General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

5 minutes ago, SlipperyP said:

Looks like the independents are the big winners so far.

A two finger salute to the main parties.

I'm all for more independents at local elections, I think party politics is more of a hindrance at that level. I believe it's common on the islands and in rural wards to have more independents.

I remember seeing some party like "No to independence, yes to Brexit" for my ward at the last council elections. I mean, that's all very good mate, but what are your views on this local planning decision?

Houchen winning is a weird one. Seems to he popular still despite the massive shakiness with the Tees Freeport stuff. Standing as a Tory but not mentioning the party or the PM in his election material. Share going down but share of voters who voted in person (i.e. not postal votes) apparently up. It's a bonfire down there.

Seeing lots of GB News types on Twitter saying Labour are looking worried about Khan not winning London, whilst also saying that these rumours are actually coming from Labour and are just to save face incase he doesn’t win by as much as hoped. How fucking stupid do they think we are?

4 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Houchen winning is a weird one. Seems to he popular still despite the massive shakiness with the Tees Freeport stuff. Standing as a Tory but not mentioning the party or the PM in his election material. Share going down but share of voters who voted in person (i.e. not postal votes) apparently up. It's a bonfire down there.

Have you ever been to Teeside.  It been a mess for about 50 years. A wasteland that nobody gave f**k about as it not got named city.

Easy to blame everyone else, especially the foreign. Labour did f**k all when they were in control.

Welsh pcc results in. Three Labour holds and a plaid hold. I couldn’t be fucked voting and apparently wasn’t alone, with sub 20% turnout in all four regions. No one seems to know what these people do or what they’ve been doing for the last however long we’ve had them. Pointless.

9 minutes ago, SlipperyP said:

Have you ever been to Teeside.  It been a mess for about 50 years. A wasteland that nobody gave f**k about as it not got named city.

Easy to blame everyone else, especially the foreign. Labour did f**k all when they were in control.

Just posted that on the Labour thread. Was in Middlesboro for a night in the early 90s. Was grim as.

Poverty has got even worse since 2015 apparently. Yet they still vote Tory?!

1 hour ago, The Golden God said:

Seeing lots of GB News types on Twitter saying Labour are looking worried about Khan not winning London, whilst also saying that these rumours are actually coming from Labour and are just to save face incase he doesn’t win by as much as hoped. How fucking stupid do they think we are?

Khan will win easily Id guess

Posted (edited)

who was the complete roaster at the blackpool count when it was announced? When the labour winner was speaking this clown dressed up like fancy dress kept shaking his head and muttering when winning speech was being given. The height of bad manners imo. I thought it was maybe the loony party but then their candidate appeared on the other side and he had the good grace to stay quiet.

Edited by ScotiaNostra

Popular ex-Labour, now independent, North East Mayor Jamie Driscoll loses to local Police Commissioner Kim McGuinness (fun fact, she's the sister of my wife's boss) in a slight shock although Labour were throwing everything at is as a Driscoll win would have been seen as a bit of an embarrassment for Starmer. 

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Popular ex-Labour, now independent, North East Mayor Jamie Driscoll loses to local Police Commissioner Kim McGuinness (fun fact, she's the sister of my wife's boss) in a slight shock although Labour were throwing everything at is as a Driscoll win would have been seen as a bit of an embarrassment for Starmer. 

Corbynista. Shared stage with Ken Loach. Not the right sort for Starmer's Labour Party. I voted for him, for the TUSC candidate for the council and for the Labour nominee as Police and Crime Commissioner.

On the Teesport thing, I think they see themselves as the beneficiaries of some weird dogmatic Tory largesse and are desperate for any hopeful enterprises.

Edited by Thane of Cawdor
Afterthought.

1 hour ago, DrewDon said:

I have just dropped off ten thousand postal votes for Sadiq Khan in Tower Hamlets. 

They let me vote 5 times after I showed them my Islam membership card.

I have just dropped off ten thousand postal votes for Sadiq Khan in Tower Hamlets. 

^^^ Imam after my own heart.

Good luck getting out alive m9, I hear that's one of those Muslamic no-go areas.

4 hours ago, Thane of Cawdor said:

Corbynista. Shared stage with Ken Loach. Not the right sort for Starmer's Labour Party. I voted for him, for the TUSC candidate for the council and for the Labour nominee as Police and Crime Commissioner.

For those unaware; Driscoll was mayor of North of Tyne. He shared a stage with Ken Loach discussing Loach's recent film which was set locally. Unrelated to that topic or anything discussed at the event, Loach had long been critical of Israel. Starmer insisted that made Loach beyond the pale. Driscoll promoted a film about the area he is mayor of that was directed by Loach. Therefore cosmic forces of intertwined evil were somehow present and Driscoll got the boot.

Really, Starmer didn't give a toss about Loach or Israel, he just used it as an excuse to get rid of a mayor who was likely to dissent against him. A steamrolling of local democracy within the Labour party. He'll get away with that in the short term but such centralisation will lead to unrest and rot longer term.

countbinface.jpg.946ed72b97dd75fda9da32a798c4370d.jpg

Count Binface (standing in the London Mayoral election) was interviewed on Radio 4 news this evening. 

He sounded a bit like Bluebottle from the Goon Show

I'd vote for him... 

7 hours ago, SlipperyP said:

Looks like the independents are the big winners so far.

A two finger salute to the main parties.

"Independents" in Scotland tended to be Tories in all but name.. but there could be a few good guys in there I suppose. 

9 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

"Independents" in Scotland tended to be Tories in all but name.. but there could be a few good guys in there I suppose. 

Or fired out of the Labour Party for being a leftie.

John Crace in Guardian :-

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/article/2024/may/03/tories-take-refuge-in-fantasy-as-local-election-drubbing-becomes-clear

"Spare a thought for Richard Holden. While every other senior Tory politician had sensibly chosen to lock themselves in a darkened room with a bottle of scotch and a syringe full of heroin, the Conservative party chair took one for the team. A long stint on the airwaves from soon after the polls had closed through to the following morning.

“OK,” he reluctantly admitted. “It hadn’t been a great night for the Tories.” Results had been sub-optimal – as in, catastrophic – but this was what happened to every government mid-term. Er, Earth to Dick. Come in please. We’re a maximum of six months out from a general election. This isn’t a casual kick up the arse. It’s everyone saying enough is enough. “We’re listening,” said Dick. Except he wasn’t. His special adviser passed him his meds and he went home to sleep."

Is it just me or is Labour picking up only 38.8% of Tory losses at present actually not an impressive performance from the other main party in English politics?