Dundee Riots

ICTChris

16 hours ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

I work in the middle of this, in education* and every single year it gets worse and worse. No fucking hope, IMO. Thankfully bailing out soon.

*not a jannie.

Thank you.

16 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

^^^

75MK5EKHA5BODLFRO4SRFTB7NQ.jpg

11 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

The school was not wrecked - I also teach there.

6 windows in the community swimming pool area were panned in.

Not excusing it but there was worse damage elsewhere in Kirkton.

Wrecked as in smashed windows and the cars that were damaged  outside in the carpark. For sake of an argument I will retract wrecked and change it to tickled 😉

Not denying there was worse going on elsewhere, merely commenting on info which the person saw themselves. 

Apparently there were also people in the school using the gym at the time who were not being allowed out by the police (understandably so) due to what was happening outside but you will probably know that.

Absolutely no surprises to see Niddrie and Drylaw mentioned in that piece.

I'm sure the police enforced dispersion zones or something similar in the last few years. Did they not do this the other night?

Edited by RiG

9 hours ago, tamthebam said:

I passed through Niddrie last night in the early evening. There was a massive bonfire (actually thought a hoose was on fire) but all seemed fairly quiet

Niddrie isn't as rough as it used to be. Drylaw is ..

There was a documentary posted on YouTube showing Niddrie in the early 1980s and the old joke about burning the place down causing £50 worth of improvements rang true.  Abject place - all gone now with shiny new buildings etc.

12 hours ago, RiG said:

I'm sure the police enforced dispersion zones or something similar in the last few years. Did they not do this the other night?

A few years ago there was really serious trouble in Granton, I think the police were caught out and dozens of cars were damaged and quite a few people hurt.  They started doing the dispersal orders after that, I think targeted on Granton.  I guess people who are going to throw petrol bombs at police cars aren't really going to pay much attention to a dispersal order.

Reports in the local gutter press that some people in Niddrie and Duddingston took their kids out to watch the local young team attack the police.  

14 hours ago, RiG said:

Yeh they can still issue the dispersal orders, but its how you deal with it, you cant take juveniles (15-18) into custody really without them committing murder or similar serious offences so you’re taking them back to parents who cant or wont control them anyway (not always the parents fault). The criminal justice act reforms on arresting are nice in theory but they are taken advantage of. There are a number of recent changes made by the government that have made an already crumbling criminal justice system feel even more strain. 

I seem to remember that Dundee was the only place where people tried to start a riot and looting when the London riots started in 2011, it never really took off though.

The press always seemed to report Dundee as a very antisocial place with a big drug problem compared to it's size.