The Falkirk FC Thread

17 minutes ago, Andy Dufresne said:

I am 54 and watched my last Falkirk game with my dad in Forth Valley Hospital just before he passed away in 2012,in 2020 just before the pandemic hit their was 4 generations at TFS my father in law,myself,my son(now 30) and my grandson.

When I said to my laddie that I was taking the grandson to the games he said,well dad you ruined my life taking me to Falkirk games you might as well ruin his lol 

Great memories of your dad. Always a smile and took us to a couple of away games. 

After a pretty boring first half there was actually a lot to be pleased about today:

3 points, 3 goals and a clean sheet

Correct team selection from the manager (forced or not)

All our summer signings are an improvement on last season

Finn Yeats at RB and in midfield

My personal highlight is that Pedro hasn’t been able to complain about Nesbitt’s contract extension for the 105 consecutive day 🙌🏻

Just now, JulioBairn said:

After a pretty boring first half there was actually a lot to be pleased about today:

3 points, 3 goals and a clean sheet

Correct team selection from the manager (forced or not)

All our summer signings are an improvement on last season

Finn Yeats at RB and in midfield

My personal highlight is that Pedro hasn’t been able to complain about Nesbitt’s contract extension for the 105 consecutive day 🙌🏻

No he is concentrating on the financial abyss we are staring into to cheer himself up🤣🤣🤣

A welcomed clean sheet today too for the first time in forever. MacIver gives us so much. He allows us to go a bit direct when needed and gives us that physical presence up front. Love Spencer, he’s just so good. Donaldson was clear man of the match today for me, although Lang and Yeats were worthy mentions too. Our support is second to none. It’s kept our club going and we’re a credit to ourselves. Let’s keep it going. 

3 hours ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

On the subject of shite midfielders, how refreshing is it to have someone that cannot only pass and tackle but actually run in Brad Spencer.

After some of the caravan towers we've had in recent seasons like Paton, Todd, G Miller, Alston (2nd spell), Gomis, Hetherington, McGinn etc it looks like we've finally got someone that has the legs to both protect the defense and be dangerous on the attack. Keeping him fit this season will be vital imo 

Paton Todd, Alston 2nd spell and Hetherington yep...

Very harsh on Gomis for me, class act. I'd have prince Bauben/bawbag in there. I'd have kept Gomis another year tbh, he was a stick out for Clyde for a reason against us....not the AGM board reason.

G miller did a job and maybe a year too long albeit he was needed when we signed charlatans, hopefully McGinn does similar job and steps up when needed. The league cup schedule and our injury list didn't help McGinn. I'm not suggesting he is aok to play a full season but he is very much there to put a marker on this season for us. 

7 hours ago, GeordieBairn said:

The amount of times the Annan players went down “anticipating contact” and the ref blew his whistle like a puppet merited him blowing for that stonewall penalty.

I thought it was a desperate signing and if he keeps up anywhere close to his current scoring record I will happily be very very embarrassed. 

13 minutes ago, bairn88 said:

Paul McGowan suspended for Cove next week. Not someone to fear anymore but another little break I hope continues to fall our way this season 

Is that the wee scumbag, bigot that’s been convicted of assault about 4 times ?

Anyone other than Hartley would be embarrassed about signing him.

10 hours ago, Duncan Freemason said:

The club have already stated that there will be a £400k hole in the Championship too. Nothing changes in that respect.

You realise we just won an opening game of the season 3-0! ……………incidentally that’s not what was said in full context at all. Don’t let the facts spoil a good story tho! 

Edited by LatapyBairn.

33 minutes ago, LatapyBairn. said:

That’s not what was said in context, at all. Don’t let the facts spoil a good story tho! 

‘To become sustainably successful we estimate that the club needs at least an extra £400,000 every year, over and above our ‘normal’ trading performance, while in League One or the Championship’

That is a direct quote from the last board update. 

We discussed the finances before given what was said and felt like you were playing down my concerns due to our different interpretations of what was said. 

I’ve just listened to the podcast now and Jamie confirms- we didn’t make a profit last year, the soft loans still need to be paid back and the £400k loss is only met with what’s left in the bank from the FSS loan IF we meet our stretched targets. He did say the budget has been cut but again to my estimations it can only be by around £100k when you compare the 2 squads. 

Whether we go up or not, we are looking at a bit of a perilous situation towards the end of this season and going in to next. If we don’t get a good Scottish cup draw or other windfall and if targets aren’t met then we could potentially run out of money by the sounds of things. I don’t think that’s overplaying too, from what has been said and from the podcast. We simply can’t afford to give McGlynn any more money and just hope we can bring in loans that won’t cost a penny. 

Good three points against a side who I thought played some decent stuff but clearly weak up front and who’s fitness dropped for the last fifteen or so. Not having a go but still think Alfie & Morrison should be swapped, albeit the latter cuts inside and scores a beaut of a goal. The display was at best decent but thought our two CBs looked confident and very few mistakes, apart from the usual couple of passes from Donaldson plated direct to opposition. McGinn not playing allowed Spencer much more space and thought he was really good. Henderson clearly not fully fit gave us the strength across the middle, and Miller who was blowing out his arse before half time looks a decent find. Special mention to Yeats who again was shuffled from RB into the midfield and his reading of the game was excellent. Still a bit raw but covers every blade of grass. GK was out quick to clear the ball in at least two occasions and tbh didn’t have that much to do. Pleasing 90 minutes, wouldn’t say we were outstanding but if we can gets out this “not lose anything in first 45” and more cavalier we’d be putting games like this to bed much earlier. Three points, no goals conceded and it’s a 6 out of ten. Big game next week and if we manifest the last thirty minutes of yesterday to the CR game we shouldn’t be far away. 

10 minutes ago, Van_damage said:

‘To become sustainably successful we estimate that the club needs at least an extra £400,000 every year, over and above our ‘normal’ trading performance, while in League One or the Championship’

That is a direct quote from the last board update. 

We discussed the finances before given what was said and felt like you were playing down my concerns due to our different interpretations of what was said. 

I’ve just listened to the podcast now and Jamie confirms- we didn’t make a profit last year, the soft loans still need to be paid back and the £400k loss is only met with what’s left in the bank from the FSS loan IF we meet our stretched targets. He did say the budget has been cut but again to my estimations it can only be by around £100k when you compare the 2 squads. 

Whether we go up or not, we are looking at a bit of a perilous situation towards the end of this season and going in to next. If we don’t get a good Scottish cup draw or other windfall and if targets aren’t met then we could potentially run out of money by the sounds of things. I don’t think that’s overplaying too, from what has been said and from the podcast. We simply can’t afford to give McGlynn any more money and just hope we can bring in loans that won’t cost a penny. 

Wow! At no point has anybody stated next season was covered. This season is and always has been and thank f**k Jamie clarified that before the lunatics turned up with pitch forks. Enjoy the win for f**k sake! 

48 minutes ago, LatapyBairn. said:

Wow! At no point has anybody stated next season was covered. This season is and always has been and thank f**k Jamie clarified that before the lunatics turned up with pitch forks. Enjoy the win for f**k sake! 

Said this previously but really don’t see the need to try to cut down myself or anyone for having concerns about the finances. Can we just stick to what has been said please and not try to paint anyone who disagrees with your point of view as a pitchfork yielding lunatic. 

Ofcourse it is great to win and hopefully that continues but to me, it’s a little harder to enjoy when we’re in danger of running out of money, not just next season but this season! 

Take a look back at our previous conversation. You were dismissive of me for questioning the finances. You said I was adding 2 + 2 and making 5. 

From the podcast, Jamie has spelled out that breaking even is predicated on reaching those stretched targets so that the money left in the bank can then cover the remaining deficit. That’s a big ask since we don’t have Dunfermline in our league this time round so can therefore expect a sizeable drop in gate receipts as a result of that. We also don’t have the Killers concerts but presume that cost will be removed from the increased commercial targets, as that can’t happen during this financial year. 

That means if things don’t go well then any money we have to spend on getting rid of McGlynn or bringing in a new manager will be over and above the budget, likewise with any player we need to contribute for, unless there is a some money left remaining in the playing budget but McGlynn suggested it had been used.

I’m not trying to put a downer on a win but this was a conversation that preceded that match and it’s not something that will just go away, regardless of how we are playing. 

Edited by Van_damage

6 minutes ago, Van_damage said:

That means if things don’t go well then any money we have to spend on getting rid of McGlynn or bringing in a new manager will be over and above the budget, likewise with any player we need to contribute for, unless there is a some money left remaining in the playing budget(although McGlynn suggested it had been used). 

Sweeny more or less confirming that we couldn’t afford to even sack McGlynn if things don’t work out. Would imagine that should be find ourselves in trouble McGlynn would be given garden leave with our current no2 taking charge. However being so optimistic this year, we won’t need to worry.

43 minutes ago, Van_damage said:

Said this previously but really don’t see the need to try to cut down myself or anyone for having concerns about the finances. Can we just stick to what has been said please and not try to paint anyone who disagrees with your point of view as a pitchfork yielding lunatic. 

Ofcourse it is great to win and hopefully that continues but to me, it’s a little harder to enjoy when we’re in danger of running out of money, not just next season but this season! 

Take a look back at our previous conversation. You were dismissive of me for questioning the finances. You said I was adding 2 + 2 and making 5. 

From the podcast, Jamie has spelled out that breaking even is predicated on reaching those stretched targets so that the money left in the bank can then cover the remaining deficit. That’s a big ask since we don’t have Dunfermline in our league this time round so can therefore expect a sizeable drop in gate receipts as a result of that. We also don’t have the Killers concerts but presume that cost will be removed from the increased commercial targets, as that can’t happen during this financial year. 

That means if things don’t go well then any money we have to spend on getting rid of McGlynn or bringing in a new manager will be over and above the budget, likewise with any player we need to contribute for, unless there is a some money left remaining in the playing budget but McGlynn suggested it had been used.

I’m not trying to put a downer on a win but this was a conversation that preceded that match and it’s not something that will just go away, regardless of how we are playing. 

The only person creating the phrase “stretched targets” is you! If you don’t think the club has enough money to see the season out then yes! You are indeed a pitch fork lunatic! Don’t know how clearer JW could have made it there. Let’s see how the club fairs between now and this time next year! No guarantees how the team will perform but there is more than enough information out there now to clarify how the business will be fine in the short term which I’m sure again will be clarified at the AGM! Let’s see what happens in a few months time. 

Edited by LatapyBairn.

From a second look on the highlights 

- Really brave header for the first goal. MacIvor could easily have been wiped out so fair play to him - great header.

- Their goalie is the worst I've ever seen at this level. Looked like when a defender takes over when there's a sending off

- Neither penalty claim was a penalty

- MacIvor's first half miss looked even worse. Even if he'd succeeded in cutting back on the left he'd never have got a shot away. Brutal.

- The pitch played really well even with the rain. Big difference from last season.