Stand Up Comedy

JMDP

2 hours ago, ICTChris said:

I honestly thought Garry Bushell was dead.

I saw Ross Noble about 20 years ago in Edinburgh, he was really funny but I can't remember anything about the gig.

You've remembered the comedian, date, venue and whether he was funny, for starters.

• 1 month later...

Went to the Glee Club in Glasgow tonight. Four comedians for £20 and good, affordable food on offer. A really good night out in a great wee venue.

Morgan Rees (MC) - Welsh guy who knew how to work a crowd.

Cubby - blind Glasweigan with some good jokes and funny stories all based off him being blind.

Gavin Webster - hilarious Geordie. Could tell he's been around the scene for a long time, really really good.

Michael Fabbri - mild mannered Englishman on the surface who got really close to the bone in a really funny way.

Once again at a show in Glasgow, some folk who had too much to drink who couldn't shut up (not even heckling, just talking loudly amongst themselves). I don't understand paying out money to go to a show just to talk through it. Just go to the pub. Thankfully we were sat far enough away from them that it didn't impact our enjoyment too much.

Would recommend going to one of their weekend shows, well worth the money.

10 hours ago, Craig fae the Vale said:

Once again at a show in Glasgow, some folk who had too much to drink who couldn't shut up (not even heckling, just talking loudly amongst themselves)

In defence of Glasgow, it seems to be everywhere - and not just confined to comedy, where quality heckling used to be an art - there are theatres in England now having to employ aisle security specifically to deal with these arseholes.

From what I can gather, there are loads of entitled wankers who seem to have forgotten the correct etiquette post covid.

52 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

From what I can gather, there are loads of entitled wankers who seem to have forgotten the correct etiquette post covid.

Aye pretty much this. Went to see Frankie Boyle at the King's a few weeks back and some c**t near me wouldn't shut up. Of course Boyle absolutely ripped him to shreds and that was funny, but overall it was very annoying having things interrupted.

As you say, it's not just comedy, its everywhere. Shows, pubs, public transport etc. c***s seem to have forgotten how to function like a normal person and not piss everyone else off. 

4 hours ago, Leith Green said:

In defence of Glasgow, it seems to be everywhere - and not just confined to comedy, where quality heckling used to be an art - there are theatres in England now having to employ aisle security specifically to deal with these arseholes.

I've been going to shows in Glasgow for over 20 years and the crowds are usually great,it's just in the last few months I've noticed it happening. I don't really go to stuff elsewhere so don't have another frame of reference. Wasn't deliberately having a go at Glasgow  

4 hours ago, AuAl said:

Aye pretty much this. Went to see Frankie Boyle at the King's a few weeks back and some c**t near me wouldn't shut up. Of course Boyle absolutely ripped him to shreds and that was funny, but overall it was very annoying having things interrupted.

As you say, it's not just comedy, its everywhere. Shows, pubs, public transport etc. c***s seem to have forgotten how to function like a normal person and not piss everyone else off. 

It's absolutely ridiculous how things have changed since covid. I've noticed it at comedy and theatre shows, but even things like folk having full conversations on speaker in public is baffling. Totally agree that a lot of folk have just forgotten how to behave in public. It's infuriating. 

1 hour ago, Craig fae the Vale said:

It's absolutely ridiculous how things have changed since covid. I've noticed it at comedy and theatre shows, but even things like folk having full conversations on speaker in public is baffling. Totally agree that a lot of folk have just forgotten how to behave in public. It's infuriating. 

Folk doing this on the bus really gives me murderous thoughts. I'm currently looking for a decent pair of noise cancelling headphones to help me avoid a stretch in Saughton.

2 hours ago, Craig fae the Vale said:

Aye this. So infuriating. Just can't understand it.

Also when did it become okay to play your music out loud without earphones on a train or bus? Almost every time I'm on a train there's some arsehole doing that.

In danger of derailing the thread here but those folk deserve shot imo.

2 hours ago, AuAl said:

Also when did it become okay to play your music out loud without earphones on a train or bus? Almost every time I'm on a train there's some arsehole doing that.

The Eighties, when ghettoblasters became affordable. The only difference now is that trains/buses have less staff, so they aren't as confident about chucking arsehiles off for acting the c**t. You'll notice that people always blare the very worst music from their phones, no matter their age, so it's very much trolling behaviour.

Weird that Eighties-style massive cans are fashionable again now. Most folk couldn't wait to get rid of them once earphones arrived on the market.

7 hours ago, AuAl said:

It's always shite modern music too 

I'd sort them out with a bit of classic Jesus and Mary Chain at full volume

14 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

It's always shite modern music too 

I'd sort them out with a bit of classic Jesus and Mary Chain at full volume

I'm always tempted to block out their chipmunk vocal, happy hardcore shite with Harsh Noise Wall, but that's rather like Superman saving the drowning kids by throwing them into a volcano.

Also, the cocky teens/wild-eyed jakes might say bad words to me for drowning out their music, and I'm very sensitive.

10 hours ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

Folk doing this on the bus really gives me murderous thoughts. I'm currently looking for a decent pair of noise cancelling headphones to help me avoid a stretch in Saughton.

may be the greatest invention known to man! my trips from Aberdeen home and not hearing the Sunderland/Middlesbrough rig workers talking shit is blissful 

Going to see Jerry Sadowitz & John Kearns in Edinburgh and Scott Gibson in Biggar later in the year 

• 1 month later...

Was at The Friday Show at the Stand in Glasgow tonight. Five comedians for £15, great value. Billy Kirkwood, Jay Lafferty, Darius Davies and Ian Coppinger were all great, Anna Thomas got some laughs but was a bit too weird and random. Really good night. Got The Glee Club next Saturday as well, plenty of comedy this month.

1 minute ago, Craig fae the Vale said:

Was at The Friday Show at the Stand in Glasgow tonight. Five comedians for £15, great value. Billy Kirkwood, Jay Lafferty, Darius Davies and Ian Coppinger were all great, Anna Thomas got some laughs but was a bit too weird and random. Really good night. Got The Glee Club next Saturday as well, plenty of comedy this month.

Saw Jay Lafferty last night in Edinburgh, her pole act was interrupted when a woman in the audience took a whitey.

The lady was fine, and she resumed her set, but I had to head for the train 15 minutes into Liam Withnail's set due to the overrun.

On 04/06/2023 at 16:29, AuAl said:

I drive them, and often feel in danger of derailing the train let alone this thread with these erseholes. Post covid it's gone off the scale.

Fuddish behaviour at gigs has been with us since long before covid. Worst I experienced was at the Athletico Mince gig at Glasgow Tramway a few years ago. There was a procession of(mainly 20 year olds) getting up and leaving the venue, returning a short time later, during the set which must have been as frustrating as f**k for Bob and Andy as the way the venue is set up they have to walk along the front of the stage. Bob wasn't 100% at the gig and feel if he had been at least one of them would have been launched into the back row.I still have no idea if they were particularly weak bladdered or needed to vape/snort at regular intervals. It made for a very frustrating night for everyone else concerned.

Going to see Gary Delaney next weekend, I hope there are no c***s in the audience.*  First gig of any kind post COVID.

* OK, I hope there are no other c***s in the audience.

1 minute ago, Granny Danger said:

Going to see Gary Delaney next weekend, I hope there are no c***s in the audience.*  First gig of any kind post COVID.

* OK, I hope there are no other c***s in the audience.

Seen him at the Edinburgh Stand and in a theatre, equally at home in both type of venue, you will be entertained.

• 2 weeks later...