The Falkirk FC Thread

3 minutes ago, Bairney The Dinosaur said:

Nah I'm not having this take either. 

Being up there and linking play well but not scoring or even really getting on the end of any chances (as was the case when he first came in as the lone striker) is not good enough. The difference over the last few weeks, admittedly probably because he was given the time by McGlynn, is that he has started to find these chances and continues to link play well. He has become that 'complete' striker that we need.

Now he's doing both, it's amazing! but before he found his goalscoring feet, I still think he was contributing a lot.

3 minutes ago, Chinatoon Bairn said:

Today is the day we hear about the re-arranged date for the Pars game, can feel it deep down

Remember every c**t needs to claim a refund at that point from the first game. 

13 hours ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

Oliver has been better of late but Burrell is a better finisher. Goals per minute stats are way better and unless we play another striker along with Oliver he'll continue to be judged on that. Up front v Alloa we had no wingers and Burrell had  basically no service.

McGlynns signings have been good though Sean Mackie the worst for me. 

Aye, Burrell is a better finisher IMO, however, he's only scored 4 when starting games out of a total of 9 (I think). Two of those were in the same game v QotS, one was against Wick and the other in the Challenge Cup v Partick.

The facts are that he's far better coming off the bench when defences are tired and Oliver's better starting because he can hold the ball up well, bringing Morrison, Kennedy, Nesbitt etc into the game.

I'd love to see Burrell starting games, running the legs off centre halves and scoring loads but the evidence points to that not being the case. We've hit upon a formula that's doing well and I think we'd be best to leave it alone.

I agree we shouldn't rush to change things but I'd like to see how Burrell would do in a straight swap for Oliver.  He hasn't had a chance to play that role with the support of Morrison/Kennedy etc or since Henderson came into midfield.  Too much changed in the Alloa game where we had no wingers.  

40 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

Aye, Burrell is a better finisher IMO, however, he's only scored 4 when starting games out of a total of 9 (I think). Two of those were in the same game v QotS, one was against Wick and the other in the Challenge Cup v Partick.

The facts are that he's far better coming off the bench when defences are tired and Oliver's better starting because he can hold the ball up well, bringing Morrison, Kennedy, Nesbitt etc into the game.

I'd love to see Burrell starting games, running the legs off centre halves and scoring loads but the evidence points to that not being the case. We've hit upon a formula that's doing well and I think we'd be best to leave it alone.

It is clear to me MCGlynn looks on Burrell as an impact player now. 

1 minute ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

I agree we shouldn't rush to change things but I'd like to see how Burrell would do in a straight swap for Oliver.  He hasn't had a chance to play that role with the support of Morrison/Kennedy etc or since Henderson came into midfield.  Too much changed in the Alloa game where we had no wingers.  

He can’t hold the ball up to play that role. IMO he would do well away from home when the other team is pressing (EEP) failing that we should stick to what is working now. 

Also worth remembering this is Burrell’s first full, uninterrupted run as a pro footballer at first team level. He’s not gonna be the finished article right away. I’m a big fan and I’d be offering him a new contract now - he’ll be an asset whether we’re in the Championship or League One imo - but just because he’s not as impactful starting games now and makes a bigger impression coming off the bench doesn’t mean he won’t get there in the future.

35 minutes ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

He's started as the lone striker more often than you'd think and it hasn't worked. 

5 hours ago, AuAl said:

Yeh, been full time since the 2017/2018 season where we won L1. Was a big part of us actually getting our shit together.

Do the police still hassle the away support.

Last time I was there they were near lifting folk for standing on the cracks in the pavement. Mate of mine was held in the van for the game and let out at full time. Spoilt the day out for a lot of folk.

15 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Do the police still hassle the away support.

Last time I was there they were near lifting folk for standing on the cracks in the pavement. Mate of mine was held in the van for the game and let out at full time. Spoilt the day out for a lot of folk.

No idea tbh. South Ayrshire police do tend to be absolute weapons.

That sounds like any time we've been at Dens or Tannadice. 

21 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

I'd rather we had a striker with a bit more of a goals threat but it's getting to the nitty gritty stage so experimenting isn't really a great option at the moment.

Gary Oliver has 9 goals for the season so far. In February. 

Last seasons top goalscorer was Morrison with 11. 

The season before it was Morrison with 10. 

The season before we had the prolific McManus on 24, but second top scorer was Sammon with 10. 

The season before that top scorer was Rudden with 12. 

The season before that, Longridge, Muirhead and Jakubiak were joint top with 7 each. 

The season before that Baird, Sibbald and Miller were joint top with 10 each. 

Outwith Declan McManus for one season, Gary Oliver's goal threat is on a par with ANYONE we've had in recent years. 

His ability to put the ball in the net gets underestimated at times. 

16 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

The season before we had the prolific McManus on 24, but second top scorer was Sammon with 10. 

The season before that, Longridge, Muirhead and Jakubiak were joint top with 7 each. 

Outwith Declan McManus for one season, Gary Oliver's goal threat is on a par with ANYONE we've had in recent years. 

3 goals in 18 league games for us last year compared to 2 goals in 5 league games so far this year.

He's been much better lately, getting into the right positions and scoring goals instead of just working hard for the team but I don't think anyones underestimated his goal threat. 

Definitely deserves his place in the team after his run of form and hopefully he continues adding more to his tally.

43 minutes ago, Rizzo said:

Loving the footage of Henderson at the end of the story of the matchday video.

Loving these videos along with big Hendo, he's some boi.

Yes emotions running high, but great to see the players over at the fans at full time. Maybe premature but for once in a bloody long time we’ve got some identity back. 

52 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

The problem is  in the majority of these seasons mentioned the lack of goals has been one of the main reasons we haven't got anywhere. If we had McManus this season we'd be a whole lot closer to Dunfermline than we are now. The season with him is not surprisingly the closest we've come to getting out of this league only to be scuppered by covid.Our striker goal rates have been very poor his season apart   and it's hindered us. You look at the sides that have won promotion of late and they've all had strikers with excellent scoring rates. Cove had megginson, Partick had Graham and queen's park had Murray .  9 in 33 games isn't prolific it's ok but there have been games this season when we've dropped points simply because we didn't have someone up top who could take advantage of the chances created.