Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

1 minute ago, Rugster said:

Cheers. Yes, the one the microfilter and hub are plugged into has an ancient BT logo, I think it is the master, but there's also a wire coming out of it going into the skirting, but it may be the way it's been installed, ie on the skirting and not the wall so the wire is visible going in. The phone is plugged into one of those wee extension things which appears from under the laminate, but I can't find anywhere that is actually plugged into - there's no splitter coming out of the master so it's a strange one - kind of hard to explain. The only saving grace is it's worked absolutely fine up until now - hopefully we get a decent engineer who will take that on board and detect the fault. Fingers crossed.

Sounds like thats the master. Im pretty sure the wire going into ours is on the skirting too. They're easy enough to get into, just a couple of screws, if you feel the need to check the wires inside

14 minutes ago, Rugster said:

Broadband and phone fucked at home. On the phone to SKY last night, and they've detected a fault. Problem is the set up in our house isn't quite "normal". There are phone points all over the place and extensions everywhere etc. The fucker who owned the house before was obviously some kind of hopeless DIY fidget because it's the same with telly points, everywhere, and the wiring in the kitchen when we got a new one fitted was like spaghetti junction. An engineer is coming out today - great service by the way, call last night at 9pm, engineer booked today - but I'm worried he's going to take one look and say they can't do anything as it's not a standard plate etc. Anyone any experience of shit like this? Anyone know how much it would cost to get a proper master phone socket installed ? :(

Do you only use the socket with the BT logo on it?  If so and you're confident enough to do it, if you can figure out which cable is the one bringing the telephone line in (if the socket is as old as you describe it might be the one with the pair connected to a couple of screw terminals on the main plate) you could disconnect everything else and that will remove all the internal wiring to the different sockets about the house.

Without seeing it I couldn't say though.  Feel free to open it up and send me a picture of the socket if you like.

Just now, KnightswoodBear said:

Do you only use the socket with the BT logo on it?  If so and you're confident enough to do it, if you can figure out which cable is the one bringing the telephone line in (if the socket is as old as you describe it might be the one with the pair connected to a couple of screw terminals on the main plate) you could disconnect everything else and that will remove all the internal wiring to the different sockets about the house.

Without seeing it I couldn't say though.  Feel free to open it up and send me a picture of the socket if you like.

Cheers - engineer is out this afternoon and I'm at work just now, if he says he can't do anything I'll take some photos when I get home tonight.

Just now, KnightswoodBear said:

Is it a BT engineer or a Sky engineer?

It was SKY I called, but the last time there was a fault it was an Open Reach engineer who came out. Not sure who it's going to be this time.

Just now, Rugster said:

It was SKY I called, but the last time there was a fault it was an Open Reach engineer who came out. Not sure who it's going to be this time.

It'll probably be Openreach if it's specifically the line and Broadband.  If you don't use any of the other sockets in the house, ask if he can disconnect any internal wiring extensions from the NTE5 (Master socket) it would take him 2 seconds and you'll also find that your broadband might run a bit better as well without a load of, no doubt, cheap shitty cable hanging off it like a big aerial to pick up all the interference that stuff like your fridge and TV pump out.

If he does make sure that everything like phones and computers that you have connected are all working before he goes just in case there is something somewhere in the house that you are using.

This bloody football match tonight!

Being Scottish and a football fan I am contractually obliged to watch it even if I don't want to.

I know that even if I take myself off to another part of the house and try to immerse myself in another activity come 7.30 I will find myself on the couch in front of the tv with a beer.

There I will shout at the tv, leap off my seat shouting " FFS " several times. At the end of the experience I will probably be mighty pissed off. At least the dog will be ok. He died a few years ago!

To paraphrase Trainspotting. Sometimes it's sh*te being Scottish

6 minutes ago, WILLIEA said:

Being Scottish and a football fan I am contractually obliged to watch it even if I don't want to.

I know that even if I take myself off to another part of the house and try to immerse myself in another activity come 7.30 I will find myself on the couch in front of the tv with a beer.

There I will shout at the tv, leap off my seat shouting " FFS " several times. At the end of the experience I will probably be mighty pissed off. At least the dog will be ok. He died a few years ago!

Pretty much this.  I'll watch it.  I'll get wrapped up in it.  I'll be fucked off after it.  I don't want to do any of these things, but I will.

6 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

To prevent man-children burning out the motors by pretending they are jedis opening doors with the force.

6 hours ago, Gaz FFC said:

Why do the shops buy these rather than the door that opens wi the motion sensor?

The man-children yes and probably because it gets a tad chilly in the winter. There also isn't always the space for those doors, a lot of shops have a fairly narrow front but go way back from the street once you are inside

2 hours ago, WILLIEA said:

You're lucky, my clock is set for 02:30 to get up and put myself  through this torture. :(

Watching Simple Minds live in hackney on the tv (fuckin brilliant by the way) and seeing the usual c***s who go to a cracking gig and spend most of it watching a live gig on their phone screen recording it and probably not going to watch again. Why can't people just go and live for the moment when it comes to gigs??

What channel was that on?

7 hours ago, KnightswoodBear said:

Pretty much this.  I'll watch it.  I'll get wrapped up in it.  I'll be fucked off after it.  I don't want to do any of these things, but I will.

Called it!

It's a congenital disease and it's fuckin painful