Rovers 🔵 ⚪️ v Pars ⚫️ ⚪️- 9th March

Just now, chris1883 said:

I absolutely love how posting a story of how our social media has got to the Dunfermline players, and there claims that DAFC are more respectful has the 'fermline fans wetting themselves to justify Sammy and his Tank again. 

It was literally just an example of how you are no more respectful than our socials have been. Calm down people!

Telt ye. 

45 minutes ago, chris1883 said:

Hit a nerve there... didn't I!

My point was not around anything other than the fact one of your team stated you would be more respectful, when there is evidence you have not been in the past.

(P.S. It was also your local MP that took offence... who worked greatly with DAFC.)

Think we’ve found the guy that wrote to the paper about a man in a bear costume, sitting in a cardboard tank. 

38 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Seems a bit needy, and just reinforces the idea that Raith need us a lot more than we need them. All IMO of course. 

Steady. 

The derby games give both teams a wee boost financially and are excellent games for encouraging (and hopefully keeping) casual fans along to watch their local side.

We're mutually beneficial to each other. 

Sammy the Tammy and his tank, only thing that got blown away was the minds of Rovers supporters, by a cardboard tank. Yes, that is correct, it was made of cardboard, which incidentally is obviously more sturdy than the mettle of some Rovers supporters. 

Your support, social media team, your board and management team all have us hanging over you. You can't shift us from being embedded in your mind. Utterly obsessed. Top section of the league and your social media team produces digs and reference to the Pars, odd, very odd indeed. 

I think we'll beat you tomorrow. It'll give you something to greet about.

4 minutes ago, Ebanda's Handyman Services said:

Steady. 

The derby games give both teams a wee boost financially and are excellent games for encouraging (and hopefully keeping) casual fans along to watch their local side.

You reckon, boooorrraagghh 😄 

41 minutes ago, chris1883 said:

I absolutely love how posting a story of how our social media has got to the Dunfermline players, and there claims that DAFC are more respectful has the 'fermline fans wetting themselves to justify Sammy and his Tank again. 

It was literally just an example of how you are no more respectful than our socials have been. Calm down people!

You're wrong, again. Which is what the crux of this is. 

People aren't wetting themselves, but on here if you make bullshit claims you will get pulled up on them, thems the breaks. 

I only wish you'd been on PnB after that game, at least then you might have been funny. 

5 minutes ago, North West said:

Sammy the Tammy and his tank, only thing that got blown away was the minds of Rovers supporters, by a cardboard tank. Yes, that is correct, it was made of cardboard, which incidentally is obviously more sturdy than the mettle of some Rovers supporters. 

Totally agree with this, I personally thought it was a great wind up by Sammy.

If our socials are going to dish out a bit of stick them we have to be prepared to take a little back. 

It's supposed to be a bit of fun but there's far to many snowflakes out there willing to take offence at anything they see.

Just imagine waking up on a Friday morning and your first thought being “I need to go online to post about that man in a bear costume, that sat in a cardboard box 13 years ago”… 3 posts about this in in about 20 minutes and he claims it’s other people ‘wetting themselves’ 😳

For what it’s worth, I’ve got no issue with Raith’s social media posts. I’ve said that before, it’s just a bit of fun. I wasn’t even aware of that tweet before the Morton game, until I read the courier article that was referenced above.

You can see why players who have been drawn into these images might feel like they want to get back at them, but I don’t think anyone’s losing sleep over it.

Edited by CallumPar

I don't follow the wee team's social media but I heard a few examples of their escapades on the Terrace podcast recently and they made me chuckle. That's what football is about, bit of silliness at times in between the grind of the bore that is the majority of games. 

Aye, I fully get why the players in involved in them would feel annoyed (I thought it was McPake in the GoKart, and Wighton and Benedictus might well feel slighted), but social media is all about that content. I've posted before but I feel some of it is more suited to tiktok where teams taking the piss out of each other seems a bit more common, but we're splitting hairs. 

We tend to use the medium of a giant bear to rip the pish. 

0_JS298184186.jpg.4c5e979fcc3a9cf38bdf6a236f38e9ce.jpg

To be fair, Sammy and his tank was much better quality than that absurd train Tifo, probably cost less to make too. 

Social media is all about engagement, doesn't matter if its positive or negative, its overall numbers that earn money and reach. Fair play to them overall. 

2 minutes ago, HoBNob said:

Aye, I fully get why the players in involved in them would feel annoyed (I thought it was McPake in the GoKart, and Wighton and Benedictus might well feel slighted), but social media is all about that content. I've posted before but I feel some of it is more suited to tiktok where teams taking the piss out of each other seems a bit more common, but we're splitting hairs. 

We tend to use the medium of a giant bear to rip the pish. 

0_JS298184186.jpg.4c5e979fcc3a9cf38bdf6a236f38e9ce.jpg

What goes around comes around. Remember McPake this time last year, after the Falkirk game? Post-match interview he made a comment about how we had more corners, so that counts as two wins. That’s what rivalries in football should be. It’s a bit of harmless banter.

1 hour ago, Ebanda's Handyman Services said:

Steady. 

Only in the context of social media output. I don't think we ever really mention other teams unless it's directly about the game itself? Might be wrong of course. But even last year when we were winning the Seaside Division, I can't remember our twitter feed mentioning Falkirk except before/after we played them?

34 minutes ago, CallumPar said:

What goes around comes around. Remember McPake this time last year, after the Falkirk game? Post-match interview he made a comment about how we had more corners, so that counts as two wins. That’s what rivalries in football should be. It’s a bit of harmless banter.

Which kind of adds to the point - I'm not too fussed either way when it's before/after the game. But when you beat say Queens Park and the first thing to come out on social media contains a dig about Dunfermline, it looks a bit needy and unnecessary. I don't think it's bad or naughty or anything and I dare say it's helped them with numbers and engagement, but it's a bit small time IMO.

Sammy the Tammy in the tank was funny.  I screamed abuse to him at the time but just in the same tribal way any football fan would.  I actually think most Rovers fans thought it was pretty funny.  We even made a game out of it in our fan app  where Roary Rover kicked balls at the tank to blow it up.

I also think our social media this season is brilliant.  It serves two purposes:

- to engage with our own fans (and you only need to look at our crowds this season to see that it's working)

- to drive engagement, which increases the exposure for the club and our sponsors (which lets us charge them more next season)

Having a wee dig at Dunfermline when we're not even playing them is very much in the first category.  They're preaching to the choir, knowing that we'll all love it.

Upsetting some fans of other clubs (and the emphasis is on some as I think most level-minded people think it's all a bit of a laugh) helps with the second part.  The "sliding into Sunday" tweet wouldn't have got nearly as much coverage if it wasn't for some United fans greeting about it in retweets.

Final point on this is that if we dish it out we have to expect to get some back when things go wrong.  Livingston rightly had a wee dig when they knocked us out of the cup.  It was well-deserved and I thought it was funny.  If Dunfermline win tomorrow, I'm sure we'll get it tight but that's fair enough.

Ultimately, football is (or certainly should be) a chance to forget about other issues and be part of a bigger family for a few hours on matchday.  It's supposed to be fun.  We all know that the actual football part isn't always fun so let's not try to rip the fun out of the rest of it too.

I can’t believe that folks are coming down on our kind and considerate Sammy. He truly is a bear that cares.  He even considers the comfort of Falkirk fans in the cold weather, and you know how we all feel about them. 
IMG_7014.thumb.png.48cab7a162a4c1b62d43a4db1aa94720.png

FWIW I think the approach on social media that RR have taken this year is decent, the only thing is when you set your stall out like that you're going to have to take the backlash when it comes. Was great for RR when winning, but then you just became a target. Any slip ups and you had teams from all over jumping on and having a pop, but worth it and as long as it's all just a bit of banter then I think it's fine.

I'm not really fussed about the stuff they've posted about us, of course it looks a wee bit obsessive at times because you can bet if we were battling it out with Dundee Utd for the title we probably wouldn't give you a second thought, but I understand, you're getting one over us and that's fine.

I'm sure Mr McGuigan mentioned it on AVFTT the other week after you posted the video of Jack Hamilton sliding into the Utd keeper that if the roles were reversed and Dundee Utd posted that he'd be livid, and that's where football fans are such hypocrites.  

The Pars had really decent social media output back about 8-10 years ago, but people moved on and now it's more basic, however I noticed yesterday that the boy that does Stenny's (who is a Pars fan) is taking over as head of media next year at East End, so maybe we'll see a bigger social media output next season.

1 minute ago, The Toun Clock said:

FWIW I think the approach on social media that RR have taken this year is decent, the only thing is when you set your stall out like that you're going to have to take the backlash when it comes. Was great for RR when winning, but then you just became a target. Any slip ups and you had teams from all over jumping on and having a pop, but worth it and as long as it's all just a bit of banter then I think it's fine.

I'm not really fussed about the stuff they've posted about us, of course it looks a wee bit obsessive at times because you can bet if we were battling it out with Dundee Utd for the title we probably wouldn't give you a second thought, but I understand, you're getting one over us and that's fine.

I'm sure Mr McGuigan mentioned it on AVFTT the other week after you posted the video of Jack Hamilton sliding into the Utd keeper that if the roles were reversed and Dundee Utd posted that he'd be livid, and that's where football fans are such hypocrites.  

The Pars had really decent social media output back about 8-10 years ago, but people moved on and now it's more basic, however I noticed yesterday that the boy that does Stenny's (who is a Pars fan) is taking over as head of media next year at East End, so maybe we'll see a bigger social media output next season.

Mike Mlotkiewicz was really good with the Pars social media stuff when he was at the club. You were definitely ahead of other clubs back then.