Lichties vs Rovers, 13 Dec…

On 10/12/2023 at 14:13, clashcityrocker said:

Arbroath will be doing exceptionally well to get anything from this match - surely an easy away win.

A combination of injuries and loss of form should secure Raith an easy 3 points (with Jack Hamilton getting on the score sheet).

Oh god, if Clashy, the world's most positive and upbeat Arbroath fan, thinks its going to be an easy 3 points for Raith, then this could easily be double figures.

Not having this as a routine away win, especially on a windy December evening.  We’ve shown down to our own injuries at the back that we are liable to shipping goals. 

That said, IF our marvellous forward players click then it’ll be on Abroath to try stop them. 

It’s the different ways we attack that have me buzzing and is a massive part of our run. We can go route 1 onto big Jack Hamiltons dome, lovely balls in from Mullin and Millen, driving runs into the box from Stanton and technical trickery from Easton and Vaughan. Hitting the line and cutting back recently has seen success. 

Would love a win here to set up a massive match on Saturday. 

1-2 Rovers Stanton and Hamilton.

Don’t think we’ve “won easily” in the league so far this season so no reason to think that’ll change on a cold windy night up in Arbroath.  Yes they’re on a bad run but have just brought in a new manager so things can change with a team if he finds the right system. I’d expect Arbroath to play very much with a solid defence above all else as bringing back confidence usually starts by stopping the goals being conceded and then working on the attack. It’s likely the onus will be on our attackers to break them down.  We’ll certainly need to ensure we don’t concede a goal and go 1-0 down and really could do with getting an early lead. Tough game, hopefully an away win and hopefully they’ve got Steak and Black pies left. 

If we park the bus, play a 4-5-1 formation and look to catch them on the break it might be the best option available ?

We are making errors due to lack of confidence - but at some point we need to turn the corner.

Also, due to injuries a number of fringe players are getting a good opportunity - this is their chance to shine.

I will take a point now if it's on offer - the only encouraging sign is that a number of Raith fans are worried about losing this match ( I have seen absolutely no evidence to suggest Raith will struggle - but please prove me wrong).

2 minutes ago, clashcityrocker said:

only encouraging sign is that a number of Raith fans are worried about losing this match

Even though we’re 10 unbeaten we’ve actually not put together a full 90 minute performance, hence why all league victories have been by a solitary goal. A number of those have also been from being behind and scoring late goals.

Its been fantastic but we’re not pumping anyone other than the Pars and Hamilton in cups. 

We like to give teams a 20 minute spell where we lose the plot. It’ll be on your team to try nick a goal or two. 

I’d rather win a tight encounter here and pull out a level 10 performance on Saturday.

1 hour ago, San Starko Rover said:

Don’t think we’ve “won easily” in the league so far this season so no reason to think that’ll change on a cold windy night up in Arbroath.  Yes they’re on a bad run but have just brought in a new manager so things can change with a team if he finds the right system. I’d expect Arbroath to play very much with a solid defence above all else as bringing back confidence usually starts by stopping the goals being conceded and then working on the attack. It’s likely the onus will be on our attackers to break them down.  We’ll certainly need to ensure we don’t concede a goal and go 1-0 down and really could do with getting an early lead. Tough game, hopefully an away win and hopefully they’ve got Steak and Black pies left. 

There's an absurd number of games over the years where we'll go up against a team low on confidence, and they'll end up winning against all odds.

Off the top of my head, Cowdenbeath and Falkirk were really bad for it before. Still remember the COVID season where Queen of the South played a school kid in goals making his debut at 16 and we didn't have a sniff at goals.

1 hour ago, Broken Algorithms said:

There's an absurd number of games over the years where we'll go up against a team low on confidence, and they'll end up winning against all odds.

Off the top of my head, Cowdenbeath and Falkirk were really bad for it before. Still remember the COVID season where Queen of the South played a school kid in goals making his debut at 16 and we didn't have a sniff at goals.

I always go back to the season when a dying, homeless Clydebank won one game all season on a miserable Tuesday night at Cappielow.

I hate being overly confident with the Rovers, but this team are made of different stuff.

Going against the grain slightly (and fully in the knowledge that this will come back to bite me if I'm wrong) but I'm expecting a comfortable away win tomorrow.

I agree that in previous seasons this would be exactly the type of game that we would slip up in, with perhaps one eye being on the game on Saturday as a factor.  However, I think this team have shown enough times already this season that they're made of tougher stuff.

If we play even close to our potential up front, I just can't see them containing us.  If we go ahead, they would need to come out a bit more which just opens them up even more to our attacking options.

I think we will finally win a league game by more than 1 goal in this game and am predicting a 4-0 Rovers win.

Duncan on one of the Podcast episodes pretty much summed up how I'm feeling in that I'm very uneasy how well things are going. Each week I think the wheels will come off but the team keep pulling things out the bag. Any win will do tomorrow. 

1 hour ago, Double Jack D said:

I always go back to the season when a dying, homeless Clydebank won one game all season on a miserable Tuesday night at Cappielow.

I hate being overly confident with the Rovers, but this team are made of different stuff.

Pretty sure Clydebank only collected 9 or 10 points in total for the season, 5 of them from us 

1 hour ago, Double Jack D said:

Had to look that up as had vague memories it was ex Rover Ian Cameron with the goals for Clydebank and turns out it was. Bumper crowd of 256. Has to be the lowest 2nd tier league attendance you'd imagine. 

I expect we will see a few changes here, it will be interesting the see the level of which Murray freshen things up. Brown, Connolly and Smith seem certainties to come into the side. Reading between the lines of Murray’s post match interview I would expect Gullan to start too. Could potentially see Corr involved as well.

However, it’s obviously a fine balance between making enough changes to give everyone the minutes they deserve and making too many changes it disrupts the rhythm of the side.

Players/fans/management could be forgiven for having one eye on the huge game on Saturday but if we show any complacency we will come up short. It’s easy to forget when this fixture was originally scheduled Arbroath would have been very confident of a result given their form at the time, there’s a decent team somewhere in there and the new manager bounce may help get something more out of them.

Ultimately, it’s two sides at the opposite ends of the spectrum in terms of confidence at the moment, if we show the level of performance and attitude we have in the last few weeks then we should have enough to get the win but given we haven’t won any league game by more than a goal and rarely win by more than a single goal at Gayfield, I expect it to be tight. I’ll go 2-1 Rovers. Would be great to go to Tannadice still on a good run and full of confidence.

5 minutes ago, keyser_soze said:

Pretty sure Clydebank only collected 9 or 10 points in total for the season, 5 of them from us 

1999-2000, two years before Clydebank were bought and welded onto the failed husk of Airdrie. Clydebank scored 10 points that year, 5 of them from the Rovers.