The Falkirk FC Thread

That was a carbon copy of last season. There is no pace about the team, with the exception of maybe Morrison or Agyeman. Morrison’s is pointless though as he runs down the left, then has to cut back for a cross with the right. Yeats, for all he tries, is never a right back. Can barely cross a ball. Thought we looked decent until Arbroath equalised, but really poor stuff and literally all the same issues we had only a few weeks/months ago.

Not overly impressed by that. I thought Spencer looked tidy enough first half and looks like he can pick a pass, should be an improvement on what we has last season. Agyeman started ok but second half looked one paced and decision making poor, hopefully he was just tiring. Lawal looked good when he came on and should be starting imo. Not sure about McIver, time will tell. One up front again...

I know it was only a friendly but that was very much a last season performance. Slow and ponderous out of defence and created very little going forward.

McGinn looks done, Morrison looks like he is going through the motions and wishes he was somewhere else. I thought MacIver and Agyeman were decent and Lang looks quality. McGlynn isn’t going to change and sadly I feel that could be his undoing.

Clearly the result is irrelevant but there were some worrying similarities to last season for me. Plenty of sideways passing but little goal threat and then the usual defensive error.

The squad is a bit of a hodgepodge as it stands for me- right back is the obvious gap but McGinn and Spencer are basically doing the same job at centre mid. We then have a good number of attacking midfielders and strikers but you struggle to see who is going to score goals.

Agyeman looked positive but lacked cutting edge and was nudged off the ball too easily. 

Edited by PedroMoutinho

Hard to disagree with much of the above. Very much of the same old.....sideways.....back...sideways...back....to the goalie.

Even after they scored, there looked to be absolutely no change to the style of play. Far to slow and ponderous. Defence looked shaky every time they attacked.

Early days , but unfortuately no real positives from today's match to suggest that we have changed much and what it takes to win the league.

Edited by Zbairn

I would hope that we'll change it about quite a bit on Tues . I presume miller is injured? Glad that's the friendlies over with now. Few weird results today which just shows you what can happen this early in the day.

Edited by Shodwall cat

4 minutes ago, Trump said:

We’ve not learned from the mistakes of last year.

I genuinely don’t know what people expected. McGlynn has been in the game nearly 20 years and fans of all the clubs he’s been at said he won’t change his style.

He’s clearly stubborn and won’t suddenly change to 2 up front just because the fans, quite rightly, are demanding it. The same as he may not sign a right back and continue to pair McGinn and Spencer despite their similarities.

Now I’m not saying for a minute we aren’t good enough to be promoted, far to early to tell, but we should not expect McGlynn to change his style - he won’t.

2 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

I genuinely don’t know what people expected. McGlynn has been in the game nearly 20 years and fans of all the clubs he’s been at said he won’t change his style.

He’s clearly stubborn and won’t suddenly change to 2 up front just because the fans, quite rightly, are demanding it. The same as he may not sign a right back and continue to pair McGinn and Spencer despite their similarities.

Now I’m not saying for a minute we aren’t good enough to be promoted, far to early to tell, but we should not expect McGlynn to change his style - he won’t.

And that's one of the reasons we won't go up under him. And might be a factor in him only winning two promotions one being handed to him due to covid. 

11 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

I would hope that we'll change it about quite a bit on Tues . I presume miller is injured? Glad that's the friendlies over with now. Few weird results today which just shows you what can happen this early in the day.

That was McGlynn’s idea of our strongest team Imo. Not really sure who else would come on to change it about quite a bit 

20 minutes ago, Newbornbairn said:

Lawal looked totally lost and confused as a deep lying holding midfielder sitting just between the central defenders.  He needs to be up front behind the strikers. 

The problem is the squad is disjointed in midfield Imo. You’ve got McGinn, Spencer and Henderson (Yates too but he’s our only option at right back) as defensive midfielders and then Lawal, Nesbitt and Oliver who are all probably best behind the striker. We have no real box to box options.

In agreement with most posts and won’t repeat that we’re still short in three key positions, just hope that there’s a couple of “better” players(loans)to come in. Far too early to start worrying but for me todays showing was just like watching the last quarter of shite from last season. Improvements ? My arse