General Election 2024

1 hour ago, Richey Edwards said:

Odds on Starmer being pictured eating a breakfast item and for it to f**k up his campaign?

... before tumbling into the surf Kinnock-style on a beach in Cleethorpes.

3 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

😂😂😂😂

Nae luck, m8. 

How long was she expecting to be in the job given that when she started the election would be in the next 6 months or so at most. 

31 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

With all the Tory MPs resigning they have a lot of candidates to select in a very short space of time. Labour and the Lib Dem’s are way ahead of them in this regard. could be some humdinger candidates slip through the net.

Could be Big Duncs next career move.

Of course, the scary thing here is that, if Sunak hasn't simply given up then he's looked at what's forecasted coming down the road for the UK and decided that 30 points behind in the polls and a stagnant, fucked up economy is somehow more optimal....

2 hours ago, doulikefish said:

7 weeks of "Stop the boats" will be really exciting 

Until the refugees up their game and start comin' across in one of these........

Ship Navy GIF by World of Warships

52 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Salmond got the referendum because Cameron thought he had no chance of winning, and went on to think that Project Fear would work just as well in the Brexit referendum so he didn't bother putting a proper pro EU campaign together. Sunak looks like trying the same old, but has likely just had enough of a losing battle, internally as well as electorally, and is looking at Nick Clegg's post political career closely.

I think Cameron, May and other Tories took a lazy approach to campaigning.  Why bother when the gutter press does all the work for you.

Often that works fine but sometimes the gutter press has a different agenda to the Tory leader, especially on Brexit, and Cameron failed to see that.

Posted (edited)

Not nearly enough consideration to how Scottish local authorities will actually deliver this election.

The first two weeks in July are by far the most popular for summer holidays. Parents of school-age children - more than 1.5 million voters - have a 7 week window for their holidays and the first two weeks are by far the best for cost and options.

This is especially true in the public sector and local government. I'd bet at least half of all Returning Officers have a foreign holiday booked and paid for. Teachers in particular take the first two weeks.

They get additional pay for working elections but it's nowhere near enough to incentivise staff to cancel holidays and then try to rebook when most holidays are already booked.

Polling station and count staff are mostly local government employees, and a very high proportion of them are teachers. They're simply not going to be around and I'm not convinced local authorities will be able to find enough people to cope. You need a reasonable proportion that have done it before, especially as this will be the first election with voter ID.

Lots of schools have maintenance work over the summer - do they postpone that and if so, are UK government going to compensate local authorities?

There will be massive demand for postal and proxy votes from people who will be on holiday. I wouldn't be surprised at a million applications in the next few weeks. Do local authorities have the staff for that?

Big increases in demand for postal votes in recent years have lead to them being sent out increasingly late. Anyone going to Germany should get a proxy, postal ballot papers probably won't be sent out until after they leave.

This is a massive logistical pain in the rrse.

I've seen cringey fkwits calling these concerns parochial, which is a mental enough take, but there's no chance any country would arrange its elections for peak holiday time. The French would burn the AN to the ground if they organised an election in August.

Edited by GordonS

1 minute ago, GordonS said:

Not nearly enough consideration to how Scottish local authorities will actually deliver this election.

The first two weeks in July are by far the most popular for summer holidays. Parents of school-age children - more than 1.5 million voters - have a 7 week window for their holidays and the first two weeks are by far the best for cost and options.

This is especially true in the public sector and local government. I'd bet at least half of all Returning Officers have a foreign holiday booked and paid for. Teachers in particular take the first two weeks.

They get additional pay for working elections but it's nowhere near enough to incentivise staff to cancel holidays and then try to rebook 

Polling station and count staff are mostly local government employees, as a very high proportion of them are teachers. They're simply not going to be around. You need a reasonable proportion that have done it before, especially as this will be the first election with voter ID.

Lots of schools have maintenance work over the summer - do they postpone that and if so, are UK government going to compensate local authorities?

There will be massive demand for postal and proxy votes from people who will be on holiday. I wouldn't be surprised at a million applications in the next few weeks. Do local authorities have the staff for that?

Big increases in demand for postal votes in recent years have lead to them being sent out increasingly late. Anyone going to Germany should get a proxy, postal ballot papers probably won't be sent out until after they leave.

I've seen cringey fkwits calling these concerns parochial, which is a mental enough take, but there's no chance any country would arrange its elections for peak holiday time. The French would burn the AN to the ground if they organised an election in August.

You think Sunak actually gives a f**k?

2 hours ago, SlayerX said:

In terms of elections, if you're Scottish and you vote for an English party (Labour, Conservative, Greens, Lib Dems) then the photograph below is you:

If you live in Scotland you literally can't vote for the English Greens. And if you don't know the why you should probably do a bit of learning before expressing opinions on politics.

Just now, TONTROOPER said:

You think Sunak actually gives a f**k?

Of course not. I'm only talking about the logistics of democracy, about which most political commentators and journalists know nothing.

I guarantee that there are 32 local authority chief executives having crisis meetings tonight. I wouldn't be surprised at a statement from SOLAR, SOLACE, EMB or someone very soon. 

7 minutes ago, GordonS said:

They get additional pay for working elections but it's nowhere near enough to incentivise staff to cancel holidays and then try to rebook when most holidays are already booked.

Polling station and count staff are mostly local government employees, and a very high proportion of them are teachers. They're simply not going to be around and I'm not convinced local authorities will be able to find enough people to cope. You need a reasonable proportion that have done it before, especially as this will be the first election with voter ID.

100%. It's almost like Scotland is an afterthought - they would never in a million years have scheduled an election for the English school holidays. 

If any Tory SPAD or hanger-on thought about this for more than 10 seconds I'm pretty sure their conclusion would have been "good, 95% of Scottish people under 65 don't vote for us anyway so it'll cost Labour and the SNP votes".

If there are issues with organising polling stations then the Tories will probably blame the SNP for that too.

3 minutes ago, VictorOnopko said:

100%. It's almost like Scotland is an afterthought - they would never in a million years have scheduled an election for the English school holidays. 

If any Tory SPAD or hanger-on thought about this for more than 10 seconds I'm pretty sure their conclusion would have been "good, 95% of Scottish people under 65 don't vote for us anyway so it'll cost Labour and the SNP votes".

If there are issues with organising polling stations then the Tories will probably blame the SNP for that too.

An 'afterthought' would be a start !

57 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

😂😂😂😂

Nae luck, m8. 

What a disaster for the Tories' social media darling. At least a 5 year delay until she can be parachuted into a safe seat after carrying someone's bag for a parliamentary term. 

Earlier I wondered whether Labour would bother campaigning given their massive polling lead, now I'm wondering if the Tories will bother. It sounds like even if they could win, they wouldn't want to...

Quite frankly. All the parties standing in the election are dreadful. Not one of them commands any respect. Westminster is an utter cesspit.

What a bloody choice for the elecorate. UK is fucked.