The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

4 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Ditto. I hadn't appreciated how close they were. I genuinely expected us to get past 54 points, which is my magic number for top four more often than not. I'm really not sure we'll make it. Raith and QP look like our best opportunities for wins. ICT still have one eye on the cup and also have to play Dundee. Its poised for us needing a draw up at Caley on the last day, isn't it?

Yeah - I imagine we’ll go into the last day needing something, but I’m predicting it’ll be a win we need. 

I now don’t think we’ll do it, unless we get something this weekend that is…

ETA, looking at their fixtures - I don’t think the cup will affect them the way it falls. 

Edited by No_Problemo

6 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

Tbh Livi playing hardball with Mullin didn’t help. Having him here permanently instead of on loan will have cost and I don’t think it’s something we planned for.

Part of the problem is the focus on that meant we all treated it like it was a new signing and thought it was the sign of a good window when it was nothing of the sort.

I wonder where we’d be if Chalmers had stayed. His ability masked our tactical shortcomings a lot of the time. He’s been on the bench more often than not for Tranmere, maybe with hindsight he’d have stayed.

Maybe he'll be back with us next year.  It's obviously not worked out at Tranmere and he talked highly of the freedom he was given.  Out of contract in the summer afaik. 

January windows should never be relied on for teams like us. In fact they should be feared more often that not. Arbroaths title charge blew up last year after Nouble was recalled in January. Chalmers the same with us to a lesser extent. Basically your good loan players will be called back and you are only able to replace them with the shite no one else wanted.

In hindsight I don’t actually think we’ve utilised Akinyemi enough. You’ll get far more success playing to your best players strengths and he is by a mile our best attacking player. He has been asked far too often to hold up the ball longer than he needs to and to spray balls out to both touch lines when he should really have quick 5-10 yard options. I think we tried to address that by signing Maguire but it just hasn’t worked. This thought has really just been triggered by watching the Houston goal against Dundee and how easy we got through by playing it into Dipos feet and getting it back quickly.

21 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

Maybe he'll be back with us next year.  It's obviously not worked out at Tranmere and he talked highly of the freedom he was given.  Out of contract in the summer afaik. 

Think he's under contract at Dundee United for another year. 

EAC044E3-0E4B-49AF-8B9E-D20CE491C67D.png

Edited by ayrunitedfw

Was McAlear part of the Chalmers signing by Tranmere as some sort of "gentleman's agreement"? Or just coincidence one left us to join Tranmere and then other came in the opposite directon

*I know Chalmers is still at Dundee Utd on paper 

Edited by Thereisalight..

18 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

Back in the league playing for Dundee United more like

2 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Think he's under contract at Dundee United for another year. 

So he is, but they obviously don't rate him there under endless managers so maybe he'll get cut in the summer if he can find someone to take him on (us (please)). 

6 minutes ago, Iain said:

I'm looking forward to the moment next season when Ayr are bottom of the league and someone tries to tell us we should've enjoyed this season while we had it. 🫠

Wonder if anybody on here would suggest that 🤔

8 hours ago, muZZa__44 said:

Speaking of improving full backs would anyone want to take Longridge back? Clearly out of favour at Livingston and feel he’s too good to be stuck at Cove on loan?

Don’t know if he’s done anything at cove to warrant us taking a punt on him. He’s better than reading but my 6 month old would do a better job than him

To be honest, I like Bullen as a manager. However, his total inability to change his set up is doing my head in. Epitomised by the Falkirk game, where we blew them away in the first 20-25 mins. They changed formation and we would not\could not change things resulting in Hoppyball. The rest is history. Bullen needs an experienced assistant to compliment his management style. This is essential or we will go backwards without Dipo or an equivalent next season. 

I do think that Queens Park may well finish below us. That's a spectacular implosion. However apart from a win against QP, I'm not sure where other points are coming from, possibly Raith at home. But by god it's a dismal whimpering end to the season. 

On Saturday, I'd expect us to drop points, to put it mildly. We have gone from hoping Morton can do us a turn against Dundee to hoping Dundee beat Morton in the space of a week. The Queens Park results are a formality for us now unless they enter the race for the last play-off place but I doubt it. 

Bullen has made a complete James Hunt of things, his post match interview on Saturday didn't look like someone concerned with our predicament but come 5pm on Saturday we could well be 5th, maybe even 5th with only goal difference stopping us from being 6th. If that happens, I don't see any way back for this team,

We were pea hearted shitebags for a lot of last season and there is nothing about this lot that shows they are up for a fight. 

Having been in the top four most of the season, you would think we should be confident about going to Partick and beating them, but I don’t know of any Ayr fan that could honestly say that.

I thought maybe it was just me, then you think back to all of the ‘big games / must win / 6 pointers’ and I can really only think of Stranraer playoffs (and we just scraped past that) and getting a result up at Inverness in recent memory!

2 hours ago, AUFC 1910 said:

Having been in the top four most of the season, you would think we should be confident about going to Partick and beating them, but I don’t know of any Ayr fan that could honestly say that.

I thought maybe it was just me, then you think back to all of the ‘big games / must win / 6 pointers’ and I can really only think of Stranraer playoffs (and we just scraped past that) and getting a result up at Inverness in recent memory!

We comfortably beat Raith Rovers (our title challengers) at Somerset twice during the title win season. Although we looked like making a Chris Brunt of that at one point.

1 hour ago, Richey Edwards said:

We comfortably beat Raith Rovers (our title challengers) at Somerset twice during the title win season. Although we looked like making a Chris Brunt of that at one point.

The high lowpoint being the feeling after that televised Alloa loss where Craig Moore blazed his penalty into the Ochils

2 minutes ago, Oceanlineayr said:

The high lowpoint being the feeling after that televised Alloa loss where Craig Moore blazed his penalty into the Ochils

Probably the worst I've ever felt leaving a football game.