The Very Meh Humza Yousaf Thread.

Ludo*1

Yousef staying on while a new leader is selected would suggest Swinney is going to make a leadership bid instead of bailing out Yousef as temporary FM to save him from a humiliating and torrid time. Might be better just to call an early election instead of another lengthy and divisive contest to elect another leader without a proper democratic mandate. Hopefully they'd avoid holding it during the Euros though, and it would be great if the Murrell mess is finally settled by then.

Kate Forbes case an interesting one. Clearly her religion means that she holds personal socially conservative views on issues like abortion, gay marriage and the trans debate. There are some people within the SNP and outside of it who consider that should prevent her from ever leading the country, even though she hasn’t actually proposed to implement any socially conservative policies (to my knowledge). I think they’ll end up convincing Swinney to do it until the general election and then hold a proper contest after that. 

4 minutes ago, Lex said:

This is spot on. The SNP came to power in 2007 for goodness sake, to still be in power 17 years later is not normal.  The reality is they will probably still be in power in 17 years time. With the electoral set up there the only thing that could stop them forming a government is if there ever was a LAB/CON coalition, and although that does happen at council level, it ain't happening in Holyrood. 

This latest SNP administration was elected in 2021. Since then we've had the end of COVID and all the fall out and enquiries regarding that, the resignation and subsequent arrest of the lady who led the party into that election, the arrest and charging of the chief executive of the party, the long drawn out and at times bizarre leadership contest that led to Humza's coronation, the extremely divisive recognition bill and hate crime bills, the scrapping of their own green targets, the resultant ending of the coalition with the Greens and the subsequent resignation of the second SNP leader of this parliament.

It's not even been three years.  Not many parties in world politics would stay in power after all of that in such a short time, the SNP will. They'll get a third FM of this three year parliament sworn in, the show will move on, and they'll still be the largest party after the next parliamentary election. 

Only bit in there I'd take issue with is the Hate Crime and Public Order (Scotland) Act. It passed in the Scottish Parliament on 11 March 2021 - before the last Scottish Parliament election. Nobody had much of a problem with it then. It's only with it coming into force this month that it's been scooped into the whole culture war bullsh*t by UK and international media.

4 minutes ago, RH33 said:

I thought Swinney was leaving at end this cycle? 

If Swinney takes it I think it will be on a short term basis to steady the ship through the general election. I think he will ride off into the sunset in a year to allow someone else 12 months in the job before the Holyrood election. 

6 minutes ago, JS_FFC said:

I think they’ll end up convincing Swinney to do it until the general election and then hold a proper contest after that. 

If they were stupid enough to follow that course of action I suspect there would be precious little left to be leader of.

4 hours ago, ICTChris said:

The sensible approach would be "Give it Swinnsy til end of season" so I fully expect them to do something insane.

Give it Swinnsy getting mentioned on TV there. Not very inspiring stuff. Two more years of treading water with a grey wee man who the SNP got bored with last time he was leader. Yawn.

Do they have to wait until 2026 for the next Holyrood election to blow away the cobwebs?

Edited by Scary Bear

For years, the SNP acted like it was looking out for the people of Scotland, a lot of policy that helped everyone, Tuition and prescription fees, the bedroom tax etc. 

In the last couple of years, they have come up with some unworkable policy that is hard to swallow for some of its support and is pounced on by the media. Most of that has stemmed from the greens. For him to stand down now and his comments during the weekend, he came across as a damp flannel. 

Now, the labour/tory coalition will downvote everything put forward to essentially render the current government useless. the new leader needs to be able to come in and show up labour and the Scottish Tory’s for the frauds they are, someone with some fight. That’s not John Swinney.

If there's one person who can end this phase of hysteria and turbulence, and tread some water by imposing some droning, tedious inertness instead, it's this guy.

Some may call him a technocrat - I'd say he is a boring fud.

image.jpeg.7497fb5bdd80b40f2e22684b9d8d1f3b.jpeg

8 minutes ago, VictorOnopko said:

If there's one person who can end this phase of hysteria and turbulence, and tread some water by imposing some droning, tedious inertness instead, it's this guy.

Some may call him a technocrat - I'd say he is a boring fud.

image.jpeg.7497fb5bdd80b40f2e22684b9d8d1f3b.jpeg

Like an EPL team appointing Scott Parker.