The Falkirk FC Thread

5 minutes ago, Harry Kinnear said:

1 min 38sec into Liam Henderson interview on Falkirk TV, Calvin Miller walks behind him and doesn’t look like he’s limping badly or anything like that so fingers crossed 🤞🏻

Aye, if they were really worried about it surely he would have the support of crutches ? 

We’ve looked pretty good so far this season. The new signings so far have been really positive and I’d argue every single one is an upgrade on what we’ve had. What a difference it makes having more attacking options than just Morrison, or a Morrison clone in Kai Kennedy. 

Defensively, Tom Lang’s presence and leadership seems to have made a huge impact. I really like him so far. It’s no coincidence that Coll’s performances have picked up and he also looks far more confident. We’ve got two very competent centre backs at the moment and it’s pleasing to see.

It is then a bit strange that despite looking way more robust defensively that we have started losing some absolutely calamitous goals. Not just your standard ‘could have done better with that cross’ sort of goal, but complete Sheerin/Rennie-esque f**k-ups. I fear it more against a team like Hamilton with such a strong defensive record where it would be enough to lose a game. 

7 hours ago, Bigbrbairn said:

Just watched Lawals goal on highlights.  Much better than i thought. Great bit of skill by him and young Walker.  Bodes well.

Long deserves some credit too for the quick throw to Walker. 

If I'm being critical of anything last night and the Stirling game then it's not putting some of the younger lads on earlier for some experience but I do get why it's the more senior players who go on first. I also feel that by making the number of subs we do and the players who are being replaced then the pace and intensity seems to drop, again that's understandable but just a bit frustrating. 

The addition of new players signed since the last season ended certainly making a huge difference. Frustrating that we lose another calamity goal, but in general we have players that can get wide and narrow very quickly. We’ve dropped the defensive pish tip/tap which has allowed us to distribute the ball much quicker, and giving teams the chance to play us much higher up the park like the majority of games last season. Spencer’s work on/off the ball is immense, Miller gives us that perfect balance which then allows us to press with thre/four players with pace. We have a CF who can multitask which we’ve lacked since dropping down. Also frustrating Yeats is getting the gig as RB, perhaps the FSS can get some release of funding for maybe a loan deal for some more experience in this slot, but can’t deny his fantastic attitude & really like the guy, but he’s not a RB. Good feeling leaving the game, and as previously posted feet on the ground. 

46 minutes ago, bridge of allan bairn said:

Really good result and performance last night at a place that has often been tricky.

It's already looking like the results against Hamilton are going to be massive this season.

Agree, but would add Queens who by all accounts have greatly improved from last season. The important factor for me is keeping guys like Lang/Spence/Miller without major injury. If we can nurse along and if we can maintain this level of consistency/form, we certainly won’t be far away. 

1 hour ago, Just a bairn said:

We’ve looked pretty good so far this season. The new signings so far have been really positive and I’d argue every single one is an upgrade on what we’ve had. What a difference it makes having more attacking options than just Morrison, or a Morrison clone in Kai Kennedy. 

Defensively, Tom Lang’s presence and leadership seems to have made a huge impact. I really like him so far. It’s no coincidence that Coll’s performances have picked up and he also looks far more confident. We’ve got two very competent centre backs at the moment and it’s pleasing to see.

It is then a bit strange that despite looking way more robust defensively that we have started losing some absolutely calamitous goals. Not just your standard ‘could have done better with that cross’ sort of goal, but complete Sheerin/Rennie-esque f**k-ups. I fear it more against a team like Hamilton with such a strong defensive record where it would be enough to lose a game. 

None of our starting back 4 have been involved though.Last week was simply brad Mackay who hopefully won't be seen in the navy blue again. This week lack of concentration at 3 up from long  perhaps certainly nothing to do with the four defenders so it's not really that strange. 

1 minute ago, Springfield said:

Agree, but would add Queens who by all accounts have greatly improved from last season. The important factor for me is keeping guys like Lang/Spence/Miller without major injury. If we can nurse along and if we can maintain this level of consistency/form, we certainly won’t be far away. 

Queen's managed to ship 4 to that alloa side. They've  then  come from a goal down to beat both Annan and Edinburgh city before beating cove which we should really have done comfortably last week.  Also heard it's not a happy dressing room at Palmerston. I'm not convinced they are a good deal better than last season.

3 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

Queen's managed to ship 4 to that alloa side. They've  then  come from a goal down to beat both Annan and Edinburgh city before beating cove which we should really have done comfortably last week.  Also heard it's not a happy dressing room at Palmerston. I'm not convinced they are a good deal better than last season.

Just passing on a queens friends comments, however if there’s issues in the dressing room, never a good thing.

2 hours ago, Just a bairn said:

I would argue that we haven’t started losing really bad goals, we simply haven’t stopped losing them.

Now, I doubt that it’s down to individual quality. For me, it’s down to discipline and organisation. We haven’t played a league game so far that hasn’t included some really awful lapses in defence……….in the cases of AA and SA, we got out of jail and didn’t concede. Not so against Cove and Alloa.

It’s cost us 2 points so far, but clearly, we can’t be allowing it to continue into the Hamilton and QotS games where you would expect those games to be much tighter.

We have only played one of the fancied sides so far, and we didn’t win. It’s in those games where conceding howlers could be really costly.

A dominating win at Alloa and deserved. Team looked hungry and handled everything Alloa could throw. Comfortable performance and our front four will go a long way to ensuring we’re fighting for the title. MacIver, Morrison, Alfie and Miller, I would argue are the strongest front four in our league and will take some beating; we’re scoring goals for fun at present 👏🏻 Our centrebacks have sorted themsleves with Lang alongside Donaldson, and need to keep all our key players injury and suspension free. The games vs the full time clubs will be crucial this season and need to ensure we stay unbeaten (as much as possible) against the part time clubs. We have great momentum just now and get the feeling something good is brewing with us. Special mention to the lad Walker for his first assist and Lawal’s goal, a thing of beauty with the shimmy and shot!  Steady as she goes Bairns 💪🏻⚽

38 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

... Also heard it's not a happy dressing room at Palmerston. I'm not convinced they are a good deal better than last season.

We've certainly got defensive issues to sort out and that Alloa game was full of comic book errors in a truly shambolic first half. But the defence has been improving (hampered by injuries) and by all accounts was fairly solid at Cove.

I'd say we're better in midfield and up front than last season (allowing for the loss of Paton's goals) and Bartley has clearly gone for youthful pace and energy in building his squad which is a refreshing change.

Trouble in the dressing room? News to me and I've not heard it mentioned. We've only lost once across our LC (including a draw with Motherwell and beating QP) and league games to date - that and and coming from behind to early setbacks doesn't seem to smack of unrest in the dressing room or a dis-functional squad to me.

That said, we're QOS and not exactly Barca ffs, but I think we'll challenge this season. Can we split Accies and the Bairns with their superior budgets? I'm not sure.

8 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

We've certainly got defensive issues to sort out and that Alloa game was full of comic book errors in a truly shambolic first half. But the defence has been improving (hampered by injuries) and by all accounts was fairly solid at Cove.

I'd say we're better in midfield and up front than last season (allowing for the loss of Paton's goals) and Bartley has clearly gone for youthful pace and energy in building his squad which is a refreshing change.

Trouble in the dressing room? News to me and I've not heard it mentioned. We've only lost once across our LC (including a draw with Motherwell and beating QP) and league games to date - that and and coming from behind to early setbacks doesn't seem to smack of unrest in the dressing room or a dis-functional squad to me.

That said, we're QOS and not exactly Barca ffs, but I think we'll challenge this season. Can we split Accies and the Bairns with their superior budgets? I'm not sure.

I'm not saying your not better because it would surely be hard not to be better.  It's whether youve improved greatly.  League cup we all know means very little when it comes to the bread and butter of the league.  The dressing room unrest I heard from a very reliable source who would have no reason to make it up.. As to budgets who knows. I do know that we looked at bringing in Ferguson but couldn't afford him so he's gone to you guys.

31 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

I would argue that we haven’t started losing really bad goals, we simply haven’t stopped losing them.

Now, I doubt that it’s down to individual quality. For me, it’s down to discipline and organisation. We haven’t played a league game so far that hasn’t included some really awful lapses in defence……….in the cases of AA and SA, we got out of jail and didn’t concede. Not so against Cove and Alloa.

It’s cost us 2 points so far, but clearly, we can’t be allowing it to continue into the Hamilton and QotS games where you would expect those games to be much tighter.

We have only played one of the fancied sides so far, and we didn’t win. It’s in those games where conceding howlers could be really costly.

I bet when your misses puts down a beautiful fillet steak you would moan it was rare not medium rare. 

14 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

I'd call Brad Mackay s feck up at cove most certainly individual quality.

3 hours ago, Mr Grimsdale said:

It was at 0-0 

Even the most gifted keepers in the game have the occasional mishap when coming out for a high ball. It happens. Young Long will learn from that. His shot stopping and distribution are excellent and he should get an assist assist for the last goal.

9 hours ago, ebobsboy said:

A deserved point at that and had it not been for  Brad McKay and their goal frame getting rattled a few times we would have won. 

You're a fragile wee bunch.

Eight red dots and counting for my daft little, light hearted quip.  I'd always thought Marshmallo was an inadequate wee twit, but he must have fitted in well.