked in a significant seven figure sum in transfer fees and sell-on clauses which should have given us a solid platform on which to build and preogress. Instead, we'll be a third tier club this time next week. It's certainly a hell of a failure on the part of many. Not the academy though.

100%

Absolute nonsense post.

4 hours ago, Hank von Hell said:

No not hurting mate, just sharing my observations . I've been to Greenock and it's a hell hole , I refuse to believe anyone can have a good day out there.

Gourock is nice though  

A weekend brings out the bigger picture than one day

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/12060267.court-hears-of-alleged-torture-victims-injuries-girls-head-was-like-a-football/

1 hour ago, Ecosse83 said:

Not convinced losing the academy is a big deal, when exactly did it last produce players worthy of getting in the first team or even on the fringes of the first team? 

The problem and poor managerial appointments (obviously in hindsight) and poor player recruitment (Captain obvious I know). 

If we had a good manager with the budget that Hartley had we would have a good team on the park. A properly scouted signing or 2 from English academies isn't a bad idea when we have a settled team already, signing a whole new team obviously isn't the way to do it though!

My personal opinion is that you have to have a manager that buys into bleeding these players, the stats back up Houston wasnt, which was probably a factor to why the board made a decision to scrap the academy, though they should have pointed out to our manager that it was part of his job description to bleed these players into the squad. We had an U19 Scotland right back in our reserve squad and we played Gasparoto at right back, thats the extremes Houston went to not play our youngsters

The players we sold all had mistakes in them and levels to go up to be the players they became, Houston was all about the quick fix with experience and I think only bled in three players to the squad that were sold in which two of them were more of a case of he had to play them in Biabi and Gallacher. All three excelled in the reserve team and not fully in the first team and lucky if they played 30 games between them whereas the likes of Sibbald, Kingsley, Arfield, Fulton, McGrandles etc all had nearly 100 or more games under their belt if not more and some like Wallace were first picks and stood out in the team.

Some of the duds Hartley signed were truly awful but some werent as bad as some of the signings McKinnon has made for me 

1 hour ago, Hank von Hell said:

Anyway , I realized a couple of years ago there are far more important things in life than football - it's just a game - so have a great day in Sunny Greenock & good luck to you.

That's the most sensible thing posted on P&B all week. 

Enjoy yer day mate. 

5 minutes ago, MrDust said:

Some of the duds Hartley signed were truly awful but some werent as bad as some of the signings McKinnon has made for me 

I’m honestly struggling to think of even one tbh.

My take on the Academy closing hasn't changed, in that the majority of people complaining about its closure are parents who can't tell their mates their laddie plays for Falkirk any more.

2 minutes ago, Hughsie said:

I’m honestly struggling to think of even one tbh.

The success rate of McKinnon is Burgoyne, Rudden and Dixon

McKinnon has signed three gems, so is up on Hartley but the rest are on par with some of the Hartley signings in that they need better players with them or just not good enough.

2 minutes ago, MrDust said:

McKinnon has signed three gems, so is up on Hartley but the rest are on par with some of the Hartley signings in that they need better players with them or just not good enough.

Dixon is anything but  a gem. For one, he's a Scotland international. So he's hardly unearthed a hidden wonder. But for the past 5-6 weeks he's been brutal.

5 minutes ago, MrDust said:

McKinnon’s signings have been poor, you won’t get me arguing there.

There’s still not one Hartley signing I’d have in the team ahead of what we have now though.

Just now, Hughsie said:

McKinnon’s signings have been poor, you won’t get me arguing there.

There’s still not one Hartley signing I’d have in the team ahead of what we have now though.

I agree with regards to this seasons signings, but I would take Nelson and Jakubiak up front over Jarvis, Rudden, Todorov and Lavery any day

21 minutes ago, Falkirkfan1985 said:

I agree with regards to this seasons signings, but I would take Nelson and Jakubiak up front over Jarvis, Rudden, Todorov and Lavery any day

I think a lot of folk forget that Hartley's first six months with us were successful. He f*cked it up big-time in the summer, but got everything before that correct.

21 minutes ago, Falkirkfan1985 said:

I was talking this season only but agree with you on that.

11 minutes ago, Steven Mill Out said:

Just seen some balloon on that Facebook page suggesting that we boycott purchasing season tickets if the current board members are still in place at the start of next season no matter the division. What's everyone's thoughts on that?

I would certainly be looking at there being significant regime change before I renew our season tickets.

Edited by Reggie Perrin

22 minutes ago, Steven Mill Out said:

Just seen some balloon on that Facebook page suggesting that we boycott purchasing season tickets if the current board members are still in place at the start of next season no matter the division. What's everyone's thoughts on that?

That’s what i’ll be doing.

49 minutes ago, Steven Mill Out said:

Me too. Away games only till Campbell/Laing at the very least are gone.

I take it you disagree with the general consensus? Why?