The Falkirk FC Thread

10 hours ago, Caractacus Potts said:

Strangely an unpopular opinion but McGlynn out for me. 

Said I would judge on this game and although we were unlucky with the penalty decision, we’ve yet again proven ourselves to be powderpuff in the big games.

Have little confidence of him for the playoffs and zero for him to do anything in the Championship(should we get up).

He’s done ok but for a club like us in League One, we shouldn’t be short of options for managers who can do better.

This isn’t just on one game but a culmination of big games we’ve failed to turn up in. Losing the league has nothing to do with Dunfermline being amazing. 

This is a parody, right?

By no means am I happy to have lost yesterday, but it would just have been about money.

Part of me does think given what we seen after the Ayr game, not having the distraction of an unwinnable final might help us focus on what IMO is the more important job. 

Fully accept that might be clutching slightly.....

One thing I'm definitely pleased about is not having to be in the stadium stadium as the myriad of wretches that would be there on the 3rd of June. 

11 hours ago, Caractacus Potts said:

Strangely an unpopular opinion but McGlynn out for me. 

Said I would judge on this game and although we were unlucky with the penalty decision, we’ve yet again proven ourselves to be powderpuff in the big games.

Have little confidence of him for the playoffs and zero for him to do anything in the Championship(should we get up).

He’s done ok but for a club like us in League One, we shouldn’t be short of options for managers who can do better.

This isn’t just on one game but a culmination of big games we’ve failed to turn up in. Losing the league has nothing to do with Dunfermline being amazing. 

I agree with your comments however we must give McGlynn our full backing for play offs. Should we fail questions must be asked by the people up top, but believe the club will be happy to give him next season as it would be seen as an “improvement” to the shite we’ve endured for the past few seasons. The cup run has brought unexpected revenue to the club and gives McGlynn some additional credibility, and arguably the right to steer the club for the new season. As said we’ve continued to shite one on the big stage once again, and my confidence In winning the elusive second promotion spot isn’t that good. 

2 minutes ago, bairn88 said:

The police/steward search outside the ground was an absolute disgrace btw. In the small queue at 11:35ish and didn’t get in til almost 12. Bet none of their tactics yesterday will be adopted today. 

And once again, the pyro is in the ground anyway.....

Which I'm OK with btw as long as not thrown on the pitch, but what's the purpose of these performative searches holding folk up etc? 

Edited by Bairnardo

5 minutes ago, bairn88 said:

The police/steward search outside the ground was an absolute disgrace btw. In the small queue at 11:35ish and didn’t get in til almost 12. Bet none of their tactics yesterday will be adopted today. 

It's a complete waste of time anyway. They searched me and my pockets were full of stuff and he didn't even look to see what the items were anyway. Absolutely pointless 

5 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

And once again, the pyro is in the ground anyway.....

Which I'm OK with btw as long as not thrown on the pitch, but what's the purpose of these performative searches holding folk up etc? 

Someone in my queue got caught by the police sniffer dog as had drugs on them. The head steward confiscated the stash and let them in 😂. She was having a good night that’s for sure.

1 minute ago, bridge of allan bairn said:

It's a complete waste of time anyway. They searched me and my pockets were full of stuff and he didn't even look to see what the items were anyway. Absolutely pointless 

The entry to stadiums in today's world is totally draconian. 

Funnelled through the smallest entrances possible in most cases, stewards doing performative searches for minimum wage and digital scanners for paper tickets! 🤦‍♂️

I do think the queues are totally manufactured to drive people to the stadium earlier to mitigate the shortcomings mentioned above rather than tackle them.

Watched it yesterday , penalty was a penalty albeit a very fuckin harsh one , think it disrupted Caleys game plan as much as yours to start with imo

Marking at Caleys goals was poor but you guys did have those two glaring chances , score them and who knows ? But did feel Caley could've stepped up a gear if needed 

9 hours ago, Numbers_One_To_Eleven said:

Anyone else slightly relieved about todays outcome in hindsight (I expect pelters)?

No distraction for the play-offs (this is huge considering how fragile our confidence is after our recent run of form)

No gubbings from one of the arse cheeks

Which means avoiding a FOURTH Scottish Cup Final defeat in 26 years

A day at Hampden felt like a bonus after the run we got to get to the semi-finals 

The biggest disappointment is loss of revenue in some ways. As someone said, days at Hampden should not be taken for granted but given the circumstances with the play offs, I think a final on the back burner, given what’s coming up, would’ve been too much for our squad.

I wouldn’t use the word “relieved”, but I’m not losing any sleep over it either. Playing the other team off the park and losing to either a moment of magic (2009) or a defensive error (2015) hurt so much more than a 3-0 defeat.

I actually felt we matched up decently with Inverness yesterday. One team just took their chances and the other didn’t. That’s just football and fair fucks to Inverness on the day.

I hope, if we do end up going up through the playoffs, McGlynn takes from yesterday’s game that we need a couple of better ball players and most importantly a good penalty box striker who can get the ball in the net given half a chance, as Billy McKay does for Inverness. Without those sorts of players we could easily be in a relegation scrap to come straight back down.

Turning our attention to the playoffs, we need to now seriously consider the possibility that it could be Alloa in the semi final rather than Airdrie. Yesterday’s results have them level on points, albeit Alloa have a far worse goal difference, so Alloa need to better Airdrie’s result next week to finish third. 

Alloa are at home to Dunfermline, who haven’t played so well since they won the league. Airdrie go to Edinburgh who can be tricky customers. I still have Airdrie as favourites for third place but I give Alloa a 25%-30% chance of nicking it.

In terms of who will be coming in from the league above, it’s fascinating. The last day of the season is on Friday and you still have three clubs fighting for survival. Arbroath cannot be relegated directly (well barring a seven goal defeat), but may still drop into the playoffs. Hamilton are currently bottom and cannot be safe (barring a seven goal win), but will be hoping to get themselves into the playoffs. Cove Rangers can still finish anywhere from 8th-10th.

Arbroath 33 (-18 GD)

Cove 31 (-36 GD)

Hamilton 30 (-32 GD)

Arbroath v Hamilton

Cove v Morton

A point at home to Hamilton will clinch safety for Arbroath. If they lose to Hamilton, then they’ll drop into the playoffs if Cove beat Morton.

Cove need to match Hamilton’s result to avoid going straight down. If they beat Morton though, then they’re hoping for Hamilton to beat Arbroath, as they’d then be completely safe.

Hamilton must better Cove’s result to get into the playoffs. 

If I were a betting man I’d suggest the table will stay as it is. Hamilton Accies straight down and Cove to the playoffs to face Alloa, while we play Airdrie. 

Was struggling to get much in the way of enthusiasm up for the cup tie before yesterday if I'm honest. We would really have needed the planets to align in the same way they did in 2015 and to a lesser extent 1997 where we had a decent team against another fair to middling side. That was never going to happen this year when the winners of yesterdays tie would either come up against a Celtic team who are chasing a treble and have swatted every other domestic opposition aside with relative ease over the course of the season or a Rangers team that'll no doubt be desperate to salvage something from a dismal season. The money would certainly have been welcome but the match-day experience would have been horrible as it always is against either of the two arse-cheeks and it's not like not going would be an option. 

In terms of the game itself I don't think the overall result would have been any different even if the penalty hadn't been awarded. Our frailties of struggling to put the ball in the net, dodgy defending and playing a lone striker unsuited to the role have been ever-present since the Dunfermline game back in November aside from a decent performance against a dejected-looking Alloa last week. 

In saying that, talk of sacking McGlynn before the play-offs is mental. If we get through the play-offs then the season really has to be seen as a success and QP managed it from 4th position last season. We've taken 4 points from 6 in our last two games against Airdrie and Alloa so it makes no sense at this stage to be hugely fearful of our L1 opposition. I'd hate to try and predict what might happen in the play-offs but I'm going to attempt to be optimistic at this stage.

Guest Caractacus Potts
3 hours ago, Disco Duck said:

This is a parody, right?

Why must it be considered a parody? I gave him my backing as I did Rennie, Sheerin and M&M but lost my trust in them all, as I have done with McGlynn.

We’ve failed to turn up in so many big games and never looked like a solid team all season. The cup run papered over the cracks when we’ve never had an easier run to get to a final. The penalty yesterday was a joke but that was a completely abject performance. One of many this season. 

You don’t have to agree but it’s hardly an outlandish position to maintain. Did you ask the same of anyone who wanted M&M out with 4 games left?

Edited by Caractacus Potts

4 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

ICT better in both boxes. We made as many if not more chances than they did but didn’t take them and couldn’t keep them out at the other end.

The two goals have both come 40 yards, it is just not good enough defending. 

On the day I thought McGinn and Kennedy did well. 

Onto the plays off now. Glad we have one  game before them to get this out of the system 

Spot on.

The one thing we can all agree on is Matty Wright's been the worst signing of the season, looks like a competition winner. Can give a few a rest on Saturday but I hope we play two upfront to give our strikers a chance to find a bit of chemistry before the playoffs.

I don't see Alloa taking points off Dunfermline on Saturday but hopefully it's enough of a threat to make Airdrie play a full strength side.

I expect Hamilton to at least get a draw against Arbroath and Morton to win against Cove. That would leave Hamilton in the playoffs and Cove relegated.

For Peterhead

Kinnear
Williamson Donaldson Mckay Mccann
Yeats
Nesbitt Lawal McGuffie
Oliver Allan/Burrell

Best 11 for the playoffs

Kinnear
Rowe Donaldson Mckay Mccann
McGinn/Henderson
Morrison Max Kennedy
Oliver Burrell

Edited by FFC 1876

So it going to be coming up very soon. I presume we will rest players for the Peterhead Game?

Do we know the exact dates yet?

CINCH LEAGUE 1 PLAY-OFFS

Tuesday May 9 or Wednesday May 10
cinch League 1 play-off semi-finals, 1st leg
4th in League 2 v 9th in League 1
3rd in League 2 v 2nd in League 2

Saturday May 13
cinch League 1 play-off semi-finals, 2nd leg
9th in League 1 v 4th in League 2
2nd in League 2 v 3rd in League 2

Tuesday May 16
cinch League 1 play-off final, 1st leg
Lowest-ranked team at home in 1st leg
Live on BBC ALBA, kick-off 7.35pm

Friday May 19
cinch League 1 play-off final, 2nd leg
Highest-ranked team at home in 2nd leg

6 minutes ago, Kevin James Left Knee said:

So it going to be coming up very soon. I presume we will rest players for the Peterhead Game?

Do we know the exact dates yet?

CINCH LEAGUE 1 PLAY-OFFS

Tuesday May 9 or Wednesday May 10
cinch League 1 play-off semi-finals, 1st leg
4th in League 2 v 9th in League 1
3rd in League 2 v 2nd in League 2

Saturday May 13
cinch League 1 play-off semi-finals, 2nd leg
9th in League 1 v 4th in League 2
2nd in League 2 v 3rd in League 2

Tuesday May 16
cinch League 1 play-off final, 1st leg
Lowest-ranked team at home in 1st leg

Friday May 19
cinch League 1 play-off final, 2nd leg
Highest-ranked team at home in 2nd leg

We’re playing in championship playoffs……those are league 1

Post match interviews were interesting, McGinn seemed less than impressed with our defenders and rightly so. Just watched the highlights back, the 2nd and 3rd goals are so easily avoidable if the centre halves just take some responsibility. As has previously been mentioned, lower league Scottish football just needs defenders that can defend. The current partnership is too erratic