When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

822 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Watching the summing up of the internal market debate in Holyrood just now.
Maurice Golden is on a different planet surely.
He's an idiot. He stood in for Kirstene Hair at a hustings in Kirriemuir a while back and was a babbling shambles. She'd binned it because she cleverly slagged off NHS staff in Angus a few days previously.

7 minutes ago, BawWatchin said:

If this keeps up to the next election, that'll be a year with a sustained indy majority in polling.

Starting to get the feeling that Boris et al will just choose to chuck it and get it out the way. The next UK election in 2024 being focused about how he is going to put the belligerent Scots in their box and hammer them in the indy negotiations is the sort of campaign you'd think he'd love having. Combine that with the increased majority (removing 53 'rebel' seats and other quite shaky ones) and an excuse for boundary changes and I could see him sailing home again.

I don't really think this gov have any ideological stance behind retaining Scotland tbh. They are just looking to transition towards their fantasy of the Singapore type tax haven but need a bit of time post Brexit to make the irreversible sort of changes required. If ditching us consolidates their power, they will do it.

16 minutes ago, harry94 said:

Starting to get the feeling that Boris et al will just choose to chuck it and get it out the way. The next UK election in 2024 being focused about how he is going to put the belligerent Scots in their box and hammer them in the indy negotiations is the sort of campaign you'd think he'd love having. Combine that with the increased majority (removing 53 'rebel' seats and other quite shaky ones) and an excuse for boundary changes and I could see him sailing home again.

I don't really think this gov have any ideological stance behind retaining Scotland tbh. They are just looking to transition towards their fantasy of the Singapore type tax haven but need a bit of time post Brexit to make the irreversible sort of changes required. If ditching us consolidates their power, they will do it.

I just can't see Johnson accepting the possibility of being the guy who destroyed the UK. I get where you're coming from but the prestige hit would be devastating for him and the UK internationally.

1 hour ago, NotThePars said:

I just can't see Johnson accepting the possibility of being the guy who destroyed the UK. I get where you're coming from but the prestige hit would be devastating for him and the UK internationally.

He's already done that with Brexit. What we need is a rise of English nationalism to encourage him, and for the Scottish Government to be as annoying as possible.

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

He's already done that with Brexit. What we need is a rise of English nationalism to encourage him, and for the Scottish Government to be as annoying as possible.

Abstractly maybe but we're still to all intents and purposes a United Kingdom with the kayfabe of being significant in the world. You can't even point to losing Ireland in 1922, imo, given the British Empire was still the largest empire on the planet. There's nothing to cushion the blow and it's a serious loss of face. The boundary changes coming up will do the job that losing Scotland would probably do for the Tories perpetual hegemony anyway.