The Falkirk FC Thread

Barr was the first Falkirk player to get a Scotland cap in a looong time and Arfield (as far as I recall) was sold for a club record. (Both coming from the Academy too)

Probably why theyre in there.

Was it a Scotland cap tho ( yep I know it was) But....Burley manager and I imagine it will be his one and only.....Barr had one good first season for me and never even got near to that level again, closest he got to it was when it was announced he was signing for Hearts

Arfield I can see more tho, yep record transfer from Academy, first pick in the u21 Scotland (I know means nothing other than it may sway English clubs to spend more) and he was a real driving force in the great escape

One to put us in to Europe and the other being his first goal for the club against Dunfermline. Those guys deserve to be up there.

Scobbie scored the first......we didnt need the second..... :lol: .....

As I say perhaps I am being cynical about the modern day footballer, both players are great athletes and perhaps I also have skill and personallity in my way of thinking too

Barr had one good first season for me and never even got near to that level again

I think he had more than just one good season. I would say the first two he was excellent - the two 7th placed finishes, but yes, he did go downhill after that, as did the team as a whole. Arfield was the same, a great first 18 months/2 years, but went downhill in his final 2 seasons, although he was still a very good player.

I think he had more than just one good season. I would say the first two he was excellent - the two 7th placed finishes, but yes, he did go downhill after that, as did the team as a whole. Arfield was the same, a great first 18 months/2 years, but went downhill in his final 2 seasons, although he was still a very good player.

I agree, for me Barr went downhill when he started getting played at RB. I have always thought his best postion was as a CB.

I agree, for me Barr went downhill when he started getting played at RB. I have always thought his best postion was as a CB.

His best position was next to Kenny Milne or Gerry Aafjes. The two players that made him look good. ;)

You could also argue that pretty much everyone in the league is going to have a worse team next season, look at the number of players being released across the board.

We finished 12 points off 1st and 25th off 9th, there's no logical reason to believe that sort of scenario will reverse next season, sheer negativity for the sake of it and nothing more.

You could make that argument, but it isn't necessarily so, whereas in our case, it almost certainly is. There's still a fair chance that Flynn will depart (and maybe even Tam Scobbie). On top of the high earners we've unloaded, I cannot see anyone else in the first division apart from QotS who will face the kind of sudden quality drop that we are faced with. Yes, everyone is skint, but in our case, not only are we skint, we've been losing money hand over fist. Not only do we have to cut budgets to a level we can afford, we've then got to set aside a chunk of what we can afford towards settling our debts.

If you think this is simply "negativity for the sake of it", then you cannot be thinking long or hard enough about the realities of our current situation. We are a club who has squandered away the benefits of the last five years, and are to all intents and purposes, having to go back to square one.

Thought you guys were doing a "St Mirren" and stealing the few decent players we have left, any news?

Well, it's SP who will be making the decisions, and his track record doesn't make for great reading. Even if you have the type of player we need, there's little or no guarantee that SP would go for them. He's the kind of guy that when he needs a new pair of shoes (which he may well do), he'll go to the shops and come back with a hat and a pair of gloves. If he's learned from his past mistakes, it'll be a surprise to all of us. We can only hope.

Well, it's SP who will be making the decisions, and his track record doesn't make for great reading. Even if you have the type of player we need, there's little or no guarantee that SP would go for them. He's the kind of guy that when he needs a new pair of shoes (which he may well do), he'll go to the shops and come back with a hat and a pair of gloves. If he's learned from his past mistakes, it'll be a surprise to all of us. We can only hope.

You'll have seen our players, we've no Ronaldos.Maybe two prospects so couldn't really blame the guy, this time.

You could make that argument, but it isn't necessarily so, whereas in our case, it almost certainly is. There's still a fair chance that Flynn will depart (and maybe even Tam Scobbie). On top of the high earners we've unloaded, I cannot see anyone else in the first division apart from QotS who will face the kind of sudden quality drop that we are faced with. Yes, everyone is skint, but in our case, not only are we skint, we've been losing money hand over fist. Not only do we have to cut budgets to a level we can afford, we've then got to set aside a chunk of what we can afford towards settling our debts.

If you think this is simply "negativity for the sake of it", then you cannot be thinking long or hard enough about the realities of our current situation. We are a club who has squandered away the benefits of the last five years, and are to all intents and purposes, having to go back to square one.

Raith have released 15 players as well.

We may have unloaded the high earners but given the state of Scottish football I don't believe we'll see a massive drop in quality due to the numbers of players released around the country scrambling for the few contracts available. Many of our players simply didn't have the ability to match the wage packet.

As for the last paragraph, quit with the superiority complex. dry.gif

Raith have released 15 players as well.

We may have unloaded the high earners but given the state of Scottish football I don't believe we'll see a massive drop in quality due to the numbers of players released around the country scrambling for the few contracts available. Many of our players simply didn't have the ability to match the wage packet.

As for the last paragraph, quit with the superiority complex. dry.gif

We will in general terms, be watching players of a lower technical ability next term. We are one of the few clubs who will be losing a few players that will likely move higher up the food chain. Certainly Boaby, O'Brien & McLean are unlikely to move downwards, and the same will be the case should Scobbie, Stewart and Flynn quit the club. Despite the fact that SP couldn't make them perform as a team, they are players who individually won't be replaced with anyone as good at this stage of the process.

That might not be a problem provided SP can make them perform as a team. If he has less able players, and fails yet again to organize & motivate in the way he failed at the tail end of our last SPL season, and for the entirety of last season, then we'll be in serious bother by Christmas. It really is as simple as that.

No complex in the last paragraph btw. We are in decline. It can be stopped, but financially, the extent of our problems goes much further and deeper than having a manager who's scared of attacking football. The financial limitations we will be playing under in the season ahead are still being under-estimated by many supporters.

Edited by Guest

You are correct. That was absolute lunacy by Eddie May, as was pointed out at the time.

To be honest, it was that which made me lose all faith in his managerial ability, not that I had much to start with.

Certainly Boaby, O'Brien & McLean are unlikely to move downwards, and the same will be the case should Scobbie, Stewart and Flynn quit the club. Despite the fact that SP couldn't make them perform as a team, they are players who individually won't be replaced with anyone as good at this stage of the process.

Whilst the gist of your point is correct (i.e. that if Pressley couldn't produce better than the woeful standard of last season, with last season's squad, we will see worse again this time out) but you have for some reason inlcuded O'Brien in your list.

If they played me at centre midfield, that could only be an improvement on what that imposter brought to the table.

Whilst the gist of your point is correct (i.e. that if Pressley couldn't produce better than the woeful standard of last season, with last season's squad, we will see worse again this time out) but you have for some reason inlcuded O'Brien in your list.

If they played me at centre midfield, that could only be an improvement on what that imposter brought to the table.

I still reckon there was a player in there somewhere, and him sitting deep (and being totally ineffective in the role) was down to him doing exactly what he was told to do by SP as much as it was any limitations he has as a player. We all saw glimpses of him when he came into the play much later (playing behind a front one or two), where he could thread in great wee passes that no-one else in our team was capable of.

It's been said before, but if O'Brien is played in a role where he is making passes for the front men rather than collecting the ball from defenders and laying it off left or right, then he'd prove himself to be a much better player than the one we saw in the navy blue. I still reckon he'll get one last decent contract at a bigger club.....but maybe not in Scotland.

I still reckon there was a player in there somewhere, and him sitting deep (and being totally ineffective in the role) was down to him doing exactly what he was told to do by SP as much as it was any limitations he has as a player. We all saw glimpses of him when he came into the play much later (playing behind a front one or two), where he could thread in great wee passes that no-one else in our team was capable of.

It's been said before, but if O'Brien is played in a role where he is making passes for the front men rather than collecting the ball from defenders and laying it off left or right, then he'd prove himself to be a much better player than the one we saw in the navy blue. I still reckon he'll get one last decent contract at a bigger club.....but maybe not in Scotland.

He played in a more advanced role under Hughes, and was absolutely woeful also. I think the decision to play him further back was a well intentioned, but ultimately futile, attempt to reduce his ability to hide, which he did expertly when in the opposition's half.

There is no midfield role in which he isn't dire beyond belief. You and I had the "is there a player there" debate 2 seasons ago, when he apparently played well in a pre-season game against guys on a training stroll about. You said you expected a big season from him - I said he was shite, and we'd see nothing from him.

2 summers later, we have had, being generous, maybe 6 decent games from him out of 70 plus?

He will go down in history as worse than Derek Ferguson for value for money I feel. I'm going to be interested to see if any mugs will take him on in the SPL, or even Division One.

You might be right - he could sneak into a club in England, whose manager hasn't seen him play in the last 3 seasons.

He played in a more advanced role under Hughes, and was absolutely woeful also. I think the decision to play him further back was a well intentioned, but ultimately futile, attempt to reduce his ability to hide, which he did expertly when in the opposition's half.

There is no midfield role in which he isn't dire beyond belief. You and I had the "is there a player there" debate 2 seasons ago, when he apparently played well in a pre-season game against guys on a training stroll about. You said you expected a big season from him - I said he was shite, and we'd see nothing from him.

2 summers later, we have had, being generous, maybe 6 decent games from him out of 70 plus?

He will go down in history as worse than Derek Ferguson for value for money I feel. I'm going to be interested to see if any mugs will take him on in the SPL, or even Division One.

You might be right - he could sneak into a club in England, whose manager hasn't seen him play in the last 3 seasons.

It's interesting to note that, Kinglsey, Fulton & McLeish aside who played only bit-part roles, O'Brien was the only outfield player we played who didn't score last season. (I'm sure I'm right in that although could be proved wrong). For me, as captain he should have been taking the penalties especially after Millar's first one or two were less than convincing.

I think Duncan's right. There is a player in there but he seems to do all he can to hide it. I don't think the guy's got any confidence in his own ability or just in general for that matter. Did you happen to see the way he was holding his hands when making a presentation at the awards dinner? He looked absolutely petrified!

It's interesting to note that, Kinglsey, Fulton & McLeish aside who played only bit-part roles, O'Brien was the only outfield player we played who didn't score last season. (I'm sure I'm right in that although could be proved wrong). For me, as captain he should have been taking the penalties especially after Millar's first one or two were less than convincing.

I think Duncan's right. There is a player in there but he seems to do all he can to hide it. I don't think the guy's got any confidence in his own ability or just in general for that matter. Did you happen to see the way he was holding his hands when making a presentation at the awards dinner? He looked absolutely petrified!

Agree on your first point. His scoring record is absolutely scandalous, considering for a fair part of his Falkirk career he played on the left side of midfield. There are full backs who would be disgusted with his goalscoring record.

Never seen him, or even heard him speak. If what you are saying is true, the decision to make him captain becomes all the more baffling. Can't imagine him inspiring, or giving anyone a kick up the arse.

I can't believe the slagging Darren Barr's getting. Some of you will be older than me but he's without question the best defender the club have had in my time.

Kiddy likes to slag Darren Barr and pretty much every young player we've had. I seem to remember him saying that Darryl Duffy was also shite, because all he did was run fast and score goals.

You are correct. That was absolute lunacy by Eddie May, as was pointed out at the time.

To be honest, it was that which made me lose all faith in his managerial ability, not that I had much to start with.

too true,and barr tried his best at right back but caught out too often re positioning etc,showed how senseless and stubborn may could be