Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

I don't doubt it's real. They are professional athletes and want to win every match they compete in. I just doubt if given the choice of a Grand Slam or a gold medal any of them would pick a gold medal. Everyone competing in the Olympics wants to win gold, but if given the choice I imagine they would forfeit the chance of gold for a chance at a major tournament. Compared to say a gymnast whose main goal in their career is surely a to win a gold medal at an Olympic games.

Did you see Puig last night after winning the gold in the woman's competition? She was ecstatic.

2 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Do you think a tennis player would prefer a gold medal to a Wimbledon title?

That's a silly argument.

Should they not play the US Open if they would rather have a Wimbledon medal?

That car alarm I mentioned in another thread that has been bothering me went off at 2 am earlier. Probably been hearing this alarm for a few months now but I honestly can't remember how often it's been going on but it's quite a busy area and it surely disturbs a good few dozen people at least. Should I take the number plate down and report it so the owner gets hit with an ASBO? My thinking has always been that someone else was going to report the thing but it's obliviously not been addressed. It surely must wake the owner of the vehicle up as well so I'm pretty baffled as to why it goes on for so long. Maybe the person just parks there and lives elsewhere but who ever owns the car is an absolute c**t.

33 minutes ago, throbber said:

That car alarm I mentioned in another thread that has been bothering me went off at 2 am earlier. Probably been hearing this alarm for a few months now but I honestly can't remember how often it's been going on but it's quite a busy area and it surely disturbs a good few dozen people at least. Should I take the number plate down and report it so the owner gets hit with an ASBO? My thinking has always been that someone else was going to report the thing but it's obliviously not been addressed. It surely must wake the owner of the vehicle up as well so I'm pretty baffled as to why it goes on for so long. Maybe the person just parks there and lives elsewhere but who ever owns the car is an absolute c**t.

I'd write the number down and where it's parked so the next time it goes off you can phone the cops and they should be able to hear it over the phone, and tell them it happens all the time. 

I actually haven't seen the car it's coming from as its round the corner but I'm going to do this because no one else in the vicinity can have done it! I got a fright when it woke me up and I couldn't get back to sleep for the anger it cost me! Having awful day today because of it.

23 minutes ago, throbber said:

I actually haven't seen the car it's coming from as its round the corner but I'm going to do this because no one else in the vicinity can have done it! I got a fright when it woke me up and I couldn't get back to sleep for the anger it cost me! Having awful day today because of it.

You're very angry these days throbber. I'm getting worried about you.

You're very angry these days throbber. I'm getting worried about you.

Well this particular annoyance is awful as the individual concerned is clearly not addressing the problem which makes me think they can't be fucked fixing it no matter how much of a disturbance it is for dozens of people! I actually want to confront the individually, as it is though I just hear the alarm from my flat but next time I hear it I'm going down so I can see the vehicle myself and leave a note saying w****r on it.

3 hours ago, GingerSaint said:

The argument against Tennis and Golf are that the Olympics should be for amateur athletes.

A ridiculous proposition. IOC members are making more from their Olympic per diem than 99% of the athletes competing earn from their sport in a year, yet people want the athletes to earn less? It'd be like the US college system where the people generating the profit can't even accept a free hamburger.

Can't be fcuked with these amateur only sports events as they just come over as a Europa League type tournament rather than the full blown 'best of'.

Eta: Also, seeing a fire engine fire past (pun not actually intended) and automatically getting that "I turned the iron off, right?" niggle.

When a footballer scores a late away goal in front of the travelling fans, then runs the opposite way instead of celebrating in front of them. Leroy Fer did this at the weekend.