The New Raith Rovers Thread

The reality might be we can’t afford to go up, I know that might be a bit silly. But you never know. If we don’t go up via the play offs which is a distinct possibility then we should be looking a hybrid of full time and part time. We should as a club be able to cherry pick the best part timers. But our stock is quite low at the moment with our free fall attitude.

Why would we not be able to afford to go up?

Loving the sack Smith stuff on here. Is there an example anywhere of a manager being sacked whilst top of the league? Delusional fans as usual. You're a wee team in a wee league and you're top of said wee league. Get a grip! Take your 3 points on Sunday and get on with it. I've never understood why Raith feel they have this divine right to be a championship/premier team. You did well in the 90's, 20-30 years ago. Times change

Loving the sack Smith stuff on here. Is there an example anywhere of a manager being sacked whilst top of the league? Delusional fans as usual. You're a wee team in a wee league and you're top of said wee league. Get a grip! Take your 3 points on Sunday and get on with it. I've never understood why Raith feel they have this divine right to be a championship/premier team. You did well in the 90's, 20-30 years ago. Times change

I’m no expert on East Fife’s history but I was stunned to look at the league table and see them just six points off a play-off place, when 99% of fans would’ve sacked Darren Young already. That seems like success for East Fife, no?

Football fans are fickle. This isn’t news.

Besides, Smith will obviously get to the end of the season. Which is fair enough, his remit is promotion and we’ll be in the play-offs.

5 minutes ago, fatdoug1938 said:

Did Deadeye Dick not get sacked while he had Ross County at the top, look at the disaster that turned out for them.

I’m no expert on East Fife’s history but I was stunned to look at the league table and see them just six points off a play-off place, when 99% of fans would’ve sacked Darren Young already. That seems like success for East Fife, no?

Football fans are fickle. This isn’t news.

Besides, Smith will obviously get to the end of the season. Which is fair enough, his remit is promotion and we’ll be in the play-offs.

99% is probably a little high. I'm a realist and while I wouldn't have been too bothered if Young had gone, I recognise that he's on a 2 year deal for a start and we can't afford to pay someone off but also, any manager dealing with lower league footballers is going to go through sticky patches because the players are inconsistent, hence they're playing in League 1 in Scotland.
People forget that which is annoying!

On a side note, glad to see Barr getting stick. He was pish for us and never understood the fascination with him. If he was inconsistent he'd be ok!

John Brown was sacked by Dundee in February 2014 after they lost 3 on the trot, dropped to 2nd place and were behind Falkirk who had a superior goal difference...don't think you could get a better example.

Oh and Dundee went on to win the league.

What I'm most worried about is that Smith in his post match interview is saying he doesn't ask the team to play long and wants us to play it on the deck. Either that's a lie or the team are failing to or willingly not following his instructions as we've played long for 29 matches this season.

2 minutes ago, baillieinleeds said:

Read it again, we MIGHT not be able to go up. And I also said that might be silly. Anything to have a go eh!!

Might not be that silly, I've been told a few times in the last few months that we can't afford to go up.

Read it again, we MIGHT not be able to afford to go up. And I also said that might be silly. Anything to have a go eh!!

“The reality might be we can’t afford to go up.”

I have read it again, I’m asking why that might be the case, as I don’t understand it. Our gates are down by over a third this season, surely it’s more a case we definitely can’t afford to stay down.

“The reality might be we can’t afford to go up.”

I have read it again, I’m asking why that might be the case, as I don’t understand it. Our gates are down by over a third this season, surely it’s more a case we definitely can’t afford to stay down.

Of course we can’t afford to stay down. But what are the club doing about it?

1 hour ago, fatdoug1938 said:

Dundee sacked their manager when they were top of the league. Might have done it twice (Cowboy and that mad Rangers guy). I’m pretty sure there have been other examples too. Not that i’m In favour of sacking Smith.

We don’t have a divine right to be in the Championship but we appreciate that extended periods in the Seaside league will drain our fanbase and possibly leave us where the likes of East Fife or Cowdenbeath are. Kirkcaldy is a town of 50,000 people, which is large by Scottish standards and which should be able to support a Championship team.

Edited by Scary Bear

4 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

Dundee sacked their manager when they were top of the league. I’m pretty sure there have been other examples too. Not that i’m In favour of sacking Smith.

John McCormack was sacked by Dundee in early 1998 when they were top of the league. 

Jocky Scott took over - they clinched the title with games to spare at Starks Park. 

8 hours ago, CALDERON said:

The same players who shat it against Brechin also had us something like 18 points clear in 4th the season before.

It cannot be underestimated how much bad coaching and some horrendous attitudes have cost us in the past 18 months.

Partly true, but the significant upturn in fortunes under Mckinnon came when we signed Connolly, Longridge, Panayiotu and Hardie. 

Add James Craigen and an ever present Kevin Cuthbert into the mix and that goes a long way to explaining our ability to turn draws into narrow wins under Mckinnon. 

12 minutes ago, Specky Ginger said:

John McCormack was sacked by Dundee in early 1998 when they were top of the league. 

Jocky Scott took over - they clinched the title with games to spare at Starks Park. 

Did they sack Jocky when they were top too? I seem to recall a 3-0 defeat at Airdrie finished him. Where were they in the league at that point? John Brown was either too or a kick in the arse off it when they binned him.

1 hour ago, baillieinleeds said:

Read it again, we MIGHT not be able to afford to go up. And I also said that might be silly. Anything to have a go eh!!

Simm is already on record as saying that we're £350,000 a season worse off being down here.

Three wins in the last ten games - unacceptable for a team looking to return to the Championship at the first attempt. I made a lot of noise in the heat of the moment last night about how we should dispense of Smith, but i've woken up and feel exactly the same. Many will point to us being unable to afford to sack him - a point I understand - but there was a figure of £350,000 quoted as the amount of income we are down by being in this division compared to the Championship. Can we afford that for another season? If we stay down we should absolutely go back to part time, it's clear there's barely any playing advantage to be had anyway.