The Arbroath Thread

6 hours ago, SimonLichtie said:

I don't really post stuff here that I've posted on the Archive's socials as I don't want to be shoving the same content at people everywhere they go, but I'm making an exception today ;) 

Today's On This Day post is as follows:

On This Day in 1925 we beat King's Park 2-1 a Second Division match at Gayfield with Bob McFarlane and Bob Black scoring our goals

This was the last game played at 'Old Gayfield' with the pitch being moved and the entire ground rebuilt that summer. We played 560 competitive matches at the 'old' ground, and at least another 417 friendlies all of which are detailed in our archive!

image.jpeg.a6ec9ffc202860b1ca25908a3dc88596.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.35d1bbf23c2fb56f97b9284762a8190f.jpeg

The main reason for posting this one is I don't think it's particuarly well known that we 'moved' ground in the summer of 1925, and even when it is many don't know why/ where the 'old' ground is in relation to the new one.

image.jpeg.6b29bdcc81a270039e3fa084ccb32d13.jpeg

Above is a picture taken during the aforementioned game - one of the only, and certainly by far and away the best, picture I have of the 'old' ground. The big hill behind the goal closest to camera is the 'Tatties Nook' end which was favoured by the home fans.

Below is a picture showing the two grounds on one plan; the dotted line below being the 'old' ground and the ground we've all known in our lifetimes is the one on top, the shape is ever so recognisable 99 years later :D

image.jpeg.3fdcc3aa30e3f0063d9823d8be0031e8.jpeg

From here on in, the majority of this is from memory so I may be slightly off with certain bits...

One side of the ground couldn't be used at all due to the proximity to the road and with the school also being right on the opposite side of the road this couldn't be changed. There are various mentions in reports of players being smashed into the wall with it being just a few feet from the edge of the pitch.... :lol: 

The main stand at the old ground, clearly shown in the picture, was taken to the 'new' ground and sat opposite the new main stand (the one we still use today). You can see part of the old main stand sitting where it did at the 'new' ground in the picture below, taken in 1950.

image.jpeg.da4682bd8d0df8edd27720d4894f3d51.jpeg

Why did I use this picture to show that stand instead of the other ones that show it fully? The wall! ;)

I think, and this is my theory/ opinion as opposed to something I have factual evidence to confirm, that the wall closest to where the photo is taken above may be the only part of 'old' Gayfield that was kept and formed part of the 'new' ground. The photo from 1925 and the one from 1950 would be showing the same wall opposite Ladyloan School. The old main stand that was moved was demolished sometime in the 1950s IIRC (maybe 60s) and the wall was fully redeveloped just a few years ago.

Follow us on Twitter or Facebook to see more of this sort of stuff ;) 

If anyone has any questions ask away - I may fact check all the above stuff and post the other bits and pieces relating to it when on my own computer and not hiding the corner of my work office using my work laptop :ph34r:

I have lost countless number of hours on this site - mates regularly send a mind this into the chats with the ‘on this day’ reports - a brilliant effort from you 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

Still keeping the faith Red Lichties 🇱🇻⚽🔥💪 but I’ll be honest and admit I am definitely on the fence with Jimmy Mc. For me his judgement day has arrived and my overall thoughts and verdict on him continuing will be decided come 9:45pm on Tuesday Night.

Last week was so disappointing. Yes a committed and determined performance but we lacked real cutting edge going forward and the goal we lost is so so poor and overall to bow down 1-0 to an average Partick team was really frustrating. Subs and tactics were weird and we just didn’t look like a team fighting for our lives.

If we are already down like everyone is saying then fine, I am as diehard, passionate and loyally maroon as they come and even I am gradually coming to terms with being in League 1 next season but come on bloody show some urgency and fight and let’s go for it as nothing to lose if this is the case, I would rather lose trying than playing not to get beat. It just looks too safe and cagey and it’s a horrible watch, We can beat Dunfermline & Airdrie but it’s his job to get the players fired up, He promised exciting attacking football and something to get the fans entertained and he needs to start delivering and it starts tomorrow.

Realistically we can only catch ICT if anyone. If we were to win these 2 home games and Partick do us a favour we could be heading upto Inverness next Saturday knowing a victory (Again been done before) would take us level with them with 4 to play for. After being our bogey team for so long and them breaking our hearts in that Premiership playoff it would be sweet as anything and very ironic if we were to actually pip them this time around in the Relegation playoff. 🇱🇻⚽💪

Even if we do manage a few wins ICT are going to pick up points we are doon in my eyes. Left it far too late. I’d say we’d need to win 5/6 to even get playoff and that’s no happening 

We really needed to win or at least get a point last week v PT. It was a first of 3 home winnable games and we blew it. As said above though, would want to see us go down fighting all the way than with a whimper. Go for it from the first minute and leave nothing on the park at 90 mins. C'mon lichties. 

I think we’ve just got to give McIntyre a pre season and a proper summer window to get his own group of guys together otherwise we’re kind of chucking him without giving him a proper chance at the job 

He has been chasing his tail and firefighting the whole time he’s been here with a team and squad that would be up against it in this league even if we were strong and never had injuries to deal with 

Right now there’ll be a lot of players in that dressing room who know they are away and sub consciously think we are down and that’ll have an effect too

Absolutely no point switching manager again in the summer for me 

I'd be interested to know how often sticking with a relegated manager actually works, even if said manager only takes on later in the season?  Anybody ever looked into to?  My gut feeling is that most of the time, it just doesn't work.  Fresh start needed.  Get him punted.  No reflection of McIntyre as a manager, we just need a fresh face for a new season in a new league.

Edited by ExiledLichtie

1 hour ago, ExiledLichtie said:

I'd be interested to know how often sticking with a relegated manager actually works, even if said manager only takes on later in the season?  Anybody ever looked into to?  My gut feeling is that most of the time, it just doesn't work.  Fresh start needed.  Get him punted.  No reflection of McIntyre as a manager, we just need a fresh face for a new season in a new league.

Wonder how often a manager comes in and then is so short on players he has to stick the sub keeper upfront and goes about 10 weeks with 13-15 players and then the rest of the season with a handful of players in and out the team injured? He’s been dealt the worst hand he possibly could have 

You’re talking about ripping up the whole thing again and getting a whole new manager and coaching staff in - what happens if we get rid and start with another new manager and then 2 months into next season we’ve got off to a nightmare start in L1 - do we just get rid of them all again and start looking for another manager and coaching staff. You need to give them a proper chance 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

I suppose it depends how much blame you’d attribute to McIntyre taking us down, what he inherited has been quite frankly disgraceful and entirely foreseeable. 

Having said that, he needs to show something between now and the end of the season, or he will be up against it regardless. 

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Wonder how often a manager comes in and then is so short on players he has to stick the sub keeper upfront and goes about 10 weeks with 13-15 players and then the rest of the season with a handful of players in and out the team injured? He’s been dealt the worst hand he possibly could have 

You’re talking about ripping up the whole thing again and getting a whole new manager and coaching staff in - what happens if we get rid and start with another new manager and then 2 months into next season we’ve got off to a nightmare start in L1 - do we just get rid of them all again and start looking for another manager and coaching staff. You need to give them a proper chance 

None of that matters.  The circumstances do not matter.  I absolutely agree that he has been dealt the worst possible hand, but that changes nothing.  It doesn't matter what the circumstances were, what matters is that he had 2/3rds of a season and lost most of his games.  And just to repeat, it doesn't matter what the reasons are.  I agree its not his fault, and likely nothing would have stopped us being relegated.  I don't think relegation is any reflection on him as a manager, but that doesn't matter.  What matters is that we need a fresh start.

Not sure how old you are, but are you old enough to remember the John Brownlie time?  You could make a damn good argument that relegation was not Brownlie's fault.  The club had older players, we spent every penny we had and then some more making the club division 1 worthy, and the players we ended up with were absolutely dismal.  But we kept faith with Brownlie.  And it was a disaster.  We then went with Steve Kirk for continuity, but that's another story. 

Surely we cannot go into a brand new season with a manager tainted, however unfairly, by the disaster of the previous season.  He's got to go for that alone.  

32 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

None of that matters.  The circumstances do not matter.  I absolutely agree that he has been dealt the worst possible hand, but that changes nothing.  It doesn't matter what the circumstances were, what matters is that he had 2/3rds of a season and lost most of his games.  And just to repeat, it doesn't matter what the reasons are.  I agree its not his fault, and likely nothing would have stopped us being relegated.  I don't think relegation is any reflection on him as a manager, but that doesn't matter.  What matters is that we need a fresh start.

Not sure how old you are, but are you old enough to remember the John Brownlie time?  You could make a damn good argument that relegation was not Brownlie's fault.  The club had older players, we spent every penny we had and then some more making the club division 1 worthy, and the players we ended up with were absolutely dismal.  But we kept faith with Brownlie.  And it was a disaster.  We then went with Steve Kirk for continuity, but that's another story. 

Surely we cannot go into a brand new season with a manager tainted, however unfairly, by the disaster of the previous season.  He's got to go for that alone.  

This 100%, we cannot go into next season with this manager

46 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

Yeah I agree. I would like to give McIntyre the benefit of the doubt but there are absolutely no positives that I can see to merit it.

Insipid performances week on week, crap signings, awful tactics etc etc. I would be all for giving him more time if we were seeing something positive every game but, aside from 25 minutes v Raith, it’s been eye bleeding stuff for months now.

For the record - I don’t blame it all on him, he inherited an absolute shambles but he’s had ample opportunity to at least show a hint of positivity for the future but has failed miserably.

I would rather a total clean slate now or in the summer at latest.

Aye I don’t blame JM for the shape we are in that’s solely from previous management and the terrible squad balance he inherited. In my eyes he had a free pass till we had back decent numbers back and since then performances have gotten worse imo. I get players weren’t fully fit but shape, tactics, selections subs etc have been wild and poor at times and that isn’t just down to players. I’m not convinced with him at all. Lots of players will leave and will be a totally clean slate for everyone if we parted company with him. 

There is bound to be a big turnover of players in the summer, but that’s overdue. It’s worth bearing in mind that the boys who want to move on will be playing to impress any likely future club. Players like Jay will want his goals per game looking decent.

I’m not sure how he’d be tainted with this relegation Jose Mourinho wouldn’t have kept us up in these circumstances.

Fair enough if you want JM binned - I am not sure it would be the best move. Think very quickly it could end up with just shouting for the managers head as soon as things go wrong, like I said 3 months into next year and it’s looking like a poor move with the new guy if we did make a change then what happens then? 

Surely he’s already looking at and talking to players for next year - like Pink said before your summer targets are usually lined up 6 months beforehand. If he leaves the players he’d been talking to already don’t come then I dunno how we’d manage to assemble a half decent squad for next season. Loads of guys will have an idea where they’re off to already.

If we’re going to be binning him we’d need to have the next guy lined up and that next guy will have needed to start trying putting things in place and putting feelers out there - also whoever that guy may be will have probably went for it the last time and knew they were second choice. 

I’m not sure who would be a better option than McIntyre either really. Does anyone even have any suggestions? 

You don't need to go far to see the impact of a disastrous season can have on subsequent seasons if you don't make significant changes.

15 miles due North, to be exact.

Get rid of every single player that arrived in the last 2 seasons and build from there.

3 minutes ago, Lichtielegend said:

You don't need to go far to see the impact of a disastrous season can have on subsequent seasons if you don't make significant changes.

15 miles due North, to be exact.

Get rid of every single player that arrived in the last 2 seasons and build from there.

Wouldn’t you keep Jay Bird? 

Saturdays seem a bit of a chore just now, today included. If we are going down then let’s go down with some fight. Let’s rattle teams and give the support a bit of a lift. 

And if we do lose I certainly hope no more imaginary death threats are sent to the social media team 

5 minutes ago, Anotherlichtie said:

Wouldn’t you keep Jay Bird? 

The only player that would be hard done by that decision would be Steele, imo.
He can at least be arsed every game, unlike Bird.

Edited by Lichtielegend

14 minutes ago, Lichtielegend said:

The only player that would be hard done by that decision would be Steele, imo.
He can at least be arsed every game, unlike Bird.

I completely forgot about young Aaron. He’s been out so long now