The Arbroath Thread

9 hours ago, DUAFC said:

What we do need on Wednesday night is the Chairman to front up proceedings, and honestly and frankly explain the direction of travel. 

Otherwise it's a complete and utter waste of time. 

Why back down when you can double down?

We spent most of the train journey to Ayr trying to convince ourselves that if the club are backing McIntyre we really just need to get on board with that and try and pull in the same direction, but it’s just not happening. I’m all for a period of stability and giving a manager time and more windows to do the job, but only if he’s the right man. The club are backing the wrong horse here. 

I’ve been unable to post and missed the last few games due to personal circumstances and probably won’t see another game this season.

Having kept up to date with all the posts on this forum and I feel that some posters need to maybe step back and have a reality check. I know that each is a personal opinion, just as this is, but we need to remember what Arbroath FC is.

I think that some time ago I said that AFC is a small, provincial football club with a relatively small fan base that employs part time professional footballers, and that still applies. As such we should manage our expectations accordingly.

Winning League 2 and 1 titles and a 5 season run, with one exceptional season in the Championship has perhaps led some to believe that we should be an established Championship side. However, competing against full time sides who can train and work on tactics during the whole week means we would always be at a disadvantage. Very poor team management over last season and this, together with a horrendous injury situation have seen our time in the Championship come to an end, but it would have ended sooner or later anyway.

I sometimes wish that we hadn’t had that amazing 21-22 season, it raised expectations so much. When will we see another side that hardly had any injuries, a rock solid defence, intelligent midfielders who put in a shift every week, Bobby Linn and of course a one off up front? Maybe not in my lifetime but the main thing is that the club takes this relegation in it’s stride, learns from mistakes made and moves on.

Edited by SotesBornalichtie

8 minutes ago, SotesBornalichtie said:

I’ve been unable to post and missed the last few games due to personal circumstances and probably won’t see another game this season.

Having kept up to date with all the posts on this forum and I feel that some posters need to maybe step back and have a reality check. I know that each is a personal opinion, just as this is, but we need to remember what Arbroath FC is.

I think that some time ago I said that AFC is a small, provincial football club with a relatively small fan base that employs part time professional footballers, and that still applies. As such we should manage our expectations accordingly.

Winning League 2 and 1 titles and a 5 season run, with one exceptional season in the Championship has perhaps led some to believe that we should be an established Championship side. However, competing against full time sides who can train and work on tactics during the whole week means we would always be at a disadvantage. Very poor team management over last season and this, together with a horrendous injury situation have seen our time in the Championship come to an end, but it would have ended sooner or later anyway.

I sometimes wish that we hadn’t had that amazing 21-22 season, it raised expectations so much. When will we see another side that hardly had any injuries, a rock solid defence, intelligent midfielders who put in a shift every week, Bobby Linn and of course a one off up front? Maybe not in my lifetime but the main thing is that the club takes this relegation in it’s stride, learns from mistakes made and moves on.

This is no place for the voice of reason! 😉😂

2 minutes ago, SotesBornalichtie said:

Having kept up to date with all the posts on this forum and I feel that some posters need to maybe step back and have a reality check. I know that each postpersonal opinion, just as this is, but we need to remember what Arbroath FC is.

To be completely fair - I think you’re missing the point if you think people are reacting this way purely because we’ve been relegated. I don’t think there are any high expectations within the support at all, not in the slightest. You are correct in everything else you say though.

However standards still have to remain respectable and decent you cannot just throw them all out of the window because there have been difficult circumstances to contend with. This has become so bad it is so far below par for course now. I fully expected to get beat yesterday and still somehow ended up extremely disappointed. It’s been pretty embarrassing for a while and so far below what you’d expect as a minimum, organisation, effort and a team unit out on the park with a manager making his best effort with the fans and showing he cares. 

In danger of tearing the arse right out of everything we have built up the last 5 year if the fans are not listened to. It’s gone too far now really, soon as there’s a blip in the road next season the knives will be back out. A feel good feeling and positivity is required going into next seasons campaign.

I was sticking up for McIntyre a month ago. There was me on Friday saying that I would get behind him if we started seeing more positive news along the lines of Scotty Stewart…. Then Saturday afternoon 3pm rolls around and it left me feeling like an idiot for even suggesting that 

Not good enough and my pessimism towards the team and expectations have been at rock bottom and as low as they possibly could be for months now 

21 minutes ago, SotesBornalichtie said:

I don't think any of this is based on reality.  I'm not sure it reflects what I've read on this forum, or on social media generally.

15 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

After 4 solid years in the championship I personally would want to become an established championship side. Whether part time or not. 

Well since the January 22 transfer window we have pretty much failed to add any quality player to the side to be an established Championship side.

When we are doing so much off the pitch, acting like a full time team and having constant backing from the fans putting hands in there pockets constantly it's not unfair of fans to expect a little more, No one is expecting us to have another repeat of the season we were almost promoted, but it's not to much to ask to he a little more competitive. 

6 minutes ago, IR1970 said:

Not sure if there is much in it but heard MaKenna has signed for Falkirk. 

Heard this a few weeks ago but as Falkirk are full time and Micheal has his own business I doubt it's true.

1 hour ago, Hayshead2 said:

Heard this a few weeks ago but as Falkirk are full time and Micheal has his own business I doubt it's true.

I can't imagine he would just shutter his business and go full time at the age of 33.  The bigger risk is of him going to one of the other part time teams.