If your club went bust, who would you support instead?

scottsdad

25 minutes ago, stevieKTID said:

When I first moved to The Netherlands in 2001 I was living in Haarlem and would regularly go and watch HFC Haarlem, even when I eventually moved to Amsterdam I'd go through on a Friday night to see them, they went bust in 2010, interestingly their last game in paid football was a 3-0 away defeat against....yup you guessed it Excelsior.

I remember when Haarlem went bust. I immediately said I feared more clubs would follow. And unfortunately, I was proven right, 3 more clubs followed within a few years (Veendam, AGOVV & RBC), with those 4 spots ultimately being filled by those useless B-teams.

Unfortunately, Haarlem didn't even manage to restart in non-league. All 3 others have a non-league club with (nearly) the same name playing in the same ground. Out of those, RBC is doing the best by far. Started in the 10th tier, now up to the 6th tier in which they are runaway leaders and are looking very likely to get promoted to the 5th tier, which is a part of the "division system" at the top of the pyramid and back in semi-professional football (although plenty of clubs in tiers 6 and below do pay but officially it's amateur). 

For me it's simple - Alloa. I grew up in Alloa, and have been to see quite a few of their games over the years. Saw them knock Kilmarnock out of the cup years ago. 

The only reason I didn't grow up as an Alloa fan was that my old man took me to Brockville as a kid, as he was a Falkirk fan. 

Can you imagine the sweet release of not having most of your weekends ruined by a bunch of unsynchronised idiots just because of the colour of shirt they're wearing. This sounds like the dream.

I've always wondered this. I think (think) if I was prepared to reinvest my emotions in a club, then it would probably be Albion Rovers. I've always had a soft spot for them, I love Cliftonhill, we've had a lot of the same players (and managers) and it's easy for me to get to.

But I got into football going with my dad. And he's currently following wherever my brother is; so I'd maybe end up just going along with him to wherever he's playing. Football is as good a time as any to catch up with your old man. So, if it happened right now, then I'd probably be at Arthurlie games until the end of the season at least.

If it was based purely on playing squad then I'd happily be a Raith Rovers fan tomorrow. Muzz, Kevin, Sam, Lewy :wub:

Guest DannyBlue

When Hibs are away, I usually go to some East of Scotland game that appeals most on the day. I guess I'd continue doing that and no doubt I'd grow more attached to one over the others, would never be the same, though. Although I've always had a weird soft spot for East Stirling, they were always the worst team you could go in the old LMA Manager games so I'd go them and see how far I could go, kinda developed a wee soft spot for them as a result so possibly might end up there.

Not as if I've never had to think about this scenario.

I'm not sure I'd be able to just attach myself to another club in the same way; I grew up with the Livi stadium being a stone throw away from my house, desperately listening to the crowd from my window with Sky Sports News on when I was too wee to be allowed to go. Then convincing them that I can go on the supporters bus up to Peterhead and down to Queen of the South because grown-ups will look after me (terrible parenting, btw.)

I'd probably just pop along to the odd nearby game, maybe do some form of ground hopping. Most likely I'd use the saved cash and just follow Scotland about everywhere.

My partner's dad is an Everton fan and her brother's an Exeter fan (been to a good few Exeter games when we've went down to visit), so I suppose I'd have the option of making a weekend of it and going to watch them every now and then.

2 hours ago, LiviLion said:

I'm not sure I'd be able to just attach myself to another club in the same way; I grew up with the Livi stadium being a stone throw away from my house, desperately listening to the crowd from my window with Sky Sports News on when I was too wee to be allowed to go. Then convincing them that I can go on the supporters bus up to Peterhead and down to Queen of the South because grown-ups will look after me (terrible parenting, btw.)

I'd probably just pop along to the odd nearby game, maybe do some form of ground hopping. Most likely I'd use the saved cash and just follow Scotland about everywhere.

My partner's dad is an Everton fan and her brother's an Exeter fan (been to a good few Exeter games when we've went down to visit), so I suppose I'd have the option of making a weekend of it and going to watch them every now and then.

Livingston don't count.

6 hours ago, LiviLion said:

Most Livi fans jumped to a new team. Probably easier than you think 

I was a Meadowbank Thistle fan. As far as I am concerned they died in May 1995. So I followed a pal to Edinburgh City. 

Lightning kind of struck again when the last board of shysters changed the name of Edinburgh City and I disagreed with that so I had a season following other teams. With City having piddled about the East of Scotland League for most of the time I've watched them you would usually bump into someone you knew at those games, even if it was a referee! 

My second team would I suppose be Dunbar United as a pal has watched them since Meadowbank stopped. There's a lot of good guys there and the pies are nice. I also know folk who follow Broxburn Athletic, Spartans, Musselburgh, Hibs, Hearts, East Stirlingshire, Civil Service Strollers, St Anthony's, Buckie Thistle and others so I wouldn't be stuck for choice!