The Falkirk FC Thread

1 hour ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

What I will say is it is encouraging that Dunfermline went up with a weaker squad than we have now, signed no one (apart from 3 guys they already had on loan + Alex Jakubiak), are in the middle of a massive injury crisis and yet are still doing fine. And Airdrie went up with a similar quality squad to what we had last season, looking at their team that beat Raith on Saturday and 90% is unchanged from those play-off matches against us *shudder* and are also doing fine. They also lost Callum Smith in the summer who was one of their better players IIRC

That was a lot of words for continuity but I wholeheartedly agree.

Part of our predicament came from short-termism (money for 1st team) masquerading as long-term planning by signing too many sub-standard players on deals they should never have had. 

The model we currently are reinstating- and started out with before previous boards run amok trying to take shortcuts - is costly but correct.

I've now said too much! 😳

Changing the subject but I felt sympathy for Edinburgh City when their issues hit a few weeks ago. However it is starting to sit uncomfortably with me now as they have signed yet another loan player today. At least half their “team” will now be Full Time loanees that EC will be paying buttons for I would bet. If they manage to stay up it would be wrong IMO.  They should have had a transfer embargo at least. 

Edited by Mr Grimsdale

1 hour ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

Now I like talking about hypotheticals as much as the next fan, but there's still a long way to go in this league before we can be sure we are in the Championship next season. 16 games or 48 points to be exact, given we'll only be 8 points ahead of Hamilton if they win their game in hand, there are still many things that could go wrong. Whilst I accept we have hardly been dropping any points and don't look like starting to, they could easily come to TFS in a few weeks, shitfest to epic proportions and steal a goal from a corner (the first home game against Dunfermline last season anyone?). That is more likely and that sort of shift in momentum could be huge.

We need to make sure we get the job done this season first and I'm sure McGlynn will be drilling this in to the team to keep our eyes firmly on the prize. 

Yup, agreed. Its only mid January, but please can some other folks calm the fcuk down. Yes, we've made it to the top of tier THREE, currently looking like - at long last - a great chance of getting out of tier THREE, and there's some on here talking about double promotions... Just reminds me of this 

download.jpg

4 hours ago, bridge of allan bairn said:

This.

How many years down in this league have we been saying attack is the best form of defence? We were subserviant to too many teams, when we really shouldn't have been, as you mention that East Fife game, there were many others. It obviously helps that we have the players to do so, but a lot of it is in the mindset that McGlynn has instilled. I love the fact that we are now going at teams from the first minute to the last (look at the way we set up from the kick off v Cove and QoS (two goals pretty much at the start of second half), the opposition are now so concerned about us they've all changed their tactics to the point they are sitting in and not even trying to win (Bartley chuffed with just a 1-0 loss as an example) or getting any shots on target at all.

The other mentality I really like which the players (Coll & McGinn?) mentioned recently is that we are playing to take risks and win games rather than play for draws, its draws that kills you in this league. I'd rather lose a couple but get more 3 points, overall in the season it means you end up with more points and your opponents less.

Aye you're spot on. The team are playing without fear and are built to attack. Coll hits 1-2 long shots per game these days, as he just always seems to have acres of space to run with the ball, and he's always looking to take it on. Similarly, we're seeing our fullbacks attempting long shots now also. They force saves and get us corners. 

Just another word on Coll - his transformation this season has been nothing short of remarkable. That display away at Hamilton in particular was a defensive masterclass, but what I love most about him is his willingness to bring the ball out of defence. He's a good footballer, no question.

1 hour ago, Andy Dufresne said:

Take it Allan will be pissed off at that.

You do feel for Jordan but it's undeniable that Shanley fits this system perfectly. I was very happy with his performance when he came on vs Cove. Good passing and hold-up play, and that's exactly what McGlynn wants. What I don't understand though is why he was signed in the first place? With MacIver out for a couple of weeks, he may well get his chance, but it'll be off the bench. Score a couple of goals Jordan and FORCE your way into the gaffer's plans!

2 minutes ago, Raybowski89 said:

Aye you're spot on. The team are playing without fear and are built to attack. Coll hits 1-2 long shots per game these days, as he just always seems to have acres of space to run with the ball, and he's always looking to take it on. Similarly, we're seeing our fullbacks attempting long shots now also. They force saves and get us corners. 

Just another word on Coll - his transformation this season has been nothing short of remarkable. That display away at Hamilton in particular was a defensive masterclass, but what I love most about him is his willingness to bring the ball out of defence. He's a good footballer, no question.

Yep. McGlynn has undoubtedly either learned a lot about, or simply managed to get players in able to implement, the style to break down what we face in this league and Coll is a big part of that. Spoke a bit about letting the ball do the work recently. What you notice is that we frequently pass the ball across the back line, but it's never pointless. It goes across, we probe down the side or through the middle. If there's nothing on, we go back across then we probe again. If the opposition fall back then Coll presses the whole team up onto them by stepping in to the space. 

The concentration and effort levels required to defend against that is enormous. We are forcing games to be played our way, at our pace and the majority just can't live with it. They have to make subs, they get frustrated, they give the ball away and eventually they fail to pick up their men in the box. 

@RandomGuy. apologies that you always get chinned for this, but is there any chance you could show me a wee chart for Brad Spencers season so far and if possible can you include his stats for tackles and interceptions. I was thinking today that I have been surprised by how often he wins possession back but wouldn't mind seeing it laid out to see if its true.

8 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Yep. McGlynn has undoubtedly either learned a lot about, or simply managed to get players in able to implement, the style to break down what we face in this league and Coll is a big part of that. Spoke a bit about letting the ball do the work recently. What you notice is that we frequently pass the ball across the back line, but it's never pointless. It goes across, we probe down the side or through the middle. If there's nothing on, we go back across then we probe again. If the opposition fall back then Coll presses the whole team up onto them by stepping in to the space. 

The concentration and effort levels required to defend against that is enormous. We are forcing games to be played our way, at our pace and the majority just can't live with it. They have to make subs, they get frustrated, they give the ball away and eventually they fail to pick up their men in the box. 

The team is just so well-balanced now, with everyone chipping in with goals. The old days of teams just doubling up on Morrison simply isn't viable anymore. Do that and Miller will annihilate them on the other flank. Over-focus on defending the flanks and Nissy's late runs won't get picked up. Drop everyone back into a low-block and you'll face long shots and probably concede from a corner. It feels like we have an answer for every defensive set-up we face now. McGlynn is a great manager. All he needed were the players capable of pulling off his gameplan.

Edited by Raybowski89

1 hour ago, Raybowski89 said:

Read a thread about "verticality" recently and McGlynn's recruitment chimed with that ethos. Players who's first instinct is to play it forward yet having certain players who also know when to retain it until the moment to play vertically presents itself.

That's very much different to previous seasons where players have been comfortable to pass it sideways and back e.g. Gary Miller and Brad McKay from various positions and leave the attacking to others. Tom, Coll and Brad Spencer are very much the vertical types in my view - and now see why Kennedy and Kucheriavyi made such a difference at times.

Also the players move much more off the ball - look at the Cove highlights; their players are mostly static while we set up the next pass as when the player dispatches the ball they then move into space to give a diagonal option (which means 1-2s are easier and very effective in passing the last man). It's such an improvement onn the last few years.

Edited by Kevin James Left Knee

29 minutes ago, Blame Me said:

That's very much different to previous seasons where players have been comfortable to pass it sideways and back e.g. Gary Miller and Brad McKay from various positions and leave the attacking to others. Tom, Coll and Brad Spencer are very much the vertical types in my view - and now see why Kennedy and Kucheriavyi made such a difference at times.

Kennedy with his performances last season wouldn’t land him in our squad this year but kucheriavyi with his corners and our back post runs (hendo) we would be even more lethal than we already are he was way to good for this league it still amazes me how we got him but that shows how good jmcg is at recruitment that he can get a good youth prospect who’s to good for this league on loan 

Some absolutely sensational publicity for the club over the last couple of weeks - great to see.

I won't say it would be just like us to fall flat on our face tomorrow after that, but it is extremely important that McGlynn does not make wholesale changes which completely disrupt our style just when we seem to have it down pat.

I would be thinking 2, or 3 absolute maximum. We need to keep the hammer down as long as we can.

I’d imagine Shanley will come in for MacIver, although knowing McGlynn, I wouldn’t actually rule out him picking Oliver either. Bisland in for Yeats if he’s needing a rest. The rest I’d keep as it is, barring any injuries we don’t know about it.

If he’s absolutely determined to rotate the squad, use the Bonnyrigg game. I appreciate the financial benefits cup progression can bring, but a) a more heavily rotated starting 11 should have enough to get past Bonnyrigg, given the strength of our bench, and b) if not, then while obviously disappointing… we move on. More than any other season, this year is all about the league. 

Edited by 18BAIRN76

17 minutes ago, RC55 FFC said:

Not sure why you got dotted for this as you are spot on. He’s doing great at Saints. 

When it comes to Bigbrbairn there seems to be an automatic downvote from Rennieball for some reason 🤷‍♂️

16 hours ago, Raybowski89 said:

but if we could even remain unbeaten until it's mathematically secured, I'm totally fine with them losing after that.

Obviously I’m still talking in fantasyland terms, but if it’s mathematically secured and we’re still unbeaten, the players would use that as a motivation tool until the end of season. The title of ‘Invincibles’ would be Bairns legend. Or perhaps it’s more cloud cuckooland.

Edited by GunnerBairn

8 hours ago, Reggie Perrin said:

Any new stand will have nothing to do with the Council except planning permission.

I remember seeing the drawn up plans for it, a smaller stand which doubles as offices and changing room facilities for the astro behind. Looked good but very much on the back burner just now.