Arbroath v Ayr United

A couple initial thoughts:

First of all, I'm absolutely delighted.  Its no secret that I wasn't happy with the management, and what I wanted to see was a performance improvement, and a performance improvement we've got!  That's 3 games in a row where we've either won, or been able to take positives from.  That's a big improvement all round!

Today, I thought the first half was quite even, but in the second half, it felt like we found another gear.  Ayr had opportunities down the left with McGeady (who clearly still has it), but I felt we had the better chances throughout.  Turan had some nice touches and was involved, but I did think he was being isolated out on the left wing and being asked to play as a winger, and bringing Hylton on was a good decision.   

Our players looked absolutely committed, but you can still see a hangover from last season though, we looked absolutely terrified when we were holding a lead.  If we can win a few more, I'm sure that confidence will build and the goals will come easier.  

Really great feeling - without looking back, I can’t remember the last time we won two league games in a row.

The fight and attitude is almost as pleasing as the results and the attacking threat is night and day compared to last season.

Nothing to fear v Airdrie in two weeks. Let’s hope we make Gayfield a tough place to visit again.

Magic.

10 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

A couple initial thoughts:

First of all, I'm absolutely delighted.  Its no secret that I wasn't happy with the management, and what I wanted to see was a performance improvement, and a performance improvement we've got!  That's 3 games in a row where we've either won, or been able to take positives from.  That's a big improvement all round!

Today, I thought the first half was quite even, but in the second half, it felt like we found another gear.  Ayr had opportunities down the left with McGeady (who clearly still has it), but I felt we had the better chances throughout.  Turan had some nice touches and was involved, but I did think he was being isolated out on the left wing and being asked to play as a winger, and bringing Hylton on was a good decision.   

Our players looked absolutely committed, but you can still see a hangover from last season though, we looked absolutely terrified when we were holding a lead.  If we can win a few more, I'm sure that confidence will build and the goals will come easier.  

Definitely a confidence issue - we make openings where normally you'd get a shot away, but instead overplay it and the chance passes. Hopefully comes with more positive results. 

Was thinking today that we maybe need another striker - if Bird or McIntosh is injured then we don’t really have anyone else and it would pretty much ruin the way we play. 

Turan has been good in recent weeks but think it’s clear to see his best position is wide left, he made no real impact at all uptop and the way we play the game would completely pass him by. 

He was good today but so was everyone, that again was a committed Arbroath performance, we made it extremely tough for Ayr to play or do anything. McGeady must have hated that. 

Think we deserved the 3 points but it was a very cagey game at points. 

Delighted and again Airdrie at home another winnable one, it’ll be a complete contrast in style but I hope we play like we have last 3 and get fired right in about them and play the direct way we do. 

Also on McGeady that has a wee touch of the Scotty Allan’s about it, clearly got a lot of ability but the game seemed to pass him by because he’s no up to speed. 

Fair play to Albinson too, thought it was sound of him to get the game stopped even when Ayr had the ball so that Bird could be looked after. Good lad 

That referee is fucking hopeless too 

12 minutes ago, RAITHROVERS84 said:

Well done Abroath, good couple of wins. Thought you might be whipping boys but clearly got something going.

It’s early days still but I didn’t really get that at the start of the year - despite our low finish last season we drew about 16 games, won 6, so from 36 games we only actually lost 14 which isn’t even too bad.

The problem was always uptop and out wide we were the lowest scorers in the country and we’ve signed well in they areas over summer. About as good as we possibly could’ve in all honesty considering part time / hybrid status. 

I thought Dowser had a good game, was surprised to see him subbed, but it worked out so fair play,,, bad miss by Hylton at end woulda probably flattered us to win by more than 1 but woulda took it all the same.... And aye that ref is rank rotten he was same last season, full of his own importance..... FUD!! 

6 hours ago, AuAl said:

A rancid second half. 

We had no movement and no width. Toothless and so frustrating to watch.

Thought the two in centre mid were neat and tidy, but not a forward pass between them

1 hour ago, ecto said:

Thought the two in centre mid were neat and tidy, but not a forward pass between them

Agreed. Excited by the prospect of that midfield if they can become more established and a better system is developed for them to work in. They were brave in always showing for ball and weren't afraid to get stuck in. But as you say we really struggled to play forward through the lines, which was the real worry for me.

Just wasn't a discernable plan for how to make chances and break Arbroath down as far as I could tell. By contrast, I was regularly saying to the guy next to me how impressive Arbroath's organisation and plan was. Seemed to get into shape very quickly when necessary but knew what to do to keep it fresh when breaking forward.

8 hours ago, Tattie36 said:

Really great feeling - without looking back, I can’t remember the last time we won two league games in a row.

The fight and attitude is almost as pleasing as the results and the attacking threat is night and day compared to last season.

Nothing to fear v Airdrie in two weeks. Let’s hope we make Gayfield a tough place to visit again.

Magic.

You beat QP & Ayr back to back in March - part of seven-match unbeaten league run!

Before that, April 2022.

5 hours ago, Cardle is Magic said:

You beat QP & Ayr back to back in March - part of seven-match unbeaten league run!

Before that, April 2022.

Yeah Ayr was our last home win, it was the day Hammy done his hammy live on BBC Scotland. 

My mate text me last night saying that it was our first home win in 18 months, he’d been told that by someone at the game and believed it 😂😂 shows you how bad Gayfield has been for us in recent times. 

When I told him that was a lot of shite and that only 15 months ago we were actually going for the league title he could hardly believe it