Dundee Riots

ICTChris

1 hour ago, BILmac1967 said:

I seem to remember that Dundee was the only place where people tried to start a riot and looting when the London riots started in 2011, it never really took off though.

The press always seemed to report Dundee as a very antisocial place with a big drug problem compared to it's size.

Dundee’s drug deaths per 100,000 beats everything but Glasgow. The death rate is 8 time higher now than in 2000.

8 hours ago, BILmac1967 said:

I seem to remember that Dundee was the only place where people tried to start a riot and looting when the London riots started in 2011, it never really took off though.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2011/dec/12/dundee-teenagers-jailed-riots-facebook

Two teenagers have been jailed for three years for trying to organise a riot in Dundee using Facebook, at the height of the summer disturbances in England. Jordan McGinley, 18, and Shawn Divin, 16, claimed they had set up the page named "riot in the toon" as a joke, while urging Facebook users to "kill some fucking daftys", loot shops and attack the police on 17 August.

9 hours ago, BILmac1967 said:

The press always seemed to report Dundee as a very antisocial place with a big drug problem compared to it's size.

Not just Dundee.

Man arrested over inciting riot in Kirkcaldy - BBC News

2 hours ago, KingRocketman II said:

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2011/dec/12/dundee-teenagers-jailed-riots-facebook

Two teenagers have been jailed for three years for trying to organise a riot in Dundee using Facebook, at the height of the summer disturbances in England. Jordan McGinley, 18, and Shawn Divin, 16, claimed they had set up the page named "riot in the toon" as a joke, while urging Facebook users to "kill some fucking daftys", loot shops and attack the police on 17 August.

McGinley looks like a young Cain Dingle.

6 hours ago, KingRocketman II said:

A complete waste of public money bringing daft laddies to "justice"

3 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Couldn’t disagree more.

Spending, or being prepared to spend £250k in jail costs alone, for 2 people who posed no threat to the public is ludicrous. Add on the court, policing and legal costs it would be a stupid amount of cash.

What was the punishment given to the platform they used to post in the first place?

Facebook back then was utter shit posting, so I'm not sure their posts would have been taken seriously by anyone reading them, had a riot in Dundee occurred then perhaps there could be a case to answer, but there wasn't.

2 minutes ago, KingRocketman II said:

yep and unless some other movement happened elsewhere in the city, then to consider this as "people trying to start a riot and looting" is quite a leap by anyone's standards. 

L

Exactly, it was a poor joke and I seem to remember similar pages being made at the time with no consequences.

I'm waiting for the Kaiser Chiefs day in court for inciting riots around Britain

3 hours ago, 101 said:

Spending, or being prepared to spend £250k in jail costs alone, for 2 people who posed no threat to the public is ludicrous. Add on the court, policing and legal costs it would be a stupid amount of cash.

When in jail, one of them (Divin) turned to hard drug use. Last I heard - I used to work with his grandad - he was then in and out of jail quite a bit.

I taught both of these dafties.

They couldn't run a kiddies roundabout never mind organise a riot.

2 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:

When in jail, one of them (Divin) turned to hard drug use. Last I heard - I used to work with his grandad - he was then in and out of jail quite a bit.

Such a sad case from someone with no previous as far as I have read.

2 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:

Into the system, where it must be difficult to get out of, and yet, you've got morons on here agreeing with it.

1 hour ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I'm glad our jails are difficult to get out of.

Yeah, got a brother in law doing a deserved three stretch, gives me a break from listening to his tedious fucking shite.

Thank you.