The New Raith Rovers Thread

3 minutes ago, grumswall said:

I personally think England have it pretty spot on with how the playoffs work for the championship. It's a massive game and is one that is promoted like f**k to the point it's been labelled as the richest game in football in the past. County where clearly the better team over the two games but for two seasons in a row have had to stay up via playoff games. They should have been relegated last season with thistle being up. The premiership here is stale as f**k with the same teams playing in it and obviously the same two teams winning it every season since iv been alive. How do you promote it? How do you improve it? The split works with that to an extent but with the current size of leagues, the only way to actually change it up is by having a higher turnover of teams, which isn't going to happen with second bottom not being automatically relegated. 

Yeah, fair. There might be an argument that the top division teams are stronger because of the low turnover, rather than the other way round.

47 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

Is it though? I'd personally prefer a larger top division but whilst it remains 12, it's difficult to justify automatically relegating two. Likewise, automatically promoting two from a division of 10. County have just demonstrated that there's a fair gap between the two divisions.

Circular but...

The reason for the gap is because there is only 1 relegation place. 

1 minute ago, Pull My Strings said:

Yeah, fair. There might be an argument that the top division teams are stronger because of the low turnover, rather than the other way round.

It just stands to reason that clubs at this level don't have access to same level of money as clubs in the top league so would therfore not be as strong. The way our game is setup is trickle down economics and even the plastic pitch situation is another example of us paesants being held back imo. Every club will rightly look to protect themselves but it's definitely a case of short-termism looking at the current setup imo. 

1 hour ago, tazz1903 said:

Anne Budge ,proposed 3 leagues of 16 ,But the Idiots rejected this , just to see Hearts relegated ? just a silly bitch fest attituded 🤔 Look at them now? back in the premiership , We could have the top 4 in the championship up in the TOP League ? but silly bitchness stopped that 🤬

Anne Budge proposed no such thing. She proposed a 14 team top flight, reverting back to 12 after two seasons, in a shameless attempt to keep her own club in the premiership.

Box to box we were as good as County today (not so much on Thursday), but in box boxes they were miles ahead of us. I don't think for a minute  that County, in their current guise under Cowie, were even close to being  the second worst team in the Premier and but for the mind boggling appointment of that fruit loop Adams, would have finished comfortably clear of 11th.

Another thing, can we cry a halt to the collective circle jerk over Ross County & Don Cowie?

They were far better than Rovers over two legs, there’s absolutely no denying that. They did, however, finish 11th for a reason & that reason is simply not as clear cut as Derek Adams. Or Malky Mackay, for that matter.

Roy MacGregor might well throw a bit of money at the squad this summer. They might even pull in a higher gate because of the bin fire happening down the road at Inverness. Ross County will almost certainly still be juking it out down the bottom of the Premiership with Don Cowie next season.

Posted (edited)

Just got home a wee while ago , nothing like a 10 hour away trip! Even though the result was awful glad I went , it’s been an amazing season, really looking forward to next already. 

Edited by mrpaddyx

1 hour ago, raith1974 said:

Not only will we pump them but so will Falkirk.

Yeah bet your all looking forward to welcoming the Rape Apologist back to his old stomping ground. 

Just now, da_no_1 said:

Yeah bet your all looking forward to welcoming the Rape Apologist back to his old stomping ground. 

The first game against Falkirk at Starks Park is going to be very interesting. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Pull My Strings said:

Is it though? I'd personally prefer a larger top division but whilst it remains 12, it's difficult to justify automatically relegating two. Likewise, automatically promoting two from a division of 10. County have just demonstrated that there's a fair gap between the two divisions.

There are a few leagues across UEFA where the top flight is 12 teams

1 auto relegation place and no playoff: Austria

1 auto relegation place and playoffs: Scotland, Finland (same format as us except 3rd vs 4th and 2nd vs winner of 3rd/4th are over 1 leg but winner vs 11th is over 2 legs), Northern Ireland, Slovakia, Switzerland (all 11th vs 2nd over 2 legs)

2 auto relegation places and no playoff: Bosnia, Denmark, Hungary, Iceland, Wales.

2 auto relegation places and playoff: North Macedonia (10th vs 3rd in one off game at neutral venue). The mad b*****ds.

So fairly even split between relegating one and two. 

It's more on the match thread but I think the bigger issue is potentially the payments for teams coming down, I think Hearts in 2014/15 were the first team to win the 2nd tier the season after coming down in years and years, but it's happened 4 years in a row now and not many people are doubting it would have been 5 if County had come down- though of course Livi might do it as well.

Edited by Fuctifano

Well that’s it for the season been plenty of Ups and a few downs, great memories and some nightmares but as a whole we done better than expected and that’s a credit to everyone. Board, Management, players, Staff and the fans. 

my honest opinion on next season is we’ve got a good bulk of the squad signed up BUT I think today was the last we might see for some, I reckon Dick, Watson, Easton, one of the GKs and a few others will be away… as for contract extensions I reckon Matthews and Corr will stay, Byrne I’m 50/50 on as he may have other suitors who may offer more it’ll be interesting to see what we do this summer. 

So what are the transfer rumours?

INS 
Stevenson - can see it

Hanlon  - think he’ll stay in Prem

Chalmers - can and can’t see it plays same position as Connolly and Mullin

OUTS

Millen gone

Easton - Motherwell rumour still there

Byrne - seeing a Partick rumour

I don't think there will be a massive clear out because you need continuity and some times the character of the player is as important as there talent.

Despite being in limbo as to where we would play for so long I expect there will be players lined up already.

Looking at who's out of contract I'll go for the following. 

Released

Watson 

Ross

Millen

McGill

Back to parent club 

Turner

Ashcroft

Rudden

J Brown

Offered terms 

Dick

Matthews

Corr

Thompson

McNeil

Byrne 

Moving on

Easton

3 minutes ago, pub car king said:

I don't think there will be a massive clear out because you need continuity and some times the character of the player is as important as there talent.

Despite being in limbo as to where we would play for so long I expect there will be players lined up already.

Looking at who's out of contract I'll go for the following. 

Released

Watson 

Ross

Millen

McGill

Back to parent club 

Turner

Ashcroft

Rudden

J Brown

Offered terms 

Dick