It's been a few years since I was in the 'spoons in Kirkcaldy (might not even be a 'spoons anymore) but last time I was in they didn't have TVs. IMO this is a good thing, as it means I have to actually talk to people. For some reason I am drawn to the TV like a moth to a flame, even if it's just some shite like SSN or some other news channel which constantly regurgitates old news.

Obviously there is still the modern menace of smart phones, but getting rid of TVs from some pubs is a good thing.

The absence of TV's and music was a business decision made originally to keep down overheads. They could charge less for beer if they didn't have to fork out for Sky Sports and pay the PRS or for an entertainment license. In some places that means you have a decent pub charging fair prices for a spot of peace and quiet, but in places like Paisley, Greenock and Saltcoats you wind up with a lot of folk who only drink there because it's 5p a pint cheaper than anywhere else in the town* and it means they can save 50p a day while getting rat arsed and annoying anyone who has the misfortune to be able to hear their whiney, nasally, annoying fucking voice.

Quite a few Wetherspoons now have TV's on in the background, and the Lloyds franchise is basically Wetherspoons with music. Still hate the places.

* Accurate as of 2003ish when I stopped working for Wetherspoons.

Edited by Ross.

The absence of TV's and music was a business decision made originally to keep down overheads. They could charge less for beer if they didn't have to fork out for Sky Sports and pay the PRS or for an entertainment license. In some places that means you have a decent pub charging fair prices for a spot of peace and quiet, but in places like Paisley, Greenock and Saltcoats you wind up with a lot of folk who only drink there because it's 5p a pint cheaper than anywhere else in the town* and it means they can save 50p a day while getting rat arsed and annoying anyone who has the misfortune to be able to hear their whiney, nasally, annoying fucking voice.

Quite a few Wetherspoons now have TV's on in the background, and the Lloyds franchise is basically Wetherspoons with music. Still hate the places.

* Accurate as of 2003ish when I stopped working for Wetherspoons.

I seem to recall that the Wetherspoons outside Farringdon Station had TVs. That was in 2008. That was a dark, dingy, low-ceiling 'spoons.

Think the one in Kirkcaldy may actually be a Yates. Nope, just checked and it is a Wetherspoons.

Edited by Scary Bear

It's been a few years since I was in the 'spoons in Kirkcaldy (might not even be a 'spoons anymore) but last time I was in they didn't have TVs. IMO this is a good thing, as it means I have to actually talk to people. For some reason I am drawn to the TV like a moth to a flame, even if it's just some shite like SSN or some other news channel which constantly regurgitates old news.

Obviously there is still the modern menace of smart phones, but getting rid of TVs from some pubs is a good thing.

One of the 'charms' of many a Scottish Wetherspoons is that echoing rabble you hear the second you walk through the door. Real people talking, to each other.

Usually some big converted amphitheatre of a good old fashioned bank.

One of the 'charms' of many a Scottish Wetherspoons is that echoing rabble you hear the second you walk through the door. Real people talking, to each other.

Usually some big converted amphitheatre of a good old fashioned bank.

I used to hate that W'spoons didn't play music but i've come to quite like it as most "trendy" places tend to belt out the music and you have to shout in each others' ear

Shiteholesness varies from place to place. In Glasgow, the Counting house is a shitehole, verging on massive shitehole, the Crystal Palace is a shitehole, the Sir John Moore on Argyll st is a shitehole filled with the utter dregs of humanity, the one up the top of Suchiehall St is a shitehole, the Edward Rylie on Bothwell st is a shitehole.

I've fixed that for you mate.

It depends when you go I always think. Friday and Saturday nights most city centre pubs are full of wanks. Go for an early dinner on a Wednesday or Thursday and you get a different experience. 

They could charge less for beer if they didn't have to fork out for Sky Sports and pay the PRS or for an entertainment license

The 'spoons in (London)derry had Racing UK the last time I was there. A relative rarity in pubs generally.

I think the only Weatherspoons in Paisley is The Last Post at the station, nightmare to get served in. People often use it as a meeting point at the start of a night out but I hate it. 

I use it as a late night piss stop on the way home as it's a 15 minute walk to my flat from Gilmour Street. If there's nobody queuing at the bar, I'll have a pint, otherwise straight to the bogs then straight out the door.

I think the only Weatherspoons in Paisley is The Last Post at the station, nightmare to get served in. People often use it as a meeting point at the start of a night out but I hate it. 

I covered a few shifts in there and it was either folk starting a night out and meeting there, or jakes wondering why we won't let them bring in food from the chippy to eat while they drink.

:lol: not very varied that...

To be fair i'm only mostly in there for a few cheap pints pre-gig before the O2 academy/Hydro et al rip the pish out my wallet for an utterly bogging pint of Tuborg. Or if the aforementioned festival is on

Edited by Mik

Went to the opening of the Beer Kitchen last night. Free booze. No etiquette required.

The Edinburgh one is pretty good, so I'd imagine if have probably fallen asleep there if I'd gone.

Wee towns quite often don't have much variety of beer. If there's a Wetherspoons it might be the best option. Clientele is sometimes a problem and time to get served always is.

Sometimes they're good for sucking in the loons and keeping the other pubs for normal people. During the daytime they provide a decent halfway house for the elderly.

I love a spoons, although Lloyds can f**k off. Cheap pints, plenty variety, go through the barrels quick so usually a good pint.

No music, young people or women. Just chatting shite about pink Floyd albums or horse racing with your mate.

Yeah they stink and are full of weirdos but pubs are meant to be like that.

My top 5

1. Counting House Dundee - home

2. Counting House Glasgow - home from home handy for queen street

3. Jolly's Broughty Ferry nice wee sun trap beer garden

4. Standing Order Edinburgh - best of the bank refurbs

5. Sandpiper Glasgow airport - happy memories getting pished before flights.

Actually I'm putting in the Union St one in Aberdeen too as that's always the pre pittodrie boozer.

Edited by invergowrie arab

I love a spoons, although Lloyds can f**k off. Cheap pints, plenty variety, go through the barrels quick so usually a good pint.

No music, young people or women. Just chatting shite about pink Floyd albums or horse racing with your mate.

Yeah they stink and are full of weirdos but pubs are meant to be like that.

My top 5

1. Counting House Dundee - home

2. Counting House Glasgow - home from home handy for queen street

3. Jolly's Broughty Ferry nice wee sun trap beer garden

4. Standing Order Edinburgh - best of the bank refurbs

5. Sandpiper Glasgow airport - happy memories getting pished before flights.

Actually I'm putting in the Union St one in Aberdeen too as that's always the pre pittodrie boozer.

What's the etiquette about holding up the queue at the bar whilst arguing with the barman/barmaid about whether £500 notes are legal tender?

Yup, like people who don't own a television and vegetarians. 

And people who complain about folk ordering a drink at a bar while they are sitting there, with plenty of seats available in other areas of the bar.   <_<

People own vegetarians?