Alloa v Queens

15 hours ago, Rory said:

Wonder if Cammy wasn't fully fit? Felt Robbo was poor today, we usually have Cammy or Ethan overlapping and putting crosses in but Robbo just played backwards 90% of the time. Our full backs attacking and playing high has been one of our strengths this season. 

Buchanan one of the few players to get pass marks. Felt he should have had a free kick when he was tripped and could see Andy was angry at the refs decision.

14 hours ago, printer said:

Robbo was about ten times better today than Cammy was at Kelty; he was just Robbo, a solid, composed performance.

our subs seemed a bit haphazard

14 hours ago, Waspie said:

Take out Wales and Steven and our attacking threat is obviously really diminished. Didn't help either that we had midfielders at full-back and it did look a bit makeshift.

For me Robbo was a bit of a hinderence to us yesterday as @Rory said, almost everything was negative in terms of always looking to play backwards. Without being left sided you could see he couldn’t really get down the left to suppport Sutherland, which probably helped contribute to Ethan having such a poor game. That’s not on Robbo though and fits in with the other comments about the subs and looking makeshift - yesterday was like seeing a Brian Rice team being put together again, and although the absence of Wales and Steven obviously make a huge difference, I don’t believe we needed to be so makeshift yesterday - that’s unfortunately on Andy. 

Other than his first game against Edinburgh, I’d say that’s the first time Andy has really got anything wrong but there were a few things I would have changed yesterday. Firstly, left back for me 100% needs to be a predominantly left footed player. With both Cammy and Sutherland able to play there (although admittedly neither are natural defenders) we shouldn’t have been needing to have Robbo there in the first place (bar an emergency!). If Cammy wasn’t fit then I can’t understand why you wouldn’t start Sutherland there with Coulson ahead of him. Very much a Chipper special of square pegs in round holes. 

Felt there was then another mistake when Morgyn Neill went off as there was the opportunity to switch Robbo on to the right hand side while bringing on Cammy or Coulson. Ironically I would have brought Miko on anyway after 15/20 minutes for LD (pushing Scougall forward) as we needed some bite in the middle of the park. No way LD should have been on as long as he was, especially off the back of his performance on Tuesday, and he looked absolutely gassed in the first half. I’m surprised with the amount of game time he’s had after such a lengthy time out. 

As others have said, Buchanan pretty much the only one with pass marks yesterday although he should score right at the start. He’s unlucky when Kilsby fouls him in the 2nd half as well as it’s red with no cover (seeing the arm going across Buchanan from behind the goals I can understand the ref not seeing it but disappointed the linesman hasn’t picked it up). 2 incidents that obviously change the game but in truth Queens were the better team, wanted it more and deserved the 3 points. 

Turned out to be a get out of jail free day with the Cove and Montrose results but that’s a very disappointing week in which I really would have been looking for a minimum of 3 or 4 points, which would have cemented our hopes for a playoff position. It’s an absolute must win next week and hopefully Bobby Goals (and Taylor Steven for that matter) is back as we look pretty toothless up front without him.

43 minutes ago, Kevchenko said:

For me Robbo was a bit of a hinderence to us yesterday as @Rory said, almost everything was negative in terms of always looking to play backwards. Without being left sided you could see he couldn’t really get down the left to suppport Sutherland, which probably helped contribute to Ethan having such a poor game. That’s not on Robbo though and fits in with the other comments about the subs and looking makeshift - yesterday was like seeing a Brian Rice team being put together again, and although the absence of Wales and Steven obviously make a huge difference, I don’t believe we needed to be so makeshift yesterday - that’s unfortunately on Andy. 

Other than his first game against Edinburgh, I’d say that’s the first time Andy has really got anything wrong but there were a few things I would have changed yesterday. Firstly, left back for me 100% needs to be a predominantly left footed player. With both Cammy and Sutherland able to play there (although admittedly neither are natural defenders) we shouldn’t have been needing to have Robbo there in the first place (bar an emergency!). If Cammy wasn’t fit then I can’t understand why you wouldn’t start Sutherland there with Coulson ahead of him. Very much a Chipper special of square pegs in round holes. 

Felt there was then another mistake when Morgyn Neill went off as there was the opportunity to switch Robbo on to the right hand side while bringing on Cammy or Coulson. Ironically I would have brought Miko on anyway after 15/20 minutes for LD (pushing Scougall forward) as we needed some bite in the middle of the park. No way LD should have been on as long as he was, especially off the back of his performance on Tuesday, and he looked absolutely gassed in the first half. I’m surprised with the amount of game time he’s had after such a lengthy time out. 

As others have said, Buchanan pretty much the only one with pass marks yesterday although he should score right at the start. He’s unlucky when Kilsby fouls him in the 2nd half as well as it’s red with no cover (seeing the arm going across Buchanan from behind the goals I can understand the ref not seeing it but disappointed the linesman hasn’t picked it up). 2 incidents that obviously change the game but in truth Queens were the better team, wanted it more and deserved the 3 points. 

Turned out to be a get out of jail free day with the Cove and Montrose results but that’s a very disappointing week in which I really would have been looking for a minimum of 3 or 4 points, which would have cemented our hopes for a playoff position. It’s an absolute must win next week and hopefully Bobby Goals (and Taylor Steven for that matter) is back as we look pretty toothless up front without him.

We'll need to agree to disagree on Robbo, Kevchenko. For me we've been weak defensively at left back and Cammy was a bombscare there on Tue. I can't remember Jon losing the ball all game (I'd far rather he passed the ball back or sideways to a team mate, rather than punt the ball aimlessly forwards when a forward pass isn't on - that's not negative, it's what a good footballer does), or making a significant defensive error

It looked to me like Miko was maybe going to come on anyway before Neill broke down, but perhaps that was going to be precautionary re Morgyn. I thought myself like you that he was possibly coming on for LD.

I really like Luke Donnelly but he's a player that struggles to fit into our system. When he's playing as the most advanced of our midfielders I think that it takes a bit away from the midfield as a whole. I wonder if his best position for us would be as the main striker (not that he's displacing Bobby Wales). It would be a bit unconventional as he likes to drop deep and he isn't an out and out goalscorer, but if you were to pair him with two wide players who would support him and a number 10 who was able to run beyond it might work.

Mind you I'm pretty sure that he played wide right when he came on loan to us from Celtic.

19 minutes ago, printer said:

We'll need to agree to disagree on Robbo, Kevchenko. For me we've been weak defensively at left back and Cammy was a bombscare there on Tue. I can't remember Jon losing the ball all game (I'd far rather he passed the ball back or sideways to a team mate, rather than punt the ball aimlessly forwards when a forward pass isn't on - that's not negative, it's what a good footballer does), or making a significant defensive error

It looked to me like Miko was maybe going to come on anyway before Neill broke down, but perhaps that was going to be precautionary re Morgyn. I thought myself like you that he was possibly coming on for LD.

Agree about Cammy on Tuesday and would say he hasn't been great for a few weeks - whether that has anything to do with being swapped around a bit with Sutherland I don't know, but would say he isn't playing as well as he was earlier in the season,

Although I do agree that Robbo didn't lose possession much I would argue that he did miss opportunities to move the ball forward when passes were on, and my view at the time was that it usually looked as though it was because a left footed pass would be needed. Can only really recall 1 instance in the first half where he moved the ball up the line quickly (ironically with a first timed right footed pass!).  That's where I get the 'negativity' from, there were opportunities for him to go forward or move the ball forward but his first instinct was to look backwards. You could actually see it in his body position when he was looking to receive the ball, more often than not he would be facing infield with his back to the touchline as opposed to looking to face forwards down the wing - makes it much more likely that he is going to look to play the ball back/sideways. Don't want this to sound like a Robbo bashing (the things i have mentioned would be things you would expect of a right footed player), as again, I don't believe he should have really been at left back in the first place. Think it's only fair that Andy gets the same stick as Rice would have with regards to that selection, despite his legendary status. Hopefully it's a one-off.

14 minutes ago, Dink said:

I really like Luke Donnelly but he's a player that struggles to fit into our system. When he's playing as the most advanced of our midfielders I think that it takes a bit away from the midfield as a whole. I wonder if his best position for us would be as the main striker (not that he's displacing Bobby Wales). It would be a bit unconventional as he likes to drop deep and he isn't an out and out goalscorer, but if you were to pair him with two wide players who would support him and a number 10 who was able to run beyond it might work.

Mind you I'm pretty sure that he played wide right when he came on loan to us from Celtic.

I do think that. Having him in the 18 yard box defending seems really counter-intuitive to me. He's the best at holding the ball up when his footwork is up to scratch, I wouldn't fancy being the one trying to get the ball off him. Leave him as the outball and get balls into his feet - or head because he's still a big bean pole.

56 minutes ago, Dink said:

I really like Luke Donnelly but he's a player that struggles to fit into our system. When he's playing as the most advanced of our midfielders I think that it takes a bit away from the midfield as a whole. I wonder if his best position for us would be as the main striker

When I first saw the line up I thought he was going to be up front with Roy Scougs and Buchanan as the three, Robbo sitting with Roberts and Sutherland at left back.

Can't fault LDs efforts tracking back but you could see he was knackered before the end of the first half.

8 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Weird mingling of surnames, first names and nicknames in all these posts about  Alloa players.

I think it's a status thing.

I petition never to call Buchanan by his surname again. 

He will only be known as his nickname "steg" from now on.

21 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

I petition never to call Buchanan by his surname again. 

He will only be known as his nickname "steg" from now on.

I think that means his status has risen, but it's hard to decode all the intricacies of naming rituals among you lot.

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Weird mingling of surnames, first names and nicknames in all these posts about  Alloa players.

I think it's a status thing.

Status relating to individual players or the team being in third place?

38 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I think that means his status has risen, but it's hard to decode all the intricacies of naming rituals among you lot.

Those intricacies are outlined and explained in detail on a big lump of stone standing at Gartmorn Dam. 

It's a bugger updating it each close season.

16 minutes ago, printer said:

Status relating to individual players or the team being in third place?

😂 I was meaning the first one, but yeah, status isn't really our thing these days.  So vulgar.

34 minutes ago, Rory said:

Is Daniel Church injured? How's he been for you this season? Was nice to see him make the move up to full time after a good season for us.

Injured again. Haven’t seen much of him to be able to give an assessment so far. 

50 minutes ago, Rory said:

Is Daniel Church injured? How's he been for you this season? Was nice to see him make the move up to full time after a good season for us.

Injured as Aloreburne says. I think he's looked ok from the brief spells we've seen him. I'd have him as our starting LB if given the choice. Not been impressed with Kilsby at all. 

Church was brilliant at crossing with us. His delivery from the left hand side was excellent but he was brutal at defending and was surprised When he signed for Qots. We have not had a decent left back since Liam dick. A problem area for us along with the centre of our defence. . 

10 hours ago, Kevchenko said:

Agree about Cammy on Tuesday and would say he hasn't been great for a few weeks - whether that has anything to do with being swapped around a bit with Sutherland I don't know, but would say he isn't playing as well as he was earlier in the season,

Although I do agree that Robbo didn't lose possession much I would argue that he did miss opportunities to move the ball forward when passes were on, and my view at the time was that it usually looked as though it was because a left footed pass would be needed. Can only really recall 1 instance in the first half where he moved the ball up the line quickly (ironically with a first timed right footed pass!).  That's where I get the 'negativity' from, there were opportunities for him to go forward or move the ball forward but his first instinct was to look backwards. You could actually see it in his body position when he was looking to receive the ball, more often than not he would be facing infield with his back to the touchline as opposed to looking to face forwards down the wing - makes it much more likely that he is going to look to play the ball back/sideways. Don't want this to sound like a Robbo bashing (the things i have mentioned would be things you would expect of a right footed player), as again, I don't believe he should have really been at left back in the first place. Think it's only fair that Andy gets the same stick as Rice would have with regards to that selection, despite his legendary status. Hopefully it's a one-off.

I didn't agree with all of the decisions yesterday but one key point here - Andy was missing a number of players whereas Brian Rice picked people out of position pretty much every week when he just didn't need to. Don't think it's a fair comparison at all as such, and also given Andy has clearly been going with men in their most effective roles until now. As printer has said, there was also logic behind the decision given Cammy has struggled a bit (and also questions over fitness I believe). With some questions over Sutherland at LB too I can see why he went with Robbo, who will always be solid even if it isn't his natural side. It wasn't an outlandish decision at all. 

All that said, I'd have moved Robbo over and put Sutherland at LB when Neil went off, but again you can see why he did it. Not comparable with Rice. 

The debate over Donnelly is interesting. Such a talented player and there were times against Kelty when he linked brilliantly with Coulson and Steven on both sides and Wales in front, but he's always a bit of an enigma and can disappear from games. He's still coming back from long term injury but as it stands with a full strength side I'd put Scougall back in that role (and Stevie with Roberts in the deeper two). 

15 hours ago, Rory said:

Injured when he arrived and had 2/3 more sustained periods out. 

Not a fan really, looks slow and not a solid defender. I was excited about him signing but possible that injuries/Bartley dragging him down. 

1 hour ago, Broony88 said:

Injured when he arrived and had 2/3 more sustained periods out. 

Not a fan really, looks slow and not a solid defender. I was excited about him signing but possible that injuries/Bartley dragging him down. 

Aye, can't say I was too impressed with him either, although harsh to judge on limited times he has played and Bartley's tactics.  maybe a slight upgrade on Logan (when played on left) and McIntyre, but Kilsby is probably better defensively if not attackingwise.