COVID-19 In Scottish Football

It's money from Barnett formula (following lottery grants made to England's National League then much larger funding made available to variety of sports a week or two ago). Down south no aid was given to EPL or EFL.

Scottish Premiership are getting £20M in loans.

Rest of SPFL, pyramid and womens are getting £10M in grants.

This is full breakdown:

Scottish Football

£20 million loan funding for the Scottish Premiership

£10 million in grants for all other levels outwith the Premiership – including tiers below the SPFL and women’s football

Scottish Rugby

£15 million in grants

£5 million in loan funding

Basketball

£300,000 in grants

Netball

£100,000 in grants

Motorsport

£400,000 in grants

Ice Hockey
and
Ice rinks

£200,000 in grants for ice hockey

£2 million in grants for ice rinks

Horseracing

£2 million in grants

Edited by HibeeJibee

1 hour ago, Ric said:

On another note, should the OF take the loans? They are clearly far better at insulating themselves from the financial realities of Covid and both are getting substantial income from European competition.

We've seen, in other sectors, larger companies either refusing to take money or returning money they have been provided from the Government. Admittedly with these being loans, rather than grants (like the lower leagues) it's not a "free payment".

They should take the loans if they require them, yes. As should every other club the loan facility is available to. 

£20M in loans for 12 clubs but Derek McInnes sounds about as glum his chairman:

Aberdeen boss Derek McInnes remarked:

"It seems like a lot of money but when you spread that out over everybody that has got a case for it and who is going to be in need of it...

"I don't want to sound ungrateful, but it is not going to go the full way for us. We have still got loads to do and loads to deal with."

4 hours ago, Swello said:

On the news that Scottish Football is getting £30m in Covd grants/loans - is there a reason that Rugby is getting £20m? Given the relative size of the sports and the number of pro clubs that need supported, the ratio seems odd to me.

My reaction was similar. Football is getting £10M in grants and £20M in loans... rugby union is getting £15M in grants and £5M in loans!

I assume it's as no autumn international crowds and likely no Six Nations crowds shatters them financially right down from elite to grassroots.

They only have 2 full-time clubs, 6 part-time and 100-odd amateur.

EDIT: Also seems to be nothing for shinty, rugby league or american football. I'd have thought their crowds - modest as they are - would rival netball/etc.

Also sports like athletics, cycling, swimming that stage occasional spectator events. Perhaps some seperate scheme tbf.

Edited by HibeeJibee

6 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

He sounds like he's just been given a £10 Next voucher for his Christmas.

"I don't want to sound ungrateful, but it is not going to go the full way for us. We have still got loads to do and loads to deal with."

1 minute ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

He sounds like he's just been given a £10 Next voucher for his Christmas.

"I don't want to sound ungrateful, but it is not going to go the full way for us. We have still got loads to do and loads to deal with."

Maybe they should stop shelling out undisclosed fees for guys like Hernandez while paying obscene wages and cut their cloth accordingly.....

Aberdeen boss Derek McInnes remarked:

"It seems like a lot of money but when you spread that out over everybody that has got a case for it and who is going to be in need of it...

"I don't want to sound ungrateful, but it is not going to go the full way for us. We have still got loads to do and loads to deal with."

Well yes but all businesses have things to deal with.
Does he expect all costs to be underwritten?
I'd assumed these elite clubs would be able to cope too.

20 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Your solution is to go back in time and magically predict a pandemic years before it happened?

Years? Hernandez signed in January 2020 when the WHO had already warned Covid was going to have an impact not only in China.

Edited by C4mmy31

1 minute ago, MacDonald Jardine said:

Well yes but all businesses have things to deal with.
Does he expect all costs to be underwritten?
I'd assumed these elite clubs would be able to cope too.

Reply does seem a bit churlish.

If that £20M was divided equally that's £1.7M for Aberdeen. If it was apportioned by crowds that's also £1.7M. Which is more than 10% of their turnover, and equivalent to say 85,000 matchday admissions (at £20).

Aberdeen were said to be losing a million quid a month at one point. No idea what their finances are like now, but how were they plugging that gap before? Were they seriously pulling in over a million quid a month before from hospitality and a few thousand walk up fans?

38 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Aye f**k him 

I set up my own business September 2019 so when this pandemic kicked off I got sweet f**k all from the government and have not had a penny since

McInnes should maybe come into the real world and see how the other half are trying to survive 

Maybe if he did not pay over priced shite footballers £10k a week I might have some sympathy with what he’s spouting 

14 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Your solution is to go back in time and magically predict a pandemic months and even years before it happened?

Every football club in the country had an opportunity to tighten their belts between the first and second waves. Instead the vast majority of Scottish football clubs decided to batter on as usual so if they have to face the consequences then that's just tough.

The SPFL clubs shouldn't even receive a penny of taxpayer's money considering that they've decided to operate their businesses and charge hilariously inflated prices for shan streaming services of their 'product'. There are far more deserving sectors than Scottish professional football, which other than rightly binning Hearts etc. has had an abysmal pandemic.

30 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

Should clubs openly admitting to breaking regulations they agreed to abide by even be allowed access to these lifeblood loans? 

Discuss. 

No doubt St Mirren and Killie's application ends up in an email folder undiscovered until 2022......

2 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

My reaction was similar. Football is getting £10M in grants and £20M in loans... rugby union is getting £15M in grants and £5M in loans!

I assume it's as no autumn international crowds and likely no Six Nations crowds shatters them financially right down from elite to grassroots.

They only have 2 full-time clubs, 6 part-time and 100-odd amateur.

EDIT: Also seems to be nothing for shinty, rugby league or american football. I'd have thought their crowds - modest as they are - would rival netball/etc.

Also sports like athletics, cycling, swimming that stage occasional spectator events. Perhaps some seperate scheme tbf.

As opposed to the Scotland national football team who have already missed out on a sell-out against Israel in addition to three other matches, and will subsequently miss out on two more crowds in March.

40 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

As opposed to the Scotland national football team who have already missed out on a sell-out against Israel in addition to three other matches, and will subsequently miss out on two more crowds in March.

Well it can't be just on club rugby alone.

Edinburgh Gunners and Glasgow Warriors average a few thousand fans each; Ayr, Boroughmuir, Heriots, Stirling County, Melrose and Watsonions a few hundred (if you're lucky); rest are amateurs playing before 2/low 3 figures, often by donation.

SRU heavily subsidise that 'Pro 14' pair + 'Super 6' outfits, though.

If the season finished now we’d stay up and Ross County would be relegated. They’d be relegated because of our COVID issues giving Accies a 3-0 win against us.
Mental.